The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Let there be magic! » » Any Deck Anytime or Better We Take Mine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Takwah
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Takwah
I am currently playing with an idea, I'd like to "market" (not really commercially, just looking for a sales pitch like description).

It is an effect which is atm not quite super complete and needs work done, but the problem is that in theory you could describe it as an effect, which works with a borrowed deck.
In practice however, I wonder when a borrowed deck stops being a borrowed deck. The answer seems quite simply, if you can borrow a deck to do it, it's a borrowed deck effect, if not then it probably isn't.

The problem is, that you "could" use a borrowed deck, but what if let's say there were some kind of restrictions to the kind of deck borrowed, like it has to have all the jokers in it, or it can't have blue backs, only red. Or it can be blue/red backed, but not white or black. Or it needs to be rider back, needs to be sealed, not sealed.

You see where this is going. It is a borrowed deck effect which e.g. works only on blue rider backs not on red ones. So the question is, can I still tell people without stretching things, it's a borrowed deck effect or should I leave that out completely or is there another way to describe that kind of effect.

I don't want to misrepresent the effect in question, but I think borrowing a deck can have a strenghening effect on an effect itself.

What are your thoughts?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Maybe, "the deck can be examined before and after the trick." Not that you would necessarily hand it out for such in performance, but it gives the magic buyer an idea of the conditions of the trick.
bluejay17!
View Profile
Regular user
DC
120 Posts

Profile of bluejay17!
I would say that as long as your restrictions aren’t two huge you can say “borrowed”, if you can use a deck that the spectator gives you, then you borrowed it. I would recommend thinking about how you would tell the spectator that you can use their deck, as it could get sticky, say they pull out a deck of Citizens, then you can say “no, I need a good deck of cards“. But as long as the deck is not “blinged up” in any way, even if you “plop” a few “above average” cards in while “the hounds aren’t on your tail” it’s all right.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
If the deck is honestly not gimmicked--added card(s) don't count--I see nothing wrong with advertising "uses an ungimmicked deck".

After all, how many times do you actually have access to a borrowed deck?

Julie
Takwah
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Takwah
Bluejay17!:

The restrictions on this were US Playing Card Company card stock iirc and not to greasy/worn out so you can handle them well.

julie:

Since you shouldn't do magic at the poker table your right. Probably you and landmark are right. Combining this two should work.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Let there be magic! » » Any Deck Anytime or Better We Take Mine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL