The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Depository » » WhWho knew ? Jerry's are extreme one way backs. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
There is an extreme offset(1/16"") to the white borders. Helen Keller could read them across the room.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
GreatLorenzo
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of GreatLorenzo
There are often such quality control issues with US Playing Card Co. cards. I bought a brick of normal rider backs and about half the decks in the brick, not all, just about half, had a noticeable offset in the printing / cutting process such that one side's white border was wider than the other. I just checked the 2 opened Jerry's Nuggets that I have, and the blue backed one has a slight border width difference, left vs right of only about 1/32". The red backed deck's borders were all spot on, identical in width.
Teddy Meagher
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Teddy Meagher
A lot of cards have this accidental feature, I listened to a podcast one time about a gambler taking advantage of this misprint in Bee style playing cards, after playing with the deck for a while the gambler was able to essentially learn these misprints as a marked deck
MudMedic
View Profile
New user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
41 Posts

Profile of MudMedic
I have always noticed Caravan decks as being cut slightly off...I once opened up a deck and the cut was so poor it ran through the pips.
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
I've had a couple of decks in a brick of blue bikes that has such a case of this, narrow at one edge, on every single card, that I took to using it for amazing revelations all down to the one way effect. Unfortunately one deck got damaged and the other is lost.! I continue to check every new deck though.
I first read about this in an old gambling book. Might have been sharps and flats.
Quote of the Month
Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."
- S.H. Sharpe
RICH 644
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of RICH 644
I took an offset printing class years ago, and the instructor told us that the normal human eye can detect a 1/32" error in registration. When there is !/16" error you could see it across the room.
I've been reading Richard Kaufman's book "Theodore DeLand Mystery and Madness". The book tells about DeLand selling the rights for his inventions to A C Gilbert's Mysto Magic Mfg. in 1911. The extremely poor registration on the Mysto Cards led to a decline in the popularity of the DeLand Card Tricks. Gilbert was getting into the toy business with his Erector Sets at that time, so his Mysto Magic sets became mere toys for kids. Today they are toys for "Kid of All Ages".

Rich644
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Dai Vernon used to slay magicians by noting small "off" details in decks of cards, or even on a single card.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Depository » » WhWho knew ? Jerry's are extreme one way backs. (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL