The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Purchased Card Mats... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tap Roniart
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Tap Roniart
Experts,

I'm only 75% sure this is the correct sub-forum, so...

In performing & doing videos, thin fabric (sometimes called "close-up") mats (rubber backed) are a utility/tool that is quite nice and useful. I see 3 types: Home Made, Good Purchases, Bad Purchases. I have experience with the latter 2.

I have purchased several cheapie eBay Chinese mats, and noticed something they all have in common (beyond the industrial adhesive odor): They have a 'grain' that goes one-way. Hard to describe, but passing your hand over the fabric in one direction is a completely different experience to passing it the other way. It's like the 'grain' goes in one direction. Weird! I sprung for an UltraPRO that is like 20" or so wide, and thought so much of it I bought it a nice tube to live in. The others are now stinky mousepads at best.

Everyone has a preference in size(s) they use for videos, show & practice, so I'm not asking about that... but rather things like:

Where has your money been best spent on a mat?
Does money always buy quality?
What brands have never let you down?
Have you ever found great material by the yard? What was it called?

TIA!
Tap Roniart

# PM me your effects looking for a method!
# Please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors-especially ideas that end up being awful-as I am on cell.
# Mods: I only break site rules that the "inner circle" themselves break.
pattrick
View Profile
Loyal user
maumee, ohio
226 Posts

Profile of pattrick
Well, I have to respond to this! Go to www.pattricksmagic.com for a look at some darn good mats ( in my humble opinion )Thank you.
check out www.pattricksmagic.com for the best in close up pads and tables.
Tap Roniart
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Tap Roniart
Q: Does the Watson/Bill Abbott Pack Smart Table come with the magic assistant shown? Smile
Tap Roniart

# PM me your effects looking for a method!
# Please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors-especially ideas that end up being awful-as I am on cell.
# Mods: I only break site rules that the "inner circle" themselves break.
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Peckham
Pattrick is the man. I have purchased several mats from him; and will purchase more in the future. He also does custom work. You will be 100% satisfied.
pattrick
View Profile
Loyal user
maumee, ohio
226 Posts

Profile of pattrick
Tap, That Mat was originally made for the Bill Abbott pack smart table with smaller radius corners to match the table top. However since then it has been popular as a mid size mat with our regular corner radius. My friend Bruce Kalver was photographing the Mat for some reason when his dog Watson decided to take a rest. He sent me the picture and I thought it was funny and I renamed the Mat “The Watson”.
check out www.pattricksmagic.com for the best in close up pads and tables.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Pattrick does make BEAUTIFUL mats. I have several and they work great.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The Gibson mats have been the standard in Close-up pads to use in the performance of magic for the last 50 years. They make a huge selection, and you can view them at www.tricksupply.com . In their search engine, type Gibson Close-up pad, plan to spend some time browsing.

Huge selection in color, size and quality. It is the Close-up pad of the pros.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Some people use cloth placemats and they work just fine.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
This is THE BEST closeup mat I have found in my entire life performing as a Magician:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S3647
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1366 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2018, Bill Hegbli wrote:
The Gibson mats have been the standard in Close-up pads to use in the performance of magic for the last 50 years. They make a huge selection, and you can view them at www.tricksupply.com . In their search engine, type Gibson Close-up pad, plan to spend some time browsing.

Huge selection in color, size and quality. It is the Close-up pad of the pros.

Growing up in NH I was lucky enough to spend time with Wendel Gibson and watch the amount of pads that he produced out of his little shop. EVERYONE had a Gibson pad ( I still have 2 ).

I'm so glad that someone has taken over that production, I thought they were no longer available. I may have to order a couple more!

Mark

Thank you Bill for the
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Purchased Card Mats... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL