The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Wild Card with different cards (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Huzzah
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Huzzah
Hi everyone! I'm not new to magic, but I am new to the Café so I apologize if this has been answered recently, but I'm working on a new wild card routine. Most WC routines involve 9 or so duplicates of card A changing into 9 or so duplicates of card B. Does anyone know of any versions where the initial set consists of different cards rather than duplicates of card A? Even if there are a few duplicates that's alright, but I'd be very interested in studying one where every single card isn't the exact same. Thanks!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I'm not entirely sure what you mean as far as when/where the cards change to another card but you might want to look at Tommy Wonder's "Tamed Cards". It is a really nice set where it is a traditional A to B change then he can go to the next table/group and do the same routine changing card B to C. Next group sees card C change to D and finally a group sees D change to A. Basically, if someone from the first group saw all the cards change from A to B and happened to see part of the next groups, they would see all of the B's (that were made at their table) turn into C's. It is EXACTLY what should be happening if the cards really changed. Bar None, the best "wildcard" plot/effect out there.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Huzzah
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Huzzah
Thanks. I agree, Tommy's is the best, not just in effect, but also in presentation. It's one of the few wild card routines with a good motivation and reason for changing the cards. Most others that I've seen involve the magician changing the cards for no other reason than just "because I can".

To clarify what I'm looking for, my routine is going to just be a packet trick, there will be no deck in play whatsoever and unlike most versions, it will be a packet of many different cards. So for example, rather than a packet of 4 of clubs, 4 of clubs, 4 of clubs, 4 of clubs, 4 of clubs, 4 of clubs, 4 of clubs, 4 of clubs, and 9 of diamonds all turning into the 9 of diamonds. It would be something like: 4 of clubs, 5 of hearts, king of clubs, 3 of spades, jack of diamonds, 7 of diamonds, 8 of hearts, jack of clubs, and 9 of diamonds all turning into the 9 of diamonds.

Now I do of course have a very meaningful presentation to this so what I'm looking for is some existing routines that I may be able to study and learn some new methods and ideas for dealing with the disadvantage that I can't show the same card 4 times and pretend like I've shown the entire packet.

Also, this is just the effect. With regards to the method, there will of course be some additional 9 of diamonds (or whatever the end condition card is) hidden, but to the audience, it will appear as though I have a packet of many different cards
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
In Qua-Fiki's Wild Reindeer Games described in The Wizards' Journal #23, he began experimenting with using nine different reindeer cards (including Rudolph!) against some Santa Helper look-alikes using a variation of the wild card principles. Then again in The Wizards' Journal #25, he did it again in his "More Bunny Business." So you could probably use his ideas to use all different playing cards, but he would find that boring.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Wesley James has one in his book, Enchantments.

The packet/duplicate approach is easier to carry/sell than the full deck items from Robert-Houdin and Hofzinser.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of supremefiction
You can use the black queen to change red pip cards (6, 8, 9s) into Black kings and jacks.
Shikina
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
260 Posts

Profile of Shikina
I would check out the routine "Poor Charlie" which is described in The Complete Works of Derek Dingle. It's a Wild Card style routine set to a gambling theme in which both faces and backs change. It's a fun alternative to the direct A to B approach found in nearly all traditional WC handlings.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
"Impromptu Wild Card" from the Classic Magic of Larry Jennings uses cards from a normal deck in a wild card routine. Paul Cummins explores a similar plot in "The Workingman's Wild Card" from the booklet, 'From a Shuffled Deck in Use' (FASDIU).
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2017, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean as far as when/where the cards change to another card but you might want to look at Tommy Wonder's "Tamed Cards". It is a really nice set where it is a traditional A to B change then he can go to the next table/group and do the same routine changing card B to C. Next group sees card C change to D and finally a group sees D change to A. Basically, if someone from the first group saw all the cards change from A to B and happened to see part of the next groups, they would see all of the B's (that were made at their table) turn into C's. It is EXACTLY what should be happening if the cards really changed. Bar None, the best "wildcard" plot/effect out there.

Beautiful performance on YouTube looks to me like L&L DVD but idk the one. Can somebody tell me? I want to buy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvURE6ueeEk
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Huzzah
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Huzzah
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2017, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2017, Poof-Daddy wrote:

Beautiful performance on YouTube looks to me like L&L DVD but idk the one. Can somebody tell me? I want to buy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvURE6ueeEk

Yes, it is L&L. It's from the Visions of Wonder 3 DVD set. It's a fantastic set so I highly recommend getting them all, but the Tamed Cards performance specifically is on Vol 1
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Thank you Senor Huzzah. I will take your advise and buy all 3.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Wild Card with different cards (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL