The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chop Cup Question (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Check out David Regal's chop cup routine with a gaffed toy mouse (props cheap and easy to make). Good misdirection can often take the spectator's mind off thinking how it was done! Lynn
NightSG
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of NightSG
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2017, Tom G wrote:
David Roth told me a story about doing the chop cup once. Some woman walked by during the routine and without missing a step announced it was a magnet... I believe he was able to disprove that with the regular ball.

IMO, "impossible" convincers like that are the way to go. Think about Kostya Kimlat's Triumph and how his method just flat out broke the brains of pro magicians who knew how the trick was usually done, but couldn't be done with the convincers he threw in. Of course, then finding out his method and the skill level required for it was probably responsible for a lot of worn out decks and good practice all over the magic community afterward too.
ilmungo
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of ilmungo
In my opinion the chop cup effect is not about how the cup works—most intelligent spectators will probably come up with a satisfying explanation that is pretty close to the truth if they think about it long enough. The effect of the chop cup is the final loads. You have to treat the whole thing as a build up to the lime and the lemon (or whatever you use) so that even if the spectator figures out a method for the phases with the ball, they'll realize it was all leading to the real "meat" of the effect, and hopefully they won't be able to explain that!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2017, Kaliix wrote:
You know when the die is on the table and if it is, you can still show the die is not there, even showing the cup empty as well, only for the die to reappear under the cup at your control.

Wait, what??? Show it EMPTY? I thought...never mind. I gotta get this thing...Saving time! Just A Cup...

Doug
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I think it depends on your routine, as some routines challenge the audience, some routines have way to many phases, some routines are poorly executed, some routines use metal type cups etc.....however the bottom line is if your entertaining your audience rather than showing how clever you are then your audience isn't really bothered about how it's done.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2017, jakeg wrote:
Although I’ve seen JAC demo on YouTube, I’ve never seen a routine with it. I would like to see how the features of JAC are used to change the routine. It seems to me that if the performer is doing the usual chop routine, it’s a vanity thing.

Perhaps if the performer is just doing a standard CC routine, but there are many more possibilities, such as shown here:
http://weeklymagic.blogspot.co.uk/search......0Hecklau
Roland has some great thinking, but don't assume that this is his working routine!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chop Cup Question (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL