The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk through paper? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
710 Posts

Profile of Vogler
Iam searching for a trick I saw years ago , a female chinese magician pulls some silks through a colored paper...any source?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
With the little description you gave, the answer would be, Silks From Newspaper. Without more information or a reference, this is the most likely answer. This is considered a production of small silks, not a penetration effect.

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Silks-From-Ne......oryId=-1
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
710 Posts

Profile of Vogler
Mr Hegbli thank you gery much. Yes It was silks production Smile
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I saw Jade do it years ago in an Oakland Magic Circle Inter Club Contest. It was lovely.

-Mary Mowder
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I remember Jade doing this as well.

And idea that the late Terry Seabrooke of the U.K. suggested in a lecture, seemed to be a good routine. Find a World Map and cut star openings over the various countries. Then produce that countries flag.

Away, to get flags of nations, Laflin magic sells a line of flags, cut them off the line and use them to produce from the map. Just checked, and they only have the large size, they use to have 3 sizes, the small ones would fit the gimmick I referenced.

https://www.laflinmagicstore.com/Flag-Pr......sfpj.htm
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Although the trick is good, I should have said Jade's performance was lovely. Still one of the visual moments in Magic that I cherish.

-Mary
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Don Tanner/U.F. Grant sold a trick called Silk-O-LiK (not sure of spelling) circa early 1960's that involved a relatively large silk production with a liquid production at the end.

You could routine producing 3 differently colored 12-18" silks from the sheet of newspaper that had been shown on both sides, just like the regular Silks From Newspaper trick.

Then remove the silks and crumple the paper and pour 3 different colored liquids from the newspaper into separate wine/aperitif glasses matching the color of each silk.

A nice little interlude!

Julie
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The Magic Nook recently released my "Silks From Newspaper Revisited" in The Wizards' Journal #35. I have been toying with this trick since my teen-age years, and have come up with a variety of new gimmicks and new ways of performing the trick to give it a larger production of silks and a better way of ending. As a bonus, I am including my "Twitch Tube" finale, which allows the silks produced individually to blend into one large silk or a large rainbow streamer that stretches across the stage.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
In the "standard", "Silks From Newspaper" sold by all the dealers in the "old days", the gimck would hold about 4 silks (each about 3" x 4".

The trick could not be done surrounded, or even with spectators on three sides. I had obtained one when I was 13. It soon found its way to the "drawer of lost props". The tiny silks provided weren't even hemmed. They were cut with pinking shears!

It was the type of trick that looked OK when done by a young lady, or a 13 year old boy!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
This is a Stage type trick.

I hope nobody EVER uses the pinked "silks" that come with cheap tricks.

They might be fine to practice with but mostly they should be thrown away. How can anyone fall in love with doing a trick with such shabby stuff?

-Mary Mowder
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yup! I was very disappointed, when the package came with those four dinky unhemmed silks.

The catalog didn't state that it couldn't be done in a parlor situation. At 13, I very seldom had a STAGE to perform on!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The original source for this trick was Doc Nixon's 1920 Hong Kong Paper Frame Pigeon Production Frame, which could be performed on stage or in the parlor and surrounded if necessary. I learned about that when I was 15, watching PC Sorcar perform it on The NBC Festival of Magic in 1957. That's when I gave up working with the little Silks From Newspaper and built several versions of production frames of my own design. But for sheer simplicity, you can't beat picking up a sheet of newspaper and producing a whole load of silks from it, before taking the silks and blending them into a 50 foot rainbow streamer. The production frames just look too much like stage props for my current tastes in magic. My work on Production Frames can be found in The Wizards' Journal #26 if anyone cares.
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Profile of indomagic
I found this Fantasio's silk from newspaper very nice.

https://youtu.be/Sps-ADl3H4E
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk through paper? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL