The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Refurbishing my illusions (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Hey folks, does anybody know the type of material they use to cover bases with? I believe it is adhesive on one side and a tough black material on the other. Thank you in advance!
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
I believe it is contact paper, but want to be sure.
David_N
View Profile
New user
Lancashire, England
93 Posts

Profile of David_N
The material you are thinking of is what we call 'leathercloth' over here in the UK but what I believe you call 'Naugahyde'. It is a synthetic version of leather with a cloth back which comes in a wide variety of colours and textures and is available from most good material shops. It is not self adhesive however and so you will need to find a suitable glue. Although 3M Spray 90 is widely used I personally like good old fashioned PVA as it has no fumes, is water based, and will not react with the plastic in your material. I have re-covered a few illusions this way with great success.

Rand Woodbury's DVD on Steps and Bases details how to build and cover a base using this method.
DavidThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of DavidThomas
Hi ..you might consider using LINEX to spray your bases...this looks great and is industructable
David Thomas
TheWorldofMagic.com
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
On top I always use leatherette.
The underside I cover with Magic Duro Suede.
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
I would go to a professional upholstery company in your area and get the best looking 'Naugahyde' you can find. You don't want the kind with the white backing..
just looks like fake leather of sorts.. You will contact cement it on to your base.. Paint the wood on the base and the back side of the material with the glue.. Once it gets tacky.. Mesh them together.

Deco Swade is the black fabric that you can put below the bases.. Or Killer Z.
http://www.lowpricefabric.com/ This company sells the DECO Swade. Call them if you want to order it.. I hate the stretchy Deco Swade.. request a non stretchy version of it.. You can spray glue it on to your props.

I hope that this helps you.
Taylor
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Great help!!! Thank you everyone!
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
The leatherette without adhesive is set by a mastic glue. I get it at our local auto upholstery supplier. The problem with contact paper is that a working and traveling performer will have to patch it every other stop. There is a thinner grade used as covering on old suitcase jewelry cases but it can abrade pretty badly if not careful. This stuff takes curves well - unlike thin solid plastic pieces whiich work better foir steo bases instead of what I consider the more devious curves.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I thought I would remind members of Dick Gustafson's book "Professional Illusion Building". It has been available for a number of years, but in it, it enlightens builders of modern materials that can be used today, that were not invented when the older illusions were built.

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Professional-......oryId=-1
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Refurbishing my illusions (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL