The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Good resources for seance routines (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Several of you responded to my post on leads to effects that involved a specific place (such as a room), and a couple mentioned seances, something I hadn't considered all that much. Thank you.

So here's another question... do you have any leads to seance routines (or seance-type effects) that use very little in the way of props? No special cards, book tests, bells, or similar items. A few "ordinary" things like drinking glasses are okay. I've looked online and in my library but have to believe there's material I haven't found.

If this project works out, I'll be making up my own effects, so right now I'm just trying to get a feel for what's out there and what others have done.

Thanks much.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Look into Paul Voodini, and if you want to go more esoteric/metaphysical, look into Bill Montana.

If you're comfortable with pure psychological techniques/suggestion look into my book, link in signature.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
professortango
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of professortango
Paul Voodini has a Jack the Ripper seance which only uses an ungimmicked set of 3 pendulums in the early part of the routine. Since the pendulums are not gimmicked, you can buy them from any New Age shop or even make your own to suit your style. Even if you don't wish to do a Jack the Ripper seance, its a great resource which goes over setting the scene and guiding the sitters to giving you everything you need to succeed.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I would be remiss if I didn't point out that, if one is not already familiar with seances in general, it would be a good idea to review the classic literature on the subject. Even though much of the material you'll find in those volumes doesn't meet your criteria, understanding the "modus operandi" of what makes a seance work is crucial. Though I suspect anyone who's versed in bizarre magic will take to seances like a fish to water.

To that end I recommend Eugene Burger's Spirit Theater, and the collected Seance Magazine, both of which are reasonably affordable as I recall.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Thanks, Chris. Good resources.

I read a ton about seances many years ago when I became fascinated by Houdini, but I haven't kept up with it, except for loving movies and documentaries about the subject. Smile I'll definitely look into Burger and the magazines.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
The Houdini seance on January 8th 1929 was the greatest Seance of all time .. In my show Houdini's Ghost you'll see all the misinformation released to cover up Houdini's Afterlife Experiment with Bess. It's an amazing topic. I suggest you look at the Circle type Seances with trance mediums.. Peter Aykroyd wrote a stellar book about them .. It was the basis for GHOSTBUSTERS.... Smile Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
If you can find a copy of Brother Shadow's "Have Séance, Will Travel," you can learn about an excellent nearly-propless psychological séance.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Good resources for seance routines (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL