The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Lost ebooks (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Well, I hate to put this out there, but maybe I can get some back. In the last few years I had to computers break down. In the process I lost a lot of info.

What hurts is that I actually don't know everything I've lost. I know it's a big thing to ask, but if any sellers of ebooks have kept files on buyers of their stuff, and if I was one of them, could you send me a note just so I at least know what I'm missing.

Thanks. I'll also put this in Inner Thoughts. It's very frustrating.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Greg, have you tried some of the recovery software that's out there? I've had tremendous luck with .pdf file when it comes to recovery. Some good and free recovery software are, Recuva https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva and Free Undelete https://www.lifewire.com/freeundelete-review-2622880 Both softwares I believe, come with portable options.

I hope that helps Greg, as you contribute so much to the community it would be nice to know that these tips helped? Thank you for all you do.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
ProfessorMagicJMG
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of ProfessorMagicJMG
You can always re-download from Penguin and Lybrary.com after you log in
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Clarke's 3rd Law

"Any sufficiently primitive technology can mystify a postmodern audience." - JMG's Corollary to Clarke's 3rd Law
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Thanks for the leads, but I'm afraid most of the stuff was lost via completely dead hard drives of long ago. I no longer even have those. I do have all my links to Penguin and Lybrary and others like that... but what I lost were the ebooks I bought from specific people over the years.

What's frustrating is I can't even tell what's missing because I had so many of them. What will happen is I will occasionally get an idea and remember it was based on something I read in an ebook. I then try to search and find that's one of the ebooks that are missing.

I'm going to just have to live with it.

Greg
dan the man
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of dan the man
If you bought the PDFs from individual people chances are you got them via email, right? So you could just filter your inbox for all PDFs..
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Dan, I've tried that, but I also lost a lot of mail info when two computers went down many years ago. I've found about a dozen or so looking through old emails, but I know there are a few hundred or so that are missing. I've had stuff from over 15 get... well, lost.

Greg
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
PROBLEM FIXED!!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile A friend helped me go into an old drive I had and I was able to find about 90% of the stuff I had.. Man, I'm jumping up and down. I can't believe this problem was able to be fixed.

Thanks to everyone that put in some ideas and to those that wrote to me via PM to see if they could help. Thank you all.

Greg
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
Are you lucky!
Had that issue once & was not as lucky as you.
Now I use carbonite to automatically back my files up.

Great news Greg.

Charlie
saxonia
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of saxonia
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2018, Greg Arce wrote:
PROBLEM FIXED!!!!

Remember that the problem is NOT fixed as long as you have not established regular backups.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

I'm glad that even after you seemed to have given up, you were able to recover much of what was lost Smile That was what I hoped would happen with my suggestions.

Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Thanks guys. Yep, it's time to back up the back ups.

Greg
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

With so many of us having had the same problem, I wanted to post this software which just came to my attention and is only available for ONE day. https://www.giveawayoftheday.com/air-live-drive-1-1-3/ I think it could help us all, in saving our content quickly and easily in the cloud but just like an external drive.

bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Use something like Dropbox and put all your PDFs in the cloud where you'll never lose them. You may have to pay extra to get enough space, but at least you'll never lose anything again.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

The software I posted works with dropbox and other cloud companies. Did you check it out?

Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
The software I posted works with dropbox and other cloud companies. Did you check it out?

Haven't done it yet. So far I've made copies onto two different hard drives.

Greg
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
2 drives + DVD is what I have had to resort to Greg, after loosing a 10 year collection including some rare seance stuff. If possible keep the DVDs off site for restoration in case of fire.In business some years back I lost some $100,000 in a fire that destroyed all my digitized licensed Images and my library of company digitized one of a kind art...and at that time had NO back-ups and a fight I did not win with insurance company. I was still naive about off site. then -- much. much colder and a. little wiser now.

I just went through a DVD Crash while making some originals that at my 7 year old super-drive. I was able to replace it with an external burner for $40, Well with the effort.

Gregg C
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
A few days ago, I tried finding a particular e-book, and noticed that I was missing many of my e-book files.
I think I forgot to transfer them when I got a new computer.
The particular e-book in question was purchased as part of a large order from the late Bob Cassidy, back when he was selling his stuff directly (as opposed to via Jheff or Lybrary)
So I guess there is no hope to get them back.
I guess the moral of the story is to keep good backups.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
You can get about 9 gigs of Dropbox for free..

About 15 gigs on Google drive for free.

And on box you can get about 10 gigs

All free.
Jheff
View Profile
V.I.P.
402 Posts

Profile of Jheff
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2018, ElliottB wrote:
The particular e-book in question was purchased as part of a large order from the late Bob Cassidy, back when he was selling his stuff directly (as opposed to via Jheff or Lybrary)
So I guess there is no hope to get them back.

E-mail me with details. I may be able to help you.
- Jheff
Marketplace of the Mind PARIMENTAL, a 200 page exploration of a classic Martin Gardner principle, is now available!!
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Cool!!
I will dig up evidence of the order(s).
Thanks, JHEFF!!!! Smile

Elliott
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Lost ebooks (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL