The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope-u-tation fools Penn & Teller on Fool Us (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
The subject line said it all. I'm not on board with the handling that was presented. Less is more.

The effect is still a highlight of my opening in my show.

Jimmy Fingers
www.jimmyfingers.com/products
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The singing magician did not fool Penn and Teller, he did not receive a trophy. Although he was very good in his presentation, he did have several slip ups that spoiled the effect.
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
What was the name of the performer?
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Penn put him over because it fooled Teller, and Penn explained that fooling Teller was the preferable achievement.

Bill's right, the performer butchered the effect.

Now, if the producers had chosen the originator of the effect to present his own, decades rehearsed and polished version of his own invention, then there would have been a miracle experience.

LOL!

Lately, the words 'moderation' and 'containment' continue to occur to me as the world fights for exposure, attention, views and hits.
Mark Timon
View Profile
Special user
596 Posts

Profile of Mark Timon
I wish Jimmy would have performed it instead!
https://youtu.be/PAfBSABh_t4
Regards
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
After this, the following episode features another of my methods, the subtlety from Slamdown. No credit, they won't let me do my creations, and you don't get to see the original performed. You're basically seeing the cover band.
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
If we talk about the originator of the effect then credit should go to Jeff Steward's 'rope through body' on which Rope-u-tation is based….
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
RVH Magic, I have to disagree, if we talk about rope though body, we have to go back farther then Jeff Steward. I own a Sam Berland improved version, and I believe there is a version in the TArbell Course as well. Any considered improvements do not change the basic effect, just the handling and added features.
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2018, Bill Hegbli wrote:
RVH Magic, I have to disagree, if we talk about rope though body, we have to go back farther then Jeff Steward. I own a Sam Berland improved version, and I believe there is a version in the TArbell Course as well. Any considered improvements do not change the basic effect, just the handling and added features.

There are many rope through body versions but the effect that was shown on 'Fool us' has it's roots in Jeff Steward's version which he called ' Rope through body' ( Sam Berland's version is called "RopeS through body" but I agree that it is somewhat confusing …)
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
The presentation on Fool Us could not be accomplished with Jeff Stewart's gimmick. My version was invented to use the flip stick move to accomplish the pull through from the back to the front. The Jeff Stewart moves just happen to work well with my gimmick.
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
My Rope-u-tation is actually inspired by my attempt to improve up Hang 'em High by making it repeatable, to avoid the fastening, and without a need to set it up on the body. The moves with Jeff Stewart's old version just happen to work well with my very updated gimmick.

Jeff's version didn't use the flip stick move or accomplish a Hang 'em High type of effect to pass from the back to the front, for what it's worth. My version can be held by one end, unlike Jeff Stewart's, and my version shows slack in the rope that Jeff Stewart's does not.

Most seem to agree that Rope-u-tation is a huge improvement on the Jeff Stewart gimmick, but I'll agree that Jeff Stewart's part of the routine is absolutely significant!

Jimmy
www.jimmyfingers.com/products
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope-u-tation fools Penn & Teller on Fool Us (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL