The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Coins from Xavier Belmont (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Danwseers
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Danwseers
I figured a new thread would allow for discussion of Xavier's work. I received my order from Xavier yesterday. It has been a lengthy process to say the least. I want to review the work and order process in the fairest light possible. In a short statement: the quality of the work Xavier is capable of producing is excellent and you will not be disappointed.

What follows is a more in-depth review. As the pictures show, the coins are on a level surpassing any commercial coin makers. They are handmade and represent an artist’s craftsmanship. Xavier provided two JOL cases for the coins free of charge, recognizing there was a substantial delay in my order. I appreciate his willingness to try and make things right. I would differ to Xavier on pricing; but for those curious, the pricing was on par with Lassen and a bit less than Schoolcraft (never really understood the latter one’s pricing but I digress).

Yesterday, I emailed Xavier to share my praises and criticisms. He responded this morning and was very appreciative and gracious. As I will describe in more detail, I was not happy with the patina on the silver coins. I redid the patina on the set, but had not told him of my efforts. Xavier believed the JOL leather continued the oxidation process and offered to reimburse me for a silver cleaner. The coins came in the leather purses, and those were individually wrapped in plastic. So, there was no airflow to the coins. I can see how that could cause the severe oxidation. He offered instructions on how to remedy the issue and included pictures as a guide. I also communicated concerns about the tolerances on the CSB shell. Xavier shared he makes them in that specific manner to aid in the de-shell mechanics. He suggested I work with it, but offered to address it should it persist as an issue for me. His willingness to address it meant a lot to me.

My order consisted of:
Ambivalence gimmick with two matching Morgan dollars
Expanded shell
Copper Silver Brass gimmick with two sets of matching coins

Ambivalence:
The Ambivalence gimmick is fantastic. I will respect Xavier’s privacy regarding its workings, design, and interior. But, holy crap this thing is sick! If you like the TUC concept, then you will find Ambivalence to be a veritable Rolex version. I love it and can’t wait to explore its applications. My criticisms are common to all of the Morgans received. The coins started out as uncirculated and then were softened, with a patina agent applied. It is likely that the agent continued to darken the coins while in transit. The result of the patina agent was the coins were very dark and there is a difference to the surface quality in comparison with a “natural” soft coin. With all soft coins, the patina will be removed as they are rubbed together and used. So, it really isn’t too big of an issue. Beyond the patina, I don’t really have any complaints. Because they were softened, the coins are very uniform and thus make little noise when rubbed together. It also means the edges are a touch sharper than natural soft coins; personally, I see this as both a pro and a con. I like that they are easier to palm with the sharp edges, but I also cannot handle them without perceiving the difference between them and naturally soft coins. Meh, the positives far outweigh the negatives for the gimmick so I am happy as a lark!

Expanded shell:
There isn’t much to say as it is just a standard gimmick. I love how Xavier “signs” his with the tool marks. I also love the coverage it provides. I note these and additional commentary beside the pictures below. It is a nice shell.

Copper Silver Brass:
I have zero history with this style of gimmick, so forgive me if my appraisal sounds a bit novice. Xavier makes the copper and brass coins himself. They look like real examples of what they are supposed to be representing. The edge work of the C/S transition is excellent. I imagine it is because of the patina agent rather than how they were seamed together. The edge of the B/S shell is equally good. My criticisms include the apparent space between the silver and the shell. When looking at the Ambivalence or even the expanded shell, it occurs to me the tolerances between the shell and the insert C/S could have been tighter. I have zero anxiety about presenting with it. It is a detail I would note, or that someone else might note only if it was stationary for too long. I am sure that in the context of a routine, it is invisible. I am excited to start using it and see what I can do with it.

Customer Service:
This is a tough one. My order was supposed to have been completed at the end of June/beginning July 2017. I just received it. In all fairness, I added time to the production as I asked him to make two additional copper and brass coins matching the CSB gimmick. Had I not requested them, I would have received my order in January. But in either instance, it was a considerable difference in the completion time quoted and when actually received. I was very concerned and frustrated at times. Xavier told me he was suffering from burnout the year prior. He believed he was over it and ready to get back to work, but that burnout is what created the delays in my order. I understand Xavier’s explanation, but I don’t think it was a substitute for communication. Xavier gave me the JOL purses and the two extra CSB regular coins as a way to make amends. Too bad that it is possible those purses continued the oxidation process; so, no good deed goes unpunished!

I am genuine when I say I would not have minded the wait time, had I been told upfront the wait would have been this long. I am accustomed to waiting long periods to get things I want, it only created anxiety in me when there was a lack of communication in addition to the difference in the quoted delivery time. Xavier told me he was not taking anymore orders until he is caught up, so hopefully he has a plan to overcome his limitations. I am happy the ordeal is over, and I am very happy with what I ultimately received.

Here is the back sides of all of the coins.

Here is the tails and heads side of the Italian coins Xavier makes for his CSB set. The light wasn't the best when snapping this picture. Despite the heads side appearing darker, they are identical in color. He also makes the Chinese coins. Both are wonderful, solid, and feel old. I am absolutely in love with the relief on the Italian coin. It is just a good looking coin!

Here is a closeup of his expanded shell. The tool markings really make it pop! I personally love super worn coins, so the face of the shell is right up my alley. I had sent example pictures to Xavier and I believe he matched the esthetic spot on. It has the same patina issue I noted in the Ambivalence description, but I am confident I will be able to modify the patina to match the others.

This is a VERY close picture of the Ambivalence. What is observable, is totally invisible when handling the coin. I would have no concerns handing the coin out for examination. It is that good. I keep getting it mixed up while playing with the coins. I really really like this coin!!

Here is the edge of the Ambivalence as compared to one of the ordinary coins. Ambivalence is essentially identical.

Here is an edge view of the coverage provided by the expanded shell. It is very good. It should be noted that Xavier matched the diameters to all work together, as well Xavier used the measurements I provided matching my Lassen remilled set!

Here is how my Ambivalence set looks now after I reworked the patina. I believe the soft grey has a more natural look. The raised silver areas will shine after some more use and everything should look as it would. I used a touch of water and a green scotch pad to progressively lighten the oxidation. It has been raining here and the dirt isn't dry. My prior experience taught me that rubbing the surface with some dry dirt will dramatically add to the natural patina look. There is a slight glare in the pictures, but the color is very uniform.

Cheers!
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Those are quite beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks also for the detailed thoughts on both the coins and your experience.

I posted a link to this thread in the previous one, just as a closing thought so anyone wondering about the outcome could find out.
Danwseers
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Danwseers
Good thinking!
Xavier Belmont
View Profile
New user
France
18 Posts

Profile of Xavier Belmont
Hi everybody,

Danwseers have sent his point of view of my work and I accept all of that.
As I have said to him, I remain at the disposal of my customer for any after sale service without delay.

To explainations of my recent situation is write here :
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......art=0#16
I will script not it another time here.
Magically your,

Xavier.
You have an idea ? You have a problem ? Ask me a solution !

Magically your,

Xavier.
http://xavierbelmont.com
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Nice work Xavier!

Thanks for posting the photos Dan.

Jim
Why.So.Serious?
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Why.So.Serious?
Love the in-depth review Smile How much did you pay for that CSB set? Thanks
Danwseers
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Danwseers
PM sent.
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Peckham
Xavier, do you have a commercial website or do you just manufacture on demand?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Coins from Xavier Belmont (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL