The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Copycat by David Parr (127 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
It could be possible that they did genuinely get fooled. There have been quite a number of card tricks that have fooled them that had been published years before and for some reason Teller was not aware of that trick. One example was Mathieu Bich's spreadwave deck. It was a gimmicked deck many amateur magicians would have known since it was published years before and sold by magic dealer's. But it fooled them. Another example is Juan Tamariz's neither blind nor stupid which is published in his books and his lecture dvd. This was another item that many amateur magicians would have known but it fooled them. Another is John Armstrongs tiny plunger.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
It is certainly possible, again I am surprised as they have worked for years with Johnny Thompson and now Michael Close who are virtual encyclopedias of magic but you are right that as busy professionals they may not be aware of everything that is published or their initial idea of how a trick is done is not quite correct and hence they are officially fooled. At any rate for sure P&T and the producers want you to be successful and the producers make helpful suggestions ahead of time. My daughter Rachel Wax was on Penn and Teller (she did not fool them, but made them laugh) so I heard a bit about it.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Jon Armstrong's Tiny Plunger was not a fooler. A wonderful trick and brilliantly presented by Jon, but P&T were not fooled.

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2023, 1tepa1 wrote
Here is an idea. If you modify the handling slightly you can have an additional kicker ending. Use two blank decks and ommit the part where you and the spectator show the faces of the cards. At the end after the cards match, pick up your deck, turn it over and spread face up to show all blank cards. The spectator can now turn their cards over to show their cards are also all blank.

This has already been done -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyy-xcD4NRk

Personally I don't like it. I think it could steer analytical spectators in the direction of the correct explanation.

Re Neither Blind Nor Stupid - wasn't the version on Fool Us somewhat different from the standard version?
Also, I believe the rules of Fool Us are that P&T only get one guess. The performer led them down the wrong path. He appeared to peek at a card, so they guessed he used a key card, if I remember correctly. That meant he "fooled" them, according to the rules of the show.
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
The neither blind nor stupid on fool us if I recall had a different selection process, which imo there is no reason to do because it was weaker than having a spectators cut and take out cards. It feels like that selection process was specifically used to make a magician think another method was used. A dribble and say stop was used to get the cards selected. If I recall he didn't have the cards even cut before having the cards selected. So Pen and Teller guessed dribble force.
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
I remember in the first season there was another instance where I felt the people won on a technicality. In one trick there was a moment where it looked like deck switch was used, the deck went out of view for a moment and it had just been shuffled by the spectator. Then many cards were divined from the deck by the performer. Penn and Teller quessed deck switch which did not happen. The one guess rule had not yet been implemented and I was shouting at them to guess that cards were added to the top of the deck instead of the entire deck switched.

On another oddity, according to Michael Vincent, he should have won the trophy but he did not correct the wrong guess made by Pen and Teller. During one of his two appearances he had the ending for his routine where the deck went back to new deck order and Pen and Teller quessed a deck switch had happened somewhere along the routine but in reality no deck switch took place, all the previous routines before the big finish at the end were carefully created so they would allow the ending to take place without needing to switch the cards.

Previously during another performance Penn and Teller also had given a wrong guess and the performer similar to Michael had not called them out on it. Penn and Teller later realized their mistake and invited the person back and gave them the trophy. I don't know why they have not invited Michael Vincent back and given him the same treatment.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Well, David Parr's 'Copycat' did fool P&T and that's all that matters for this topic because it is about Copycat. Smile

Mark
Christian de Punto
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
174 Posts

Profile of Christian de Punto
Depends on the skills of the spectator for mixing the cards...
if they drop some cards could be a disaster ;-)

Quote:
On Jul 31, 2023, 1tepa1 wrote:
This is a great effect. I bought it when it came to penguin years ago. But I agree with people who were surprised it fooled pen and teller because I was sure I knew the method when I saw it on fool us but I decided to buy it thinking the method had to be something else if it fooled pen and teller. It was what I thought but I that is not a bad thing, that is the cleanest method for this effect.

Here is an idea. If you modify the handling slightly you can have an additional kicker ending. Use two blank decks and ommit the part where you and the spectator show the faces of the cards. At the end after the cards match, pick up your deck, turn it over and spread face up to show all blank cards. The spectator can now turn their cards over to show their cards are also all blank.
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2023, Christian de Punto wrote:

Quote:
On Jul 31, 2023, 1tepa1 wrote:
This is a great effect. I bought it when it came to penguin years ago. But I agree with people who were surprised it fooled pen and teller because I was sure I knew the method when I saw it on fool us but I decided to buy it thinking the method had to be something else if it fooled pen and teller. It was what I thought but I that is not a bad thing, that is the cleanest method for this effect.

True but also you can change the mixing procedure to almost completely eliminate the possibility. For example don't let the pick the deck up from the table and hold it in their hands. Have them givw cuts on the table instead.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I feel using blank decks would spoil the effect. A powerful part of the effect is that both decks are shown to be "normal" and substituting blank decks could suggest that gimmicked decks are being used.

Further, I don't feel a kicker is needed. The reveal of the matching cards is kicker enough because everything looks so fair and aboveboard.

Just my two cents.

My bell arrived, it is perfect. I looked at other options on eBay and Amazon (buzzers, ahooga horns, etc.) but I feel David's instincts to use the bell was the right call. And, since I gave some money to David to learn his handling (with pleasure), I do not feel using a bell is inappropriate.

Mark
Christian de Punto
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
174 Posts

Profile of Christian de Punto
Totally agree with you mark.
compared "copy cat" today, for myself, with "choice", and by entertainment factor and by strengths of the effect copycat, for me, is evident in front.

Quote:
On Aug 1, 2023, Magic Mark wrote:
I feel using blank decks would spoil the effect. A powerful part of the effect is that both decks are shown to be "normal" and substituting blank decks could suggest that gimmicked decks are being used.

Further, I don't feel a kicker is needed. The reveal of the matching cards is kicker enough because everything looks so fair and aboveboard.

Just my two cents.

My bell arrived, it is perfect. I looked at other options on eBay and Amazon (buzzers, ahooga horns, etc.) but I feel David's instincts to use the bell was the right call. And, since I gave some money to David to learn his handling (with pleasure), I do not feel using a bell is inappropriate.

Mark
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:

I was confused by this at first. You are referring to if the decks were blanks, right?
Martello
View Profile
Loyal user
Catskill Mountains
280 Posts

Profile of Martello
Quote:
Totally agree with you mark.
compared "copy cat" today, for myself, with "choice", and by entertainment factor and by strengths of the effect copycat, for me, is evident in front.

Quote:
On Aug 1, 2023, Magic Mark wrote:

Just my two cents.

Mark
Martello
View Profile
Loyal user
Catskill Mountains
280 Posts

Profile of Martello
Just got this and totally agree about the blank deck. That would be a true mistake. Also the review my magic orthodoxy is simply untrue. This is not a rehash of "Do as I do". If you read Scarne's work on this, it is totally different. David Parr is truly an originator despite the fact that it is more than 4 years old. This effect works as it is and simply love it.

Arthur
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
FYI, for those who could use some portability with this effect, there is a nice Service Bell app available at the App Store. I’m sure Android has similar versions.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Big thanks to everyone who has recently discovered Copycat and returned it to the top ten on Penguin Magic!

Mark, Martello — I agree with your assessment. Adding unnecessary handling and multiple reveals would muddy the waters. The strength of the effect, beyond the theatricality of the back-and-forth game, is in how fair and straightforward everything appears to be.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
PS. For folks who said they were looking forward to finding out what I’m releasing next, check out my web store for new stuff:
https://ko-fi.com/davidparr/shop
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Just got home from Ring 76's monthly meeting. It was a performance night for members, the theme was "Spooky Magic". I've been dying to perform Copycat for the Ring and I decided to add some comical spookiness to the routine by:

- Using one deck of Bicycle? Zombie Riders and one deck of Bicycle? Monsters playing cards.
- Used an electronic push button that emitted a scream when pressed (instead of a bell).
- Added a pair of skeleton hand/arm to use as "magic wands" and for pressing the button.
- Played some spooky background music.

The routine went over very well. Lots of laughs. I received multiple compliments from fellow members (about 40 in attendance). Here's some photos by Magic Doc Jeff Pearson. His wife, Laurie, was my assistant. She was hilariously fun!

We had 12 members perform tonight, it was a terrific evening!

Thank you, David Parr, for sharing this fabulous routine with the magic community!

Mark
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Looks like a fun performance. Congratulations
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Glad you had fun with it, Mark!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Copycat by David Parr (127 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL