The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Card Magic Training DVDs? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jasonh1982
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of jasonh1982
Hi everyone...

If someone were looking to learn card magic, what would be the best DVD training set to learn from? I'm looking to learn the foundation moves and mechanics that anyone looking to become a great card magician would need to learn in order to move forward.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Don't know if it "works" for a rank beginner - but you might want to check out my 4-volume "Best Ever" DVD set.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Jasonh1982,

there has been a discussion going on for a few weeks on this.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=41

My recommendation goes to this Card College DVD series (4 DVD's in total) which cover, more or less, the first two volumes of the Card College Books.

Mark
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
I second the Card College DVD series. I have it and refer to it often.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
I would suggest the complete course on card magic DVD set by Gerry griffin and magic makers. It is a good value for money starter set for the beginner.
For a bit more money, I also think the big blind media card magic essentials box set is very good. Their various self working DVDs, and Jon Bannon move zero sets, are also nice additions for the beginner.

Book wise, it is hard to beat Harry Lorayne's The Magic Book as a starter. For a little bit more investment you get the Royal Road to card magic along with the encyclopedia of card tricks from Dover reprints. With more money available the first couple of card college tomes, and the card college light book, are excellent, if somewhat OTT for the beginner.

From YouTube, I suggest Julain Mathers Young magician school, and scam school.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Good suggestions TW. I second Gerry Griffin's DVDs along with Giobbi's.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1569 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
I started with "Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights" DVDs. 8 volumes total and covers everything you need to know. Great if you need to see stuff in action although I prefer books.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Oz Pearlmans “Born to Perform” DVD. I was never much of a card guy until I got this and took time to watch, learn, and practice, he shows the basics, and gives you routines you can then use the slieghts.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
BigTexas
View Profile
New user
San Diego, CA
51 Posts

Profile of BigTexas
When I was getting into card magic, there were (and still are) tons of good resources for learning the basics. My challenge was finding things in the intermediate range that would both challenge me but weren't difficult enough to where I wouldn't progress. For that, I absolutely love the Malone Meets Marlo set. I couldn't recommend it more.
nyborn
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of nyborn
I'm a fan of John Carey's 'Zero to Hero' from ALAKAZAM. It's taught the way, I think, magic should be. In a light, fun, playful atmosphere.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2018, jasonh1982 wrote:
If someone were looking to learn card magic, what would be the best DVD training set to learn from? I'm looking to learn the foundation moves and mechanics that anyone looking to become a great card magician would need to learn in order to move forward.

Here's an article I wrote which answers exactly that question, covering both books and videos:

Recommended Resources for Beginners in Card Magic
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......c=698761
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
As far as videos go, I second the recommendations for Giobbi video, which you can get here. To get a taste of what it's like, you can check out the first lesson ("Fundamental Techniques") as a free download here.

Oz Pearlman's Born to Perform Card Magic DVD is good if you want something shorter, but it really focuses on teaching you sleights needed for four main routines, whereas the Giobbi course is much more thorough and comprehensive. I've personally worked through both of these carefully, and benefited far more from the Giobbi videos.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights, probably the best overall resource on card sleights on video as well Card College as far as books go. Also several others out there I like RRTCM by Rudy Hunter, and my buddy Ben Salinas has several great card magic DVDS out there, Card Weapons, Card Stunts, Showoff With Cards, Amazing Easy To Learn Series, Hot Shot Color Changes, etc. He also has the most comprehensive coin sleights/magic DVD "Modern Coin Magic" as well, and a great sponge balls DVD among many others.

I also recommend the books to along with them RRTCM, Expert Card Technique, Expert at the Card Table, Card Control (Arthur Buckley) Card College, Tarbell, Scarne on Card Tricks, Mark Wilson's Complete Course, The Encyclopedia of Card Magic, The Magic Book and Close-up Card Magic, (Harry Lorayne) The Amateur Magicians Handbook and Learn Magic, (Henry Hay) Greater Magic, etc. All of these were some of my first resources about 40 years ago when I first started magic as a young kid and I still refer to them today. So there are a lot to chose from, Ammar's Easy To Master series is great, as well as the lesser known and underrated "Ultimate Card Sessions" DVD which has like 6-8 hours of material on each DVD.

But the most comprehensive DVD as far as card sleights go and tools to build the foundation to your magic house is definitely Daryl's EOCS followed by RRTCM, and many others out there as well such as Complete Card Magic with Gerry Griffin, and the Tarbell Course also now on instant download, as well as many other card effects and sleights out there on many various DVDS. So there is a lot out there. But I would start with those first, especially EOCS, RRTCM, and the Card College, RRTCM, ECT, and EATCT books. The old Amateur Magicians Handbook is what started my foundation 40 years ago with card magic, and every other genre as well, followed by the others and Scarne on Magic Tricks, Bill Severn titles, Bruce Elliott, Karl Fulves, Annemann, and many many more.

You get so much more with books, but for me VHS and DVD were a godsend to see the timing of a sleight, misdirection, patter, and presentations. So they both compliment each other well.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Card Magic Training DVDs? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL