The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Getting first residency (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rssudo
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Rssudo
I know stuff like this has been posted before however I'm asking afresh because I have a question that generally won't apply to most people.

So as the title says I'm after a residency (in UK - US advice might be useful too but I'm specifically interested in the UK.
How do people go about getting a residency? Any tips?
I've heard the "offer a free shift and don't take tips" before, anything else?
What hourly rate should be the abs mininum and whats realistic? (preferably in GBP)

And now for the twist...
I'm from London but at university in Nottingham. My accomodation only allows me in for 10 weeks then I move out for a month then back in for 10 weeks then off for all of summer.
Next year I'll have a 52 week contract but until then I'm in this weird situation where the most I can work at a time is 10 weeks before being 100 miles away. Is it actually likely I'd be able to get a residency that will work given how I only live here for 10 weeks at a time?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I first have to assume that you are good enough to be booked regularly AND long-term. Beyond that, it's a matter of making a difference in how things run where you are working. You are a representative of the establishment first... a magician, second.

All that being said, 10 weeks might actually work to your advantage. Find the right place and let it be known that you work seasonally. If you land that first booking, and they like you, once you are about to conclude that run, go ahead and try to get re-booked for when you will be returning.

It's less a residency than a steady booking while you are able to work it.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Rssudo
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Rssudo
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2018, Michael Baker wrote:
I first have to assume that you are good enough to be booked regularly AND long-term. Beyond that, it's a matter of making a difference in how things run where you are working. You are a representative of the establishment first... a magician, second.

All that being said, 10 weeks might actually work to your advantage. Find the right place and let it be known that you work seasonally. If you land that first booking, and they like you, once you are about to conclude that run, go ahead and try to get re-booked for when you will be returning.

It's less a residency than a steady booking while you are able to work it.

Hadn't thought about it that way... I'm not around at Easter and most of summer though so that night create a problem...
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Good luck to you.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Getting first residency (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL