The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Greetings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sophocles
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Sophocles
Hi all!
Magic Café is the best website on the internet for anyone involved with magic. I've been a member for a short time and basically just reading stuff. I'm an amateur so I've learned a lot here. I'm a fan of Osterlind's work and in general simple magic or mentalism that doesn't require much in props or elaborate gimmicks. I find a lot of the commercial stuff we can create at home and the presentation goes a lot further than fancy props.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Xaire! I've been hoping to meet you some day! (You're the Greek who said, "One learns by doing the thing!",eh!)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
lnlver
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of lnlver
You would be the ideal person to perform the Sword of Damocles trick!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome Sophocles,

Most of the members here are amateurs so don't worry about that.

Have fun reading.

-Mary Mowder
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Incidentally, you cannot OWN a TRICK. TRICKS only exist while they are being PERFORMED. You can own, or BUY a PROP and/or a SECRET.)Using the PROP and/or SECRET, you can PERFORM a TRICK. If you perform the TRICK, with a good PRESENTATION, you will probably ENTERTAIN the spectator(s). (Magic is not inherently entertaining!!!!!) Write that in your notebook, and, never forget it. Some may disagree with that, BUT, they are not MAGICIANS. They are just guys who do tricks.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Sophocles, I sent you a pm. Please read.
Where the magic begins
Sophocles
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Sophocles
Quote:
On May 30, 2018, Dick Oslund wrote:
Incidentally, you cannot OWN a TRICK. TRICKS only exist while they are being PERFORMED. You can own, or BUY a PROP and/or a SECRET.)Using the PROP and/or SECRET, you can PERFORM a TRICK. If you perform the TRICK, with a good PRESENTATION, you will probably ENTERTAIN the spectator(s). (Magic is not inherently entertaining!!!!!) Write that in your notebook, and, never forget it. Some may disagree with that, BUT, they are not MAGICIANS. They are just guys who do tricks.

Good point. I'll try to remember that.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Good!!! BURN those words into your memory! (You will look 'funny' with a burnt memory! heehee

But, seriously, your namesake, would tell you the same thing If he were a magician!

The late S. H. Sharpe wrote (years ago): "Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks, are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."

TRICKS are only the TOOLS. Give a master carpenter, a hammer, saw, a level, and a square, plus lumber and nails, and, he will build a mansion. Give a Give an inexperienced carpenter, the same material, and, he will build a shack!

You understand that, it's not the PROPS! It's the PRESENTATION! My "motto" for almost 70 years, has been: KIS MIF. --That isn't Greek, that's an acronym. ("Keep it Simple Make It Fun")
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Welcome Sophocles! Looking forward to your contributions.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Sophocles
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Sophocles
Thanks guys. On presentation, I've started to realize that and adapt. Eg. Powerball 60 is just a ridiculously simple effect but can play so big. I don't have it but know it from an old magic set I have. I took the principle and expanded it to 80. So its a think of a number from 1-80. I did that so that I could use KINO tickets. Kino is a Greek game (cross between lotto and bingo) where up to EUR 1m can be won. So I use REAL lottery tickets. I spent about EUR 12 and have 7 ticket slips. It looks more real and more random than Powerball. I walk away and from a distance, I ask them to turn over the 'winning' slips. Only did it to family but plays great. Even my wife who doesn't like magic (what's wrong with her?) was surprised and liked it.
debjit
View Profile
Loyal user
India
213 Posts

Profile of debjit
Welcome to the Café! I feel the same way. I feel some of the commercial downloads have more "magic moments" too compared to the usual props.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Greetings (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL