The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Star Trek Discovery (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Baldness is not a sickness. It is a genetic pattern. It has its' advantages and disadvantages. (I think you are refering to Patrick Stewart's baldness) Today many people shave their heads for varius reasons.

Not sure I get what you mean by irony here. Nothing wrong with Trekie or Treker, I just prefer one over the other.

btw, as silly as this may sound, like many people, I am not sure I fully understand what irony truely is.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I suppose the possibility of mass extinctions while we twitter away precious time is getting me down.

I'll try and be more positive.

Thanks Danny.

-Mary Mowder
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Do you mean fiddling while Rome burned?

The Black Death?

The Holocaust?

And on and on.

Heck if you ask me yea things are NOT perfect by a long shot. But dark times? Sorry not for my way of thinking.

Room to grow? ABSOLUTELY! But still humanity has come a long way.

To me this is the problem with retreating into a fantasy world and comparing it to reality. It completely ignores the greatness of humanity in the first place. ANY comparison to a "fantasy world" like Star Trek had better lose. After all it is a made up fantasy and it never tells you how the sausage is made. It just assumes the world exists like that and you accept it for that and bamo fantasy world wins. Life is not like that.

I prefer life.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Thank you Danny.

You forgot to tell me what entertainment I should enjoy.

-Mary Mowder
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
See nobody told you anything. I ASKED a question . Then pointed out why we may not be in dark times.

Whatever.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2017, Mary Mowder wrote:
Thank you Danny.
You forgot to tell me what entertainment I should enjoy.
-Mary Mowder

Magic of course....
Magic is like Science,
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
It is an old con, or sales technique, which they call a puppy dog sale over here. i.e. “If you are not sure then take it and try it out and then decide!”
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I watched the second episode. After seeing it, I've no idea where this series is going.

And, anyway, what part of "Just a flyby" (in the first episode) did the stupid First officer not understand?

Also, anyone notice the bottle of Chateau Picard wine in the Captain's ready room?

https://www.thewinesociety.com/grower-profile-chateau-picard
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2017, Cliffg37 wrote:
Hats of to CBS and a great marketing tool. Give us episode 1 for free, end on a cliff hanger, and charge us to watch the remaining 14 episodes. I am feeling torn on whether to purchase the subscription or not.

Over all I liked the show. How many of you will purchase the remainder?

In Canada, "Star Trek: Discovery" is going to air on Space Channel on Sunday nights. They've already shown the first 2 episodes (we got the first 2 episodes back to back on September 24th). The 3rd episode airs tomorrow night.

So we don't have to do the CBS All Access route up north.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
CBS is offering All Access free for 1 week. Once Star Trek: Discovery has completed it's run, I 'may' sign up for the free week and binge watch the show. Otherwise, not interested.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
I still remember attending a Star Trek convention. It was called a Creation-Con where the guest of honor was George Takei. From firsthand experience, I know it to be true what they say about Mr.Takei's smile-- that when he enters the room, he brings the Sun in with him.
By the way-- Am I still considered to be a Treker even if I love TOS only?
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2017, rockwall wrote:
CBS is offering All Access free for 1 week. Once Star Trek: Discovery has completed it's run, I 'may' sign up for the free week and binge watch the show. Otherwise, not interested.

You know, I thought about doing that. I may try it too. But, I cannot imagine that CBS hasn't also thought about that. I wonder if they will shut down the free week at some point to stop people from doing that.
Magic is like Science,
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
That awkward moment when the parody is a better new Star Trek than the new Star Trek.

Click here to view attached image.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I like that show a lot.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I like Orville as well.

We shouldn't judge Star Trek Discovery too quickly. It often takes several episodes for a series to catch it's stride.

It is hard not to compare them because they've come out at the same time. Luckily, we don't have to choose between the two.

-Mary Mowder
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Thanks for that Mary. How many people remember Counselor Troy as she first appeared? She grew to be one of my favorite characters on STNG. Originally Marina Sertis was either guilty of terrible acting, or she had not fully worked out her character yet. Maybe both. (admittedly it could have been the fault of bad directing too) But she grew fast. Lets give the show a chance.... At least when I finally see it.
Magic is like Science,
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Yep, I must admit Counselor Troy was the one I was thinking of when I posted.

-Mary
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2017, balducci wrote:

I watched the second episode. After seeing it, I've no idea where this series is going.

I just watched the third episode. Pretty good with some interesting plot developments. If someone had only seen the first episode, he'd never guess what's in store in the next two. What a tease I am. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
The 4th episode was good, too. I won't say too much more, because I don't want people upset about us posting spoilers.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Star Trek Discovery (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL