The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Bobo coin magic (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicdave56
View Profile
Regular user
Ellisville, MO 63011
195 Posts

Profile of magicdave56
What is the difference betwween the old Bobo coin maagic book & the new one ?
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2006, John Long wrote:
For what it is worth, the "new" version is identical to the Dover reprint up to page 353 - they are page by page exactly the same. The "new" versions has 4 extra chapters(pp 354 - 509).

Are these extra chapters worth the money? I guess that depends on you. I happened to find my copy for $5.50, it had minor water damage. So for me it was worth that Smile

Not that this is a quantitative measure of worth, but I noticed that I have about as many post-it notes stuck in the extra chapters as I have in the earlier chapters Smile

Like someone else said, I find Bobo to be more of a reference. When someone on the Café makes a recommendation, or I see a method that I have interest in, I check it out. I learned most of my coin sleights of hand from Ammar's Complete introduction to Coin Magic, I'm also working through Roth's Expert Coin Magic made easy v 1-3. I love books, but it is so nice to see a sleight actually done, at least to get started.

John

Quote:
On May 11, 2018, mindmagic wrote:
The hardback "New" is larger, easier to use and has extra chapters. Details here:

https://magicref.net/magicbooks/books/bo......agic.htm

Barry
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Are you quoting me? (said with a gruff NY/Bronx accent)

In the last few years, there have been DVD renditions of "Bobo". These are good, but I believe that they are limited to the "Modern Coin Magic" book, AND there are some effects that are NOT in the DVD's. Still, it is nice to be able to see these performed.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
magicdave56
View Profile
Regular user
Ellisville, MO 63011
195 Posts

Profile of magicdave56
So it's doesn't matter which verion that I have
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2018, magicdave56 wrote:

?
The updated coin box and gaffed coin chapters makes the Expanded edition a better reference.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Agreeing with Jonathan, the "Modern Coin Magic" goes to page 353; the "New Modern.." has all of that, and then adds stuff from p354 to page 509.

(NOTE, up to p353, the *each* page of the two versions have identical content)

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
I've already been quoted above, but I may as well repeat it; this link will tell you everything you need to know about the two editions.

https://magicref.net/magicbooks/books/bo......agic.htm

Barry
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2018, magicdave56 wrote:

Basically not, it's just about what you want out of it as a reference. If it does not matter as to the work after p.353, then the paperback version will do the trick well enough for you, as those first 353 pages or so are the beginning of it all. Smile

*Great to see the responses here, especially those I quoted above, good to see them personally chime in again as to this... Smile

Good journey to you. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Since the "new" version contains the "old" in addition to other material not found in the old, unless cost is the problem (the Dover paperback old edition costs around $10, the hardcover new edition costs around $35), it makes the most sense to get the new edition.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea you can't go wrong with the hardbound ! it is What I started with !!! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Jay had "forgottten" to update the copyright, on the original edition! Dover has 'people' watching for this situation!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Bobo coin magic (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL