The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » First three tricks ever (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Ok, very specific question for a presentation I am doing. Please help me out.

What are the first three tricks every performer should learn?

Imagine a clown or beginner who does not know ANYTHING about magic but wants to start adding magic to their kids show performances.

What are the first three tricks that EVERYONE should learn?

Think about them being easy (self-working is a plus), visually stunning, and seems like a miracle. What three tricks would you tell people to start with?

Thank you in advance to all the good people here.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Fr*nch dr*p. Vanish a small object. But put it into a routine. By the time you take a grape in your hand, mash it into your forehead, then snort it out the nose, who remembers how it was vanished? But to simply take it and show the hand empty is sort of lame.

C&R rope. What could be more magical? Again put it into a routine.

Vanishing hankie. If you can make it entertaining enough, the vanish isn’t obvious. I have a suggested routine on this board from a few years ago.

Patrick
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
The die box: You can milk this prop for over 5 minutes of laughs, and the BAM! at the end is huge. (I LOVE the looks on the kid's faces when I open all the doors!) I know there are a lot of fancy-schmancy versions of this effect (RunRabbitRun, cookie-monster, etc.) but I've found that the reactions and payoff are pretty much the same, so to get the same effect for way less $$$----stick with the diebox.

One floatation-effect, preferably an airborne bottle: Nothing says 'magic' like making something float in mid-air.

A double-changebag routine. (after all, why buy 1 when you can get 2 for twice the price?): With 2 changebags, you can easily make up a 7-10 minute routine. I like to have the kids make a silk appear, only to have 2 dozen appear, then, after some comedy pick-up, switch, and turn all the silks into a 50' streamer!
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Kurt, you're looking for three tricks that can be thrown in to a performance by someone doesn't know magic, right? And given the forum, I assume you're looking for something in a kids show. In that case, I'd look at performance heavy tricks that are self working. I think the coloring book is an obvious first choice. It's visual, self working, and can be an incredible routine in the hands of the right performer.

Then I'd probably go for a cut and restored rope with comedy wands. The cut and restored rope isn't technically self working, but it's super easy to do. And if you include comedy wands, it's an easy, fun routine that always gets laughs.

Finally I think I'd probably say to include a sucker trick. Perhaps a bashful bunny type of routine, but I don't know of any marketed routines out there right now. I suppose hippity hop rabbits could also work, or - as The Mighty Fool suggested - a die box. But I'm personally a fan of the "turn it around" type of routine, so I'd go for something along that route.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
I agree with TKD27. The only thing I would add is that "Stung" is a great packs-flat-plays-big basic turn-it-around gag.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
How about the "spot card" for kids I show a picture(?) of my Pet "spot" and his 'family'-- for adults - at the end I mention - 'if you see too many don't drive home"
AppearingWands
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of AppearingWands
Hi, I don't know about the 3 tricks but I know for sure about the first trick that should be in the Clouns pocket.....
yes, right guess....the Appearing Wands that can be performed right on the spot and if by the end of the show you will tech the little kid how to do it and you will give him a wand as a gift....he will feel as a lttle Magician and you will feel that you made another happy kid....for that reason they are perform and donated by medical clouns.

Smile

Click here to view attached image.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2017, curtgunz wrote:
Ok, very specific question for a presentation I am doing. Please help me out.

I would be glad to help out but you are not being specific. Everybody should not learn the first three tricks. The tricks being taught will vary for many people depending on the objective.

Try answering the following questions so I will know more on what to recommend to you:

1. Do you want to use the tricks for a clown presentation?

2. Do you want to become a magician without wearing the clown outfit?

3. Do you want to pocket the items?

4. Do you want to set the items up at a parlor show?

5. Are looking to be more mysterious of funny?

6. Is it okay with you if you will have to reset the prop?

7. Will you feel comfortable using the presentation in front of a crowd of 100?
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Quote:
Try answering the following questions so I will know more on what to recommend to you:

1. Do you want to use the tricks for a clown presentation?

2. Do you want to become a magician without wearing the clown outfit?

3. Do you want to pocket the items?

4. Do you want to set the items up at a parlor show?

5. Are looking to be more mysterious of funny?

6. Is it okay with you if you will have to reset the prop?

7. Will you feel comfortable using the presentation in front of a crowd of 100?

I left it open-ended on purpose.

This is not just for clowns. Just wanted advice for anyone just starting out. Most performers just starting in magic won't know the answer to the questions. A newbie won't know what resetting a trick even means. Pocketing as a verb means nothing to the new performer.

The comments here are super helpful.

I like the idea of the coloring book, changebag, all the specific tricks. These are all GREAT idea.

Thank you all.

And thank you Dynamike for the clarification. I appreciate what you do for this community.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » First three tricks ever (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL