The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » 2 card Monte instructions (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
774 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
I’m in need of 2 card Monte instructions. Many years ago I bought a pitch dvd and it came with some instructions for a 2 card Monte with a price on it aswell. Can someone please help me out.

Thanks,
J Rodriguez
J Rodriguez
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Pm'd you.
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
774 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
Thanks Dollarbill but I’m looking for the instruction sheet so I can package it up and bundle it in a back or room deal.
J Rodriguez
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Many people call the trick David Blaine did "Two Card Monte". But I think you are talking about the one that only uses two gaff cards.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2018, close_up_act wrote:
Thanks Dollarbill but I’m looking for the instruction sheet so I can package it up and bundle it in a back or room deal.

Very simple to type up instructions for this trick.
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2018, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Many people call the trick David Blaine did "Two Card Monte". But I think you are talking about the one that only uses two gaff cards.

Which is why I always correct them.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2018, MeetMagicMike wrote:

Where is this Monte found.

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
321 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
Steve, I'm not sure when you say "this Monte" if you are referring to the one Blaine did but if so that is properly called "Be Honest, What is it?" by Eddie Fechter.

Glenn
SamChak
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2020, Steven Conner wrote:

Hi Steve,

The 'Monte' effect is known as Fechter's Be Honest, What Is It? and it was originally published in Jerry Mentzer's book, "Fechter: The Magic of Eddie Fechter". The book can be purchased on Amazon Books.

The card trick is also taught by Paul Gertner on the Secret Sessions DVD, but also available as a Downloadable Video.

Nevertheless, if you are already familiar with two basic sleights in the Card College - Volume 1, you should be able to perform this trick using your own creative patter.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Thanks for your help. Don't quite understand why its referred to a two card monte, but will give it a go.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
mantel
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of mantel
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2020, Steven Conner wrote:
Thanks for your help. Don't quite understand understand why its referred to a two card monte, but will give it a go.

Best

Steve

It’s just the non-logical plot that David Blaine and/or his consultants came up with.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Do you want to sell the pitch item that uses a DB & a DF card ?
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Betrayal Mix
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Betrayal Mix
Isn't this the same as Dr Daley's Last Trick?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2020, SamChak wrote:
Quote:

Hi Steve,

The 'Monte' effect is known as Fechter's Be Honest, What Is It? and it was originally published in Jerry Mentzer's book, "Fechter: The Magic of Eddie Fechter". The book can be purchased on Amazon Books.

The card trick is also taught by Paul Gertner on the Secret Sessions DVD, but also available as a Downloadable Video.

Nevertheless, if you are already familiar with two basic sleights in the Card College - Volume 1, you should be able to perform this trick using your own creative patter.

Incorrect. Two Card Monte uses two gaffs and is found in many beginner's magic sets.
Nothing to do with Fechter.
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Quote:
Isn't this the same as Dr Daley's Last Trick?

No, the original Two-Card Monte uses gaffs:

The trick performed by David Blaine on TV was a version of Eddie Fetchers "Be Honest, What Is It?". Here's Pop Haydn performing it at The Magic Castle with the "be honest" presentational hook:

Eddie's trick is similar in feel to The Last Trick of Dr. Jacob Daley because two cards are involved. But, as you can see from Pop's performance, it is not very similar beyond that. You can perform Daley's trick with a similar presentation and kicker (with some changes to the original method, of course).

Quote:
It's just the non-logical plot that David Blaine and/or his consultants came up with.

I don't think framing this trick as a monte-style short con is non-logical. Given the manner you switch the cards, it makes perfect sense. If I was going to perform it this way, I'd use a Queen and a Joker and add a phase where they did transpose before ringing in two Aces as the kicker cards. I'd say something like, "Find the Lady is difficult, let's play Chase the Ace instead!" before revealing the Aces.

Marty
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
This is a standard pitch item. You should be able to find a wholesale source for the packaged trick with instructions much cheaper than you could produce them.
Here is a source for the packaged produst at $.36 a set:

https://www.topsmagic.com/product_info.p......e-p-4064
SleightlySpooky
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of SleightlySpooky
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2020, SamChak wrote:
Quote:

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your thoroughness! This was very helpful :—)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » 2 card Monte instructions (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL