The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Change bag or other (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
I am working on a California gold rush act. Some of it has to do with how people paid for things. No credit cards, checks or paper money. Gold dust is nice but not very practical. I have some money, gold and coin tricks.

Someone said I needed to do a trick involving bartering. My only thought is to change one thing into another in a change bag. I know lots of magicians don't like change bags, but they look period.

Any other ideas?
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
If you're talking about the version with a handle, it may look period, but is still unrecognizable to your modern audience. As I live the change vag principal, I've often bemoaned this. However, a 'tote bag' made up to look like a bag that once held gold dust, an old bank's money bag, or the like could be less suspicious while looking period and help you work your magic.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
You might find some ideas in the newest Wiz Kid Lesson - "Silver and Gold" which uses plastic coins to perform a routine made up of various coins across effects as well as a Matrix. There is even a variation that uses Chinese coins, for that part of the story of the old California days.

https://www.magicnook.com/WizKidMagicBof......randGold
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Gomeral, I believe you are not dealing with the presentations, but looking to much props. Any effect that uses the exchange or transposition method should work with this kind of theme. You may even present it in a story fashion presentation.

Definition of barter. bartered; bartering; barters. intransitive verb. : to trade by exchanging one commodity for another : to trade goods or services in exchange for other goods or services.

Also demonstrate your powers of persuasion.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Quote:
On Aug 19, 2018, Rook wrote:
If you're talking about the version with a handle, it may look period, but is still unrecognizable to your modern audience. As I live the change vag principal, I've often bemoaned this. However, a 'tote bag' made up to look like a bag that once held gold dust, an old bank's money bag, or the like could be less suspicious while looking period and help you work your magic.

Thanks. I use a change bag all the time and always get great reactions.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Quote:
On Aug 19, 2018, jimgerrish wrote:
You might find some ideas in the newest Wiz Kid Lesson - "Silver and Gold" which uses plastic coins to perform a routine made up of various coins across effects as well as a Matrix. There is even a variation that uses Chinese coins, for that part of the story of the old California days.

https://www.magicnook.com/WizKidMagicBof......randGold

Thanks, however I have good coin routines including matrix.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Change bag or other (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL