The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Dr Roberts sleeving move... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ste Fox
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Ste Fox
I'm newish to all this. (13 months in). Aged (early 50s). But I practice like a lunatic. (I'm never not holding something to do with magic. Except sometimes when I'm typing, like now)

Anyway, about Dr Roberts sleeving move as shown in Ponta the Smith's One Coin Routine on Sick - the right hand travelling back behind the left forearm and the right hand more or less resting on it bit, does or has anyone (while still doing the move at the same point) continue(d) the movement so as the right hand does a complete loop around the left forearm, so the right hand finishes near the left elbow and the left hand is above the right forearm, back where they both started? I hope that made sense. I'm aware the 'bigger movement hides the smaller move(ment), but this is countered by 'as little movement as possible making the reappearance arguably look more magical. We don't want a routine to look unnecessarily busy, but the full loop could be said to be a bit like 'stirring a mixture or waving a wand'. Impossible to know I guess, I just wondered if anyone did that, or had done. That was all. Thank you.

[PS. I did the required 'Make yourself known / New Arrivals thing' when I first joined a year ago. But as Steven rather than Ste - I misplaced my log in details and it seemed easier to reregister]
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hiya Fox...Welcome "back" to the Café... Smile

I'm not too sure about exactly what you're asking here, but in general I can tell you that I've always loved the art of sl**vin* ... You can create some incredible magic with it, and I spent a lot of time doing it, amazing people with it, and admiring those that do it well. It's covered in Bobo's New Modern Coin Magic, but as to these modern times it seems to be somewhat of a lost art. But man, when you can do this well, believe you me, the magic seems just impossible. Smile To that end, this is still one of the very best presentations I've seen as to it, and it really inspired me to work at it (and specifically the "Dr. Roberts Method")... Still to this day, I'm so happy I did. Smile To this day, a couple of the very best things I ever learned in coin magic are the Sylvester Pitch and sl**vin*. The better understanding and application of them both opened new horizons that still very much shine bright to me. Smile

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x21dzSWmPU

And again, "Welcome Back!" Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Ste Fox
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Ste Fox
Thank you for your kind welcome. The linked clip is indeed gobsmacking.

Apologies for not being clear. I'll try again...

The One Coin sequence...after the retention, the arms cross, the left hand is spread/shown open above the right forearm, near the right elbow.

The coin is then produced in the right hand, which is below the left forearm.

The right hand them moves up behind the left forearm, while the left hand moves around the right forearm, until it's more or less hidden behind it.

The right hand is by now slightly above the left forearm, arms still crossed, at this point the Dr R SM takes place.

The right hand is shown empty and the coin is produced in the left hand which is below the right elbow.

If you're still reading st this point... Wow and thank you. It's more than I deserve.

What I meant is rather than showing the right hand empty at that point and the producing the coin in the left, does anyone do 'another 'arm around arm half' rotation first.? So essentially the exact thing I've described, as seen in Sick, but with an extra half rotation first, so the right hand is above the left forearm when shown empty, and the when the coin is produced in the left hand, the left is below the right forearm, genuinely mirroring the first vanish and reveal - empty hand on top of opposite forearm, coin produced in hand below the opposite forearm.

Again, I hope that makes sense. It allows you to effectively pluck the coin from opposite ellbows and the extra movements could distract from any imperfections in the Dr R SM.

That's all. No really. It is. Thank you.
Ste Fox
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Ste Fox
Please ignore the previous post!

Arghh...spent an age typing that^ on my phone (I'm not at home), realised it wasn't clear, went to edit it, took so long the 30 minute edit period had passed! (I thought forums generally allow edits until there's a new post in that thread, obviously not. Consider me taught)

Here's what I meant to say....

Thank you for the kind welcome.

The linked clip is indeed gobsmacking.

(I was spent ages typing a garbled description on my phone...which I'm now replacing with this...)

Essentially, what I mean is as shown in Sick, but prior to showing the right hand empty and producing the coin the left hand (with arms stil crossed, having executed the Dr R SM, doing a complete forearm round forearm rotation first (after executing the Dr R SM but before showing its results) - the action is akin to winding.
This unnecessary extra rotation may mask or distract from imperfections in the execution of the Dr R SM and may look a bit like 'enacting a spell', a mini whirlwind type thing.

I hope that's clearer. If not, sorry for wasting your time. Either way. Thank you.

That really is it. Truly.
scotchrocket
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
120 Posts

Profile of scotchrocket
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2018, Mb217 wrote:
I've always loved the art of sl**vin* ... You can create some incredible magic with it, and I spent a lot of time doing it, amazing people with it, and admiring those that do it well. It's covered in Bobo's New Modern Coin Magic, but as to these modern times it seems to be somewhat of a lost art. But man, when you can do this well, believe you me, the magic seems just impossible. Smile To that end, this is still one of the very best presentations I've seen as to it, and it really inspired me to work at it (and specifically the "Dr. Roberts Method")... Still to this day, I'm so happy I did. Smile To this day, a couple of the very best things I ever learned in coin magic are the Sylvester Pitch and sl**vin*. The better understanding and application of them both opened new horizons that still very much shine bright to me. Smile

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x21dzSWmPU

Woohoo! Now there's someone who's put the hours in to polish their performance!
All about borrowed coins.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Dr Roberts sleeving move... (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL