The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Making a new gimmick but worried about copy rights... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MIchaelis
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of MIchaelis
I notice that almost all magicians use Bicycle brand to make their gimmicks, for example Shim Lim's Flash Deck Switch 2.0. What are the copy right rules of having Bicycle brand logo on made gimmicks? Do I have to get permission or what guidelines do I have to follow for making a gimmick and have Bicycle brand name on my product?

I am only using the front of the box image for my gimmick, and selling it as a gimmick and not a Bicycle product, even though it will have the Bicycle name and logo.

I have searched everywhere trying to find this answer, any help will be great!
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
As long as you use the product that bicycle sells to make the gimmick you will be fine. If you need to re print an image they own you now may have a problem. You can cut any product up and make anything you want as long as it came from the direct source. I.E. you can make a trick out of a Coke bottle but you can not make a bottle that needs a label not made by them. that's my understanding and not to brag, but I am not an attorney.
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
A good example is that it is legal to buy 52 decks of bicycle cards and re-sort them into one-way forcing decks and to sell them as forcing decks for a profit.
It is not legal to print cards or boxes using the bicycle images.
MIchaelis
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of MIchaelis
Thank you for the feedback! This does help in understanding the copyright issues.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Making a new gimmick but worried about copy rights... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL