The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Aretalogy of Vanni Bossi by Stephen Minch (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I tried a couple searches and the only place this came up was the "Book of the Year" threads for 2016 and 2017. I guess I will try to give a brief review and let others add their thoughts as / when needed. I am not a "seasoned book reviewer" but I will give it a start.

First off, I love the look of the book in general. It has a "leather" (real or not) spine and a different material around the front and back covers. Surprisingly, no dust jacket but I think a dust jacket would take away from the good looks of this book aesthetically. It reminds me a bit of the Alex Elmsley Books by the same author. In general, I like the looks BUT, I really do not like the way the pages are cut. If you lay it on it's spine and look at the pages, they look like the spiked tops of a picket fence. This gives me some minor difficulties turning the pages at times but it is the only "CON" I have with the whole book (and it is a minor "Con").

Now the Pro's. The book does "Look" very aesthetically pleasing which sets the standards kind of high for the contents. Fortunately, the contents live up to (and surpass) all expectations. Stephen Minch knows how to properly explain an effect and Tony Dunn is a fantastic illustrator who knows how to bring an effect on paper into life. The book contains 192 pages of mostly card and coin close up material. Of the sleights, I have seen a few people talking here and there about his alternative to the MCF called "The UNT Card Fold" A card is folded in 6ths right "under their noses". There is some really "out of the box thinking" like "the folded card color change" and "card in finger ring" along with some "in and out of the box work" on the Okito Box. I really liked the "Half Buck Torture Cell" as it can be played as bringing a big stage illusion to the close up table.

The cost is $65.00 most places. I have only seen it on the "used market" 2 or 3 times so I assume those who buy it like what they see and are keeping it. I was lucky enough to get it on a Penguin "Open Box" auction for $26 (so keep your eyes open, I have seen it there 3 or 4 times since). Although I do believe it is worth every penny of the retail price and consider it right in line with other "Magic Books" published in the last several years/decades.

Anyone that has something to add, feel free. I can't believe this has slipped under the radar for so long.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I picked this up when it came out but only got around to reading it recently. It is a beautiful book, which is admittedly why I bought it.

The material inside is great. I think part of why it hasn't gotten a lot of attention is that the stuff isn't super easy. You're going to have to focus and practice, and that means many casual performers are not going to like it.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
I agree, wonderful book but pretty tough stuff.
Like poof daddy, I don’t like the way the sheets are cut. Of course it is on purpose to make it like a centuries old book. But it’s not very nice neither convenient.
Again, some wonderful ideas in it.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
That's called a deckle edge. Read about it here.

https://themillions.com/2010/02/deckle-e......ion.html
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Thank you for the reference, I didn’t know that technique.
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1956 Posts

Profile of alexhui
I love the book so much, though frankly I doubt I will use any card material in the book cos they are somehow too out-of-the-box thinking.

BUT, there is an item I value so high that I doubt many readers will pass it as a 'joke'.

I won't name that effect cos it is a real gem that looks real magic. If you happen to know what I am talking about, try it. People (including magicians) will screa.

Alex Hui
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Name it, maybe I missed it the first reading.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2018, Tim Cavendish wrote:
That's called a deckle edge. Read about it here.

https://themillions.com/2010/02/deckle-e......ion.html
While I knew what a deckle edge book/page was, I didn't know the history. Very interesting.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
magojose|
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of magojose|
His book is awsome!
I like the coin material a lot
From his card material I’d recomend his raising cards handlings, his version of Germain Twist and some other items that I don’t recall right now......before I forget, his force works flawless with lay people and magicians alike, just a matter of attitude
About the finish of the pages, I go back go Tannen’s asking if it’s anything wrong with it 🤦🏻‍♂️
farmerkarl
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of farmerkarl
I'm a fan of the coin box material -- great stuff there that not too many do! or at least that is the way I see it. so if you aren't doing coin box stuff don't start. Thanks ! But it is very cool.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I posted this in a recent "for sale" thread where a copy finally sold after several price drops and multiple listing but since it will auto delete in a day or so, I felt it worth mentioning here also.

Quote:
On Apr 21, 2019, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Glad it sold. I see this book come up for sale quite often and it always drops by leaps and bounds for some reason (and often still doesn't sell as I see the same people re-listing it again later. The book is full of some really great magic. Yes, a lot of it is "harder" but that makes the magic better in my opinion. He was also a well rounded performer and you will find a wide range of different routine types. My only guess on why it is not a coveted "everybody wants it" book is that he was an "Underground" performer that I would guess many had not heard of before. I love my copy (but full disclosure - I got it during a very late night "open box" on Penguin for $26 IIRC) I know it was a steal but after reading it and seeing the quality of the routines within, I would be just as happy if I had paid full retail. Enjoy the book.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Aretalogy of Vanni Bossi by Stephen Minch (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL