The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Tips for approaching people (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
Setting: At a Party......a few friends and A LOT of new faces.... I know almost no one.... but I want to try a few routines I have been working on.
I grabbed one of those fold up tables that are small "TRAY Sized" and only come up just below my waist.....
I carry it over to a group sitting down and unfold it right beside someone... they all wonder what I am doing
I just start out saying " These are neat tables ... aren't they. Magicians really like these little folding tables. You know, it is just the perfect hieght to perform at.".......I get an odd look as I stop talking. "SO..... are you a magician?" one person ask. "Why thank you soooo much for asking, I get a strong sense you are a very perceptive and intuitive person. Would you like to put that intuition to a little test, I promise this will be a lot of fun."

Anyway the hardest part about approaching.....is just approaching....
If the little group or person looks approachable... they probally are
And parties like this are great for that
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
Funny you should mention a party. My wife throws a party every year around New Year's. I did magic for the guests at this year's party. It went over well. These were all people I know, however. The problem seems to be when I have to approach strangers.
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
Are you around often in the situation that you find yourself around strangers that "ready or available" for a show?
Can you describe the setting a little bit.
I can brainstorm some lines. I like writing things and find this fun....

And what is your style like...
funny, serious
what are you doing? Cards? spong balls?
What is your patter.... like how do you normaly start? like if you are given an opening with people you know... what do you lead off with.... what is your line?

I firmly believe that GOOD magic is well written..... like the context of what you present is NOT REALLY about the TRICK but how you present this.
magicalmentalistat
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of magicalmentalistat
I know what you mean

You have to realize that those are just limiting believes and that you think they are not approachable for whatever reason.

You have to realize that you have so called "Approach Anxiety" and if you cant do it, because you still have to much fear, give your friend 100 bucks and let him push you.

The goal is not to have them say " Yes show me a trick". Your goal is just to approach them. Whatever the reaction is. Do this a few times and don't be a creepy Salesman from your vibe. people can feel it, if you want to get the reaction or if you want something. so go in there...be fun and be social. then say sth like that. "i have to show you something interessting. Do you have time? just a minute....."

etc. say whats your style otherwise you look like this amateur magician whos coping everyone
Tap Roniart
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Tap Roniart
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2017, Ba Ba Booey wrote:
If it's at an event where people are taking photos, you could offer to take a photo of them. Then you could offer to show them a trick, and they are more likely to be open to it. I'm talking about walk-around gigs, not ambushing people.

Handing them back something other than the camera they handed you would be a funny icebreaker! Like a dollarstore gag camera, you search for theirs, thou get sidetracked, pull out something curious...

Who remembers Saggy Baggy Barry?

Hint: he's now on snl...
Tap Roniart

# PM me your effects looking for a method!
# Please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors-especially ideas that end up being awful-as I am on cell.
# Mods: I only break site rules that the "inner circle" themselves break.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Tips for approaching people (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL