The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What's happened in the last 10 years? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BruMagic
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of BruMagic
Hi everyone,

I worked as a professional mentalist, between 1999 - 2008. Before that, I'd just do the odd gig here or there.

Then, for one reason or another, I stopped and got a normal job instead.

I've not really been part of the magic world since about 2008. I'm vaugely playing with the idea of starting up again.

I'd really like to know what decent new mentalist principals / ideas have been out in the last 10 years of so. For example, I really like the look of the 100th Monkey Principal.

I appreciate that this is a very subjective question. I suppose another way of phrasing it would be, what are your top ten favourite mind reading / psychological effects of the last decade?

Cheers!
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4698 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Aside from technology making certain old ideas possible with smaller and more convenient equipment, there's really nothing new under the sun.

I would also say that there are some psychological developments that help to enhance effects.

But typically whenever someone claims that they've created something "new," they've simply reinvented an old idea and didn't do the proper research (or knowingly plagiarized).
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
BruMagic
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of BruMagic
Fair point. I'm aware that there's rarely anything new under the sun.

I suppose I could have just asked:

What have been the ten most well-received releases, to the mentalism community, within the last ten years?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
That's a huge ask though...

Maybe look through Jeff's market place of the mind site, maybe join up and see his yearly breakdowns...
I've asked to be banned
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Probably the biggest change in the last decade is likely to be the use of and advances in electronics.
BruMagic
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of BruMagic
Hey - yeah, I've been doing some research, but wanted to hear from individual magicians. What would be your best mentalism releases of the last few years?
Johnny250
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Johnny250
Train tracking by atlas brookings for me this is the closest thing to a real mind reading. And the level he managed to bring with this tool did not exist before
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2017 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Audiences have changed some. Shorter attention spans, or at least needing more variety, change of pace, participation, etc. And they are more likely to assume that "reading body language" can be real; so add that to the list of Hickok's effects (in addition to meth and memory effects) of types of effects that are now widely considered Plausible.

George
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Beliefs
I've asked to be banned
Johnny250
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Johnny250
One of the things that became really hard is Our competition against smartphones, especially for audiences under 18. It's very hard to get their attention, even if you're really good.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Among other things...

There's been a lot of work done on the center tear.

There's been a lot of work done on zodiac sign divinations.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Peter Turner is hot now. I can HIGHLY recommend picking up his new release “Devil in Disguise 2” to get a masterclass in the direction Mentalism is headed.

I think if you’ve been out of Mentalism a while, you will get a huge kick out of his thinking and techniques.

Madison
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2018, BruMagic wrote:
Hey - yeah, I've been doing some research, but wanted to hear from individual magicians. What would be your best mentalism releases of the last few years?

Several new editions on MOABT. That and Oz Pearlman. Like you I was out of the scene from 2010-2018. This is what I've found new. Aside from the death of several luminaries in the magic and mentalism world, nothing else has really changed that much.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2828 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
The work of Scott Creasey is largely new in the last 10 years and of very high quality. I believe all of his video releases are within the last several years.

Scott's brilliant Q&A Evolution program in particular presents an entirely new approach and in fact a complete, flexible system, one that may be adapted for groups of any size, from a one-on-one reading to a theater filled with an audience of thousands.

https://www.mentalmagicism.com/shop.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What's happened in the last 10 years? (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL