The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Best websites to get hired (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Maserati
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Maserati
This subject may already be on here but I couldn’t find it. But anyway, what websites would you say is best to get gigs performing at events? I’ve heard gigmasters is great!
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
Ones I currently use are:

-GigSalad
-Craigslist
-Yelp
-Facebook
-Google My Business (Google's version of Yelp essentially.)

Most of my business is through referrals. The above sites are great to generate new business, but not enough alone to keep business afloat.
Visit my online store at http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop Smile
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
543 Posts

Profile of Carducci
I've booked close to $90k through gigmasters.com directly, and about $40k indirectly (i.e. customers found my profile on GM and contacted me directly). In the same amount of time I've booked $0 through GigSalad. I've booked exactly one Gig on facebook. I would delete my Yelp profile if I could. For now it has me listed in a Ghost Town in Wyoming and I'm ok with that. I don't care for the company or their service.

There's no real reason for you not to get listed on all of those sites. Get a free account on http://bestlocalmagician.com as well.

Other than agreeing on the value of "google my business" my view and use of sites is the opposite of O'Brian's. He's not wrong and I'm not wrong; different things work for different people.

Not only do different sites work for different people, but different sites work better or worse market to market and town to town.

Let's start with an important question:

What types of shows do you want to book and WHO is your ideal client?

Sure you can get listed on all of those, the more you can be seen, the better. The question then becomes where do you want to invest time and money? Focus on where your ideal clients are shopping.

At the risk of going slightly off topic, I would add one more thing:

Don't use ANY of these sites as a substitute for doing the work. The biggest mistake I see performers make (and I've done it too) is to put a profile on a website and wait for the "phone to ring." If you're serious about the tricky business then focus on outbound sales and building relationships (O'Brian NAILED IT on this point!)

For example, so far this year I've been booked in 12 states as well as Europe and Asia. Almost all of those have been referrals & repeat bookings, NOT by being the lowest bidder on gigsalad. Food for thought Smile
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1101 Posts

Profile of Nash
Get a GREAT photographer is where to start.
step 1:) Get a legit photographer to capture the best pics of you that both shows your personality and also that you are someone people want to work with (A nice genuine smile goes a long way).
step 2:) Get that great photographer to capture you at work
Step 3.) create a website or HIRE someone who can create a website that'll best utilize those photos
step 4:) SEO

In this "gimme all I want to know in 0.3 seconds world", trust me, your first ally is your photo. People judge the visual of your website within the first 0.0000003 seconds of entering your site. If it is aesthetically pleasing showing someone they'll want to work with, they will be more likely to read what you have to offer.

The good old adage of "A picture speaks a 1000 words" is true for a reason.
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
761 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Get your "Google My Business" Listing set first.
All other listings need to copy the way Googles listing is set. It's called the NAP in digital marketing (Name Address phone)

You want to be on all the sites as these are considered business listings and help push your map rankings.

you want all the ones for your country that apply.

https://whitespark.ca/top-local-citation-sources-by-country/

A good call to action on your website is the best lead gen, the rest is all about throwing traffic at that C2A
its ok.. balloon dogs don't bite
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Best websites to get hired (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL