The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Dancing Cane (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Desmanthus
View Profile
New user
Frankfort, MI
51 Posts

Profile of Desmanthus
As an impoverished college student I don't really have the money I would need to shell out to get a decent dancing cane. Does anyone have any ideas on how one could be built? Smile
Sincerely Yours,
Desmanthus

"That is not dead which can eternal lie, for with strange aeons even death may die."
H.P. Lovecraft
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
If you know the method, the local hardware store or hobby shop might be a good place to start for the "do-it-yourselfer".

If you don't know the method, dancing canes they can be found for just a little more than a large pizza. It may be cheaper in the long run to buy and get something you like, rather than attempt to create and not get it quite right.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Telemus
View Profile
Regular user
Everett WA
128 Posts

Profile of Telemus
I have a "Creekmore deluxe" it cost about.. well it was "a lot". But I use a very cheap breakdown. It has been repaired with electrical tape at the joint 3 times because the ferrule split. I had to cut off about 1/4 of an inch to get it correct. As Mr. Eubank has stated, they do not have to be expensive. It's all in how you use it. When it's done right... well, people love it.

Telemus
Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Earth
121 Posts

Profile of Illusionist
Rob is on the money. If you know the method you could practically manufacture these things yourself. If you don't know the method... it isn't going to cost an arm or a leg. Smile
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
I have seen the dancing cane done quite effectively with a tightly rolled sheet of newspaper. It's all a matter of weight, balance and attachment point. If you know how the cane works you can make one from a wide variety of lighter weight materials. Who says it has to be a cane?

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Start with a piece of shower rod cover.. find a knob and ferrule from a heavier cane.. cut it off and put it in the ends..

paint the whole thing black and you have a good start.. even better.. paint it white and stain it with a stain/shellac.... who says that a magician's cane needs to be black.. they show up better on stage not black.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Nice bamboo plant poles in the local garden center for about a buck, if there is none growing nearby. Add the gimmick and away you go.
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
I made a dancing cane myself from pvc pipe from home depot.

My backdrop is black so I used thin black t****d. Drill a hole in the cane, feed the t****d through, weight it so that the thread retracts into the cane. (I used a bolt myself.) On the end you will hold, place something to stop it from shooting all the way into the hole.

So when you want to use it you can pull the t****d out, when done the t****d should slide back down into the cane.

Decorate the cane however you like. I placed a clear acrylic plastic ball on the top of mine, it looks very magical. The entire cane is worlds above the quality of commercial ones, and only cost about 10 bucks max.

Hope this helps.

Steven

The whole thing
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Am I the only one who has seen that new toy on the market that is pretty much just a dancing cane?
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
That's a good idea on the retracting t****d you have there Haywire!

You are thinking like a magician! Smile

I made one when I was about 10 years old and found out that making the thing is only the first stage. Practice making it look right and appealing took much longer!
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2006-01-04 13:49, JackScratch wrote:
Am I the only one who has seen that new toy on the market that is pretty much just a dancing cane?

Do you know of a web page where it is advertised?
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
magician211
View Profile
New user
Key West, FL
63 Posts

Profile of magician211
I do the dancing cane myself.. I was featured in the Linking Ring Youth Forum about it too. David Mann made the best canes I ever saw. He has discontinued them now. If he makes more I suggest that. It's the one I use in my act. It's nice and only $40. Also if you find a cane I recommend his dvd on the dancing cane. It's called Dancing Cane 101. It's well worth the money! Also I have seen those toys. They are like wand-sized things. The weight is off though.

Christian
"Come with me and you'll be in a world of pure imagination." Gene Wilder
ChristopherD
View Profile
New user
St. Louis
71 Posts

Profile of ChristopherD
Haywire...

I agree with shrubsole... that retractable t****d is a great idea. I wonder if there would be a way to rig that up to a "vanishing" cane like Fantasio's.

Very good thinking
Christopher David
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Might want to hold off on that purchase. I saw a comercial the other day for a kids toy, it was a dancing cane. Advertised on television, sold at your finer retail outlets.
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Hopefully this "toy" will meet the same fate as the "Trik-Stik" which showed up in the early 80s. The manufacturers took a beating on it.
michaelrice
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
257 Posts

Profile of michaelrice
Quote:
On 2006-01-04 13:11, haywire wrote:
I made a dancing cane myself from pvc pipe from home depot.

My backdrop is black so I used thin black t****d. Drill a hole in the cane, feed the t****d through, weight it so that the thread retracts into the cane. (I used a bolt myself.) On the end you will hold, place something to stop it from shooting all the way into the hole.

So when you want to use it you can pull the t****d out, when done the t****d should slide back down into the cane.

Decorate the cane however you like. I placed a clear acrylic plastic ball on the top of mine, it looks very magical. The entire cane is worlds above the quality of commercial ones, and only cost about 10 bucks max.

Hope this helps.

Steven

The whole thing

Sounds interesting. What is the control like with a retracting th...d compared to a standard cane? Do you have any pictures or videos of it?

Mike
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Quote:
On 2006-02-08 10:18, Frank Simpson wrote:
Hopefully this "toy" will meet the same fate as the "Trik-Stik" which showed up in the early 80s. The manufacturers took a beating on it.

Hard to say, it was advertised kind of like a frisbee. Like some sort of dance game activity thing. It might catch on.
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
I suppose time will tell. Although last time that was the same angle they tried to market it.
doublelift
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of doublelift
If you want a super-light cane try rolling 1/16 balsa. You may need to form it wet, let it dry then bond it together. Add the tips and some finish work. You could add the internal slide thread before finishing. Losander used to and may still sell dancing wands made from balsa. They were fabulous to see. Lighter weight seems to change the performace speed to a more magical level.
doublelift
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of doublelift
Quote:
On 2006-01-07 22:50, magician211 wrote:
I do the dancing cane myself.. I was featured in the Linking Ring Youth Forum about it too. David Mann made the best canes I ever saw. He has discontinued them now. If he makes more I suggest that. It's the one I use in my act. It's nice and only $40. Also if you find a cane I recommend his dvd on the dancing cane. It's called Dancing Cane 101. It's well worth the money! Also I have seen those toys. They are like wand-sized things. The weight is off though.

Christian

I bought one of those at the 2004 IBM convention. It is nice but I never had much luck learning it. I always thought it was top-heavy but they claimed they were prebalanced correctly. I wonder if the DVD is still for sale?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Dancing Cane (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL