The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Back Surgery = change what you carry.... Advice needed! (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
774 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
At the moment I'm recovering but realized that I need to change a few things and the first that comes to mind is my backdrop... I love it because it's super lightweight but it takes me about 15 mins to set up another 15 mins to put down and is really a two person job but I do it by myself. I'm looking for something that is easy/quick to set up but light weight and easy to carry.

J Rodriguez
J Rodriguez
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
If you are a Close-Up act, ditch the back drop. Or... if you do find an easier option at least offer a show that does not include any backdrop.

I'm not there yet but I am thinking about offering a lower cost Birthday Show with no backdrop.

I know it works fine because my outdoor show goes over very well without one.

It is hard to give up a backdrop because I was so pleased when I got one.

I will say that the set up time is not as pro. as I'd like (probably takes about 5 mins, I never timed it). I do interact and have fun as I set up but the process is not making me look so good.

I've seen some beautiful, (and expensive) quick set up curtains but I've seen some of those look VERY droopy after some wear (the joints seemed like they slipped) so ask someone who owns one for a while before going that way.

Best of luck in finding a solution and a speedy recovery.

-Mary Mowder
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
774 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
Thanks Mary.... I started many years as just a close up walk around performer but now do family and kid shows. Once I started using a backdrop I loved it , pics look a lot better, you look more professional and it's a great way to sneak away and grab your bunny, take a quick swig of water or set up your puppet.

As for the droopy look, that would get on my nerves lol

J Rodriguez
J Rodriguez
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I like Jeff Jones' Magic Backdrops. It speeds up time for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLR8bfF7z-s But they are a little pricey.
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
I started using a pop-up banner display for my b'day parties. Much smaller than my Jeff Jones backdrop, lighter to carry, and works great in a living room. It still offers enough privacy to set my puppet or other props from prying eyes.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
How about a giant silk as backdrop? One of those 6 footers with a rabbit or dragon on it.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
We've used a six fold screen- light weight.(bought 2 ea, 3 fold and hitched together) EZ to carry and set up- can also have items behind. Also for our Library show -built a 3 fold Cloth coverd cardboard-from a large refrigerator box (each section 3 foot) I painted the center section like it was a book case -one book even said 'MAGIC' (with the tri-fold was able to produce the Librarian-)If I had any computor skills and equipment - love to show all.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I suggest that you look for the "Jimmy Trimble Background Screen". I believe that the original screen was of corrugated cardboard. Now, there are plastic sheets(I can't remember the name of the stuff, --foam core???
but, someone will know.

My friend, Neil Foster used one for his school show tours, and found it "great". It's "self contained" (no framework, tripods etc.)

It sets up in less than 2 minutes, and is free standing.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
No one SELLS this, hut, it can be easily made by almost anyone. with a sharp knife, some tape to bind the edges of the foam core, etc.k
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2018, Dynamike wrote:
I like Jeff Jones' Magic Backdrops. It speeds up time for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLR8bfF7z-s But they are a little pricey.

Hey Dynamike ... Nice Theme Song!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
How about just do an awesome show and ditch the backdrop, the signs, banners, sound systems and anything else.
Time is money and setting up all that stuff is crazy unless you're getting paid handsomely for that time. And then you have to take it all down. D'oh!
So if you've got a 15 minute setup... that's a half hour. That's a show.

Go in with as little as possible, blow them away with your hilarious and memorable act, put it all back in your lunchbox and walk out with a smile and a bow and a huge tip for giving them far more entertainment than they thought their money could afford!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of frankieacemagic
I’m with Frank, here! I’ve been magicking since 2010. About 3 years ago, aches began appearing. They grew to much larger, consistent pain in my upper and mid back. I finally got an MRI and the docs saw lots of standard spine damage, but for someone much older than me. So, PT, steroid injections, chiropractors, massage therapy...all has been somewhat helpful, but my best treatment so far has been PACKING SMALLER.

It’s so hard for me. So hard Smile But now I walk into a show with one case, the bare necessities, and let the bday child and the funny bits of business between she and me take center stage—more than I used to, at least. I have a separate “kids magic case” that I bring in if there are liiiiiitle ones, filled with Stratosphere, Tommy James’ Potty Time, preschool age magic Smile But the rest plays for all ages. This horrible back ache inspired a Jumbo comedy “stand up monte” with bananas and monkeys, and a What’s Next Comedy Domino Card routine that (I think) plays to little kids as well as adults.

What was the spine surgery for, May I ask?? And I sincerely hope it helped!!!!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
There is an old "wise saying" that we always 'taught' the Boy Scouts in the summer camps that I managed in the summer (when I wasn't managing a carnival illusion show (Girl to Gorilla) or "advancing" a circus.

It's quite simple. When the boys were going on 50 mile hike, my camp staff always reminded them, that: "The skills that you carry in your HEAD, are a lot lighter than the tools that you carry in your backpack!"

When I first started touring for the assembly bureaus, I pasted a reminder note with that "saying" inside the lid of my prop case!

An old retired assistant on the BLACKSTONE, 'SHOW OF 1001 WONDERS', said, "Sure I worked on the BLACKSTONE SHOW! --Wanna see my truss?"

The late Fetaque Sanders, retired old pro. magician, said, "Patter packs easier than props!"
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
There is an old "wise saying" that we always 'taught' the Boy Scouts in the summer camps that I managed in the summer (when I wasn't managing a carnival illusion show (Girl to Gorilla) or "advancing" a circus.

It's quite simple. When the boys were going on 50 mile hike, my camp staff always reminded them, that: "The skills that you carry in your HEAD, are a lot lighter than the tools that you carry in your backpack!"

When I first started touring for the assembly bureaus, I pasted a reminder note with that "saying" inside the lid of my prop case!

An old retired assistant on the BLACKSTONE, 'SHOW OF 1001 WONDERS', said, "Sure I worked on the BLACKSTONE SHOW! --Wanna see my truss?"

The late Fetaque Sanders, retired old pro. magician, said, "Patter packs easier than props!"

PS I suggested the Jimmy Trimble Backdrop Screen, earlier in this thread. Apparently, no one has ever heard of it, as no one has commented. If bulk and weight are a concern, I URGE you to check it out. I's lightweight, fast to "up and down", and, relatively inexpensive. You can make one with the most basic tools and supplies.
jdstewart
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of jdstewart
I would agree with everybody. How is that for diplomacy? I have one of Jeff's backdrops. It is great. It goes up fast and packs fast. But I do not use it everywhere. Since this is how I make my living, I ask a very simple question. Will adding the backdrop make me more money either in the short term or long term.

In this business, there are not absolutes. There are absolutely no absolutes. (Wait a minute I think there is a logical fallacy in there somewhere) The question I ask is, will adding a backdrop make me more money, long term or short term. If the answer is yes, then I add the backdrop otherwise I nix it.

With a bad back, I suggest getting a handcart to wheel in your stuff, with or without a backdrop.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2018, Dick Oslund wrote:

PS I suggested the Jimmy Trimble Backdrop Screen, earlier in this thread. Apparently, no one has ever heard of it, as no one has commented.
If bulk and weight are a concern, I URGE you to check it out. I's lightweight, fast to "up and down", and, relatively inexpensive. You can make
one with the most basic tools and supplies.

Dick, The Thimble plans are in the older Success Book Vol One.

I remember years ago getting the cardboard to build one but left it outside the first night and it rained, destroyed it and I never got around to
collecting the materials again. Later I did make one with wood panels, but it was very heavy. But you right with the foam board today it would be easy to make one.

Tom
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2018, TheAmbitiousCard wrote:
How about just do an awesome show and ditch the backdrop, the signs, banners, sound systems and anything else.
Time is money and setting up all that stuff is crazy unless you're getting paid handsomely for that time. And then you have to take it all down. D'oh!
So if you've got a 15 minute setup... that's a half hour. That's a show.

Go in with as little as possible, blow them away with your hilarious and memorable act, put it all back in your lunchbox and walk out with a smile and a bow and a huge tip for giving them far more entertainment than they thought their money could afford!

That's about what I did for 50 years, in the schools! I did carry some Jet Sets when I did phone promotion dates, as there was time to set them, and I wanted to hide the Super X until it was time to do it.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I made a Trimble Backdrop out of Coreplast years and years ago. (Coreplast is similar to corrugated cardboard, but made out of plastic... you can buy it in 4'x8' sheets in plastic shops and some hardware stores.) It was light, but quite large for transport. Good thing I had a station wagon or van to carry my props. It was also easy to blow over in the wind, so you always had to be aware of your performing environment (once, a Principal tried to "help" make a gym less stuffy by opening a door near the performance area... this was a bad idea, because the backdrop blew over on top of me and my props... good thing a child wasn't on stage at the time helping me).

Photo of my Trimble Backdrop here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=......17ba5829

Nowadays I use a homemade backdrop similar to the Jeff Jones style (single pole in the middle to support the cross bar). I carry it in a hard-sided golf club case, which has wheels at one end, so it's easy to move around.

Photo of me performing, with my current backdrop behind me: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=......3a881c77

Note - in my experience, one backdrop isn't too much different in weight from the other one. It's the case that gives the backdrop extra weight, but as I said, the case is on wheels.

- Donald

P.S. I don't use a backdrop or PA system at birthday shows or (most) daycare shows. Those are only used for larger audiences / bigger events, like community events, holiday parties, school assemblies or family nights, church shows, etc. In my opinion, everything has a time and place.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
P.P.S. I also own Creative Magic's "B Screens" (ultra portable Bryce's Screens), and have used those on occasion to extend my backdrop / add wings. Besides being used to make a person appear, the screens can be used as a backdrop, or split into 2 sections and used as two backdrop wings.

And I've also used the backdrop that the local magic club had, which was the type with a photographers backdrop stand and curtain panels.

So, I've used a few different types of backdrops. Again, not a lot of difference in weight. Just a difference in set up time.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
This is the backdrop I use for smaller shows and birthday parties where the room is big enough. It's an Abbott Jet Set 8 X 8 and adjustable smaller if needed. Originally I tried a 6 foot silk as the backdrop material as mentioned above by Todsky, but found that it was to fine a material and "blew" around too much. I made my own backdrop that slides over the top bar and then rolls up for transport. I wouldn't say it's overly heavy and can easily be carried with one hand. The backdrop material packs into my table case. Set up is only a couple of minutes.
https://www.facebook.com/JohnMartinMontr......&theater

John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Back Surgery = change what you carry.... Advice needed! (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL