The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Summer Camp Show Suggestions for a non kids magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BradenCarlisle
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of BradenCarlisle
Hello!

I love children and I am going to be putting on six shows this summer, but I have never done kids magic before. I've done open mics and gigs in comedy clubs. I have no idea what I'm in for. The county has given me 8 shows throughout the summer. The age range of the shows are going to be 6-11 year olds at each show. Can anyone point me in any direction?

Thanks!
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
My first question to you is this, "Are these supposed to be MAGIC SHOWS?" If not, then I'm sure others besides myself can point you in the right direction.

If these are suppose to be magic shows, then I don't know why you would accept something like this if magic isn't your thing.

How old are you and what region do you live?

Gerry
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
490 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Maybe checkout the Youtube-Channel of David Ginn. He is an expert of childrens magic. You can see him there perform about 120 tricks/gags especially for childrens audiences. You will probably see some stuff you like and want to perform too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOgG9GpQhkt4F4dHukKnXw

David Ginn and lots of other magic dealers sell great DVDs with live magic shows for children. If you have the money buy some DVDs and find some stuff you like and want to perform.

Good luck for your shows and have fun! ;-)
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1366 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Braden

I have sent you a PM

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
How many Kids Expected?

Is there a possibility of these being indoors or are they all outdoor shows?

How long are the shows?

Why did you take these gigs without having a show or at least some start on a show?

-Mary Mowder
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
What tricks do you already have?
BradenCarlisle
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of BradenCarlisle
Gerry, yes they are magic shows. I am a magician and I have shows, just not kids shows. I'm 21 in Colorado. I accepted because I have ideas for kids shows, but then the age gap is weird. I perform a lot of strolling magic at kids nights in restaurants like Texas Roadhouse or Chickfila, just have never done stage things for children.

Thanks Daniel and Mark. I'll check those out.

Mary, they are all outdoor shows. 30-40 minutes. I took the gig because its a gig a month away. I figured I could get something together in that time.

Dynamike, way too many to list. I just don't know what plays good with children on stage, so I'd say I have maybe one rope thing in my repertoire that kids would like.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Outdoors is harder than Kids because of sunlight wind and temperatures.

Take the most visual things in your repertoire and go outside with them and try them on a windy, sunny and hot day. Remember that you have to insist on working in the shade with the Kids in shade but that does not mean you won't be backlit from the sun in other areas so loads in silk or paper
(like T&R effects) may show if you aren't facing the right way. Loads will also be exposed by the slightest breeze blowing a light silk to form fit around a load. Don't even try to use a backdrop unless it is made for this use.

You'll be surprised at how many of your "Adult" things might work for Kids but if you are mostly working Close-Up your stuff may not be visual or large enough. You have not said how many Kids you expect.

I don't want to be mean because you have already committed but I would like to dissuade others from making the same mistake. A month is not enough time to do a good job of this and you are probably in for a hard time. Kids are more likely to treat you well if you don't talk down to them so don't try to change your performing style too much. Be a little more outgoing but not chirpy and be prepared to let one or two Kids look at the props if you can. (don't let them all do it even if it does fill time. it will kill the energy.)
Kids are probably nicer than you're expecting and you'll get through but you won't have the best material.

If you have Ropes or Ring and Rope, those will probably work. Jumbo McCombical is good if you have a very secure holder for the prediction.
Juggling works well outdoors.
Money tricks will work.
52 cards on one or the Baby prediction will get an laugh.
If you do any balloon modeling that might work if you can think up a couple of jokes or use some situational humor as you do it.
Some predictions work better with Kids if you play it like they are reading your mind (or even guessing which little Kids understand better than mind reading). That makes them the winner instead of you the powerful but that is fine. Just think about if any of your tricks could be turned around that way.

Best of Luck. You will learn a lot. (My first shows for Kids were pretty bad. The Kids did have fun but I did not. LOL).

Scan the Libraries in your area and go to any Kids shows that are open to the public. Get a business card and pass the shows on to someone else if you see you are not up to it. A really bad show depresses Magic in your area.

-Mary Mowder
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
There's an inexpensive paperback book by David Ginn, Samuel Patrick Smith, and Steve Taylor, titled "Creative KidTalk". There is one chapter in that book all about performing outdoor shows. That might be helpful, too.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Please, no more than one (if any) sucker tricks.

-Mary Mowder
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I agree with Mary that you may be surprised at how many of your "Adult" things might work for kids.
But kids are not as polite as adults and won’t pretend they are enjoying the show unless they are,
so expect open and somewhat honest feedback.

Tom
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On May 14, 2018, BradenCarlisle wrote:

Dynamike, way too many to list. I just don't know what plays good with children on stage, so I'd say I have maybe one rope thing in my repertoire that kids would like.

Tricks do not play good, it's the entertainer that has to play good. It depends on how you present the tricks. Your character, personality, skills, and humor with the tricks is what counts. Facial expressions are a plus. Check out this guy receiving few laughs because of the way he presented his act: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGN12tw_NKs

You must also make contact with the individuals of the audience. Do not look over their heads or at a wall.

Make the trick more mystifying for older groups of children.

Name ten tricks that you have now and can present in a smooth manner. (I would recommend tricks with color).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Summer Camp Show Suggestions for a non kids magician (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL