The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Ken Brooke Egg Bag (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Norm
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Norm
I'm interested in purchasing a set of notes I found called "Ken Brooke and Friends and the Malini Egg Bag." However, for $20 more, I can download the ebook and get the book entitled "Ken Brooke and Friends" by Derek Lever. The table of contents for the ebook is quite extensive, and includes an "Egg and Bag" routine. Does anyone know if this routine is the same as the set of notes I want to buy?

It seems to me that the $30 ebook is well worth the purchase, especially if it will contain the same routine I want from the single set of notes.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The book originally sold for $130, I have a copy. As far as I know he never published Volume 2.

The Egg Bag routine in this book, is not for the Malini Egg Bag, it is for an early routine Ken Brooke created for the Zipper Egg Bag, of which, I cannot find a properly made one for the last 50 years.

The Malini Egg Bag routine by Ken Brooke can be found for as little as $10 plus postage, and no more then $15.00 both a printed version.

Get it here, I have referenced this website several times, Danny Tong's wife make an excellent version of the Malini Egg Bag as well.

http://magicbypauline.com/index.php?id_c......category
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Norm;
Bill is advising you correctly. The book "Ken Brooke & Friends & The Malini Egg Bag" is the best source to learn from unless you have someone personally teach it to you. Pauline makes in my humble
opinion the BEST Malini egg bag on the market. I have several, yet I have been using Pauline's bag for well over 40 years now.

I had the good fortune of having Ken Brooke go over the details in his shop for close to 4 hours making sure that I had every move down pat. Ken is very much missed, he was one of a kind.

While you are at it, get 2 bags along with the book and Danny's glass production finish. You may not
use the glass production all the time, but for those special times, it is priceless.

Anytime Bill Hegbi is giving advice, listen as there are many many years of knowledge there.

All the Best
Marty
Norm
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Norm
I got the Ken Brooke notes, only to discover that my Malini Egg Bag is left handed! It's not a huge deal to learn left handed, but it would've been nice if the bag was similar to what is taught in the notes haha.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I guess you did not read the Ken Brooke instructions. It tells you how to hold the bag, look at the drawings again.

It is not a left hand bag, it is the fact that you are not holding the bag with the correct side toward you. I have explained this already in another topic about the Malini Bag.

Did you buy the cheap Baza de Magia bag? They do not have the stitching that helps you hold the bag correctly.

Why ask if you are not going to take professional advice, and do what you want. We gave you the information where to buy the correctly made bag, and the correct instructions.

What notes are speaking of? The booklet we referenced is not notes, but the complete step by step handling and routine on how to work with the bag and spectators.

Please be more clear in your comments, as what you are saying does not make sense.
Norm
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Norm
Bill................... and martini.

Thank you for advice as always, OK?

What I ended up getting was "Ken Brooke's Magic Place" by Anthony Brahams (L&L Publishing). In this set of notes, there is a routine entitled "Ken Brooke and Friends work on THE MALINI EGG BAG," and it is written by Ken Brooke, himself.

The very first step (along with illustrations) is to hold the Malini egg bag INSIDE OUT, with the p****t on the OUTSIDE and at your upper right (performers view). The opening of the bag is on the bottom. The particular bag that I already have, labeled a "Malini Bag" by Modern Magic has the p****t on the LEFT side when I lay it out as the instructions say to do.

So to address your first comment, I DID read the Ken Brooke instructions and followed them VERBATIM. This is why I was saying that I believe I have a "left" hand Malini bag.

I did NOT get the booklet that you suggested, but was assuming that this write up was identical because it has Ken Brooke's instructions and illustrations by Sid Lorraine. Perhaps this is yet a DIFFERENT rendition than what is in that booklet you are referring to?

Is that clear enough?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thank you Norm, that is how all post should be, complete and clear. Yes, the Anthony Brahams book is also another source that has the original instructions, so you have a good source. I never mentioned that reference, as it a limited run, and as far as I know, they were all sold out, meaning that book would be many times the original price. Again they are not notes, they are complete instructions. There is a difference between notes and detailed instructions.

If I understand you correctly, you are holding the bag inside out, with arms extended in front of you. The curve is facing you and on the right side. The main opening is toward the floor. You have your right thumb over the curve, and then you turn your wrist forward, to show the spectator, and say the lines, and have the spectator feel the material between your right and left hands.

So you cannot cover the curve with your right thumb, but have to use the left thumb?

Also, does your bag have the double stitch on only one side at the full opening of the bag? The instructions mention this as a check for properly holding the bag, and that will tell you were the curve is on the inside at any point in the routine. The double stitch is something that you only know about, and cannot be noticed by spectators do to thread being color the same as the bag.

What I mean by double stitch is the mouth is stitched along the edge, then just below on one side is another line of stitching. The other side only has the top opening edge with one stitch running across the opening.

Hope my question is clear.

The reason I suggested you read the instructions was because most people read fast, and only take the idea away. As a long time Ken Brooke of almost all his items he use to sell, his instructions were priceless. I found that every word he typed was important, and every word should be absorbed, not just gleaned over. Ken Brooke made me a better performer with his advice and instructions that can be used in all your performances.

In other words if the instructions are read in less then 2 hours, then so much will be missed at becoming a better performer, and give a professional presentation.

I am trying to help you, even though, sometimes some of my words are misunderstood.

So you are in the UK, good great country.
Norm
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Norm
Bill, you are correct. when I hold the inside out bag as you say above, the curve is on the left side. After reading Ken Brooke's full instructions, I agree wholeheartedly that EVERY word wrote is important. The guy clearly cared about what he wrote. I don't think I've ever read any magic instructions that went into that much detail, it's crazy. He even says, after writing 2 or 3 pages worth of instruction that the sequence should only take 7 seconds! LOL.

I'm working on making my own egg bag right now because some of the prices of the recommended egg bags are beyond my budget for now. Fortunately, I know how to sew, so I will be using some of my old donation clothes to make something to start practicing with. I'm really amazed at the current egg bag I do have. every seam is hidden! I have no idea how they did that.

Thanks again for your advice, Bill. I know you always have important input into our magic tricks and questions Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sent you a PM.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Ken Brooke Egg Bag (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL