The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Gold Coins. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I have enough Silver to last me a century....

I have begun looking into Gold Coins, for some of my routines. I don't know where to start or even what gold coins are decent.

I prefer half size...

Any help is appreciated.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
KidMagic87
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of KidMagic87
I have a gold plated half dollar...got it for 12 bucks. It's a 1984 Kennedy that I saw in a store near my house and got it just because I thought it was novel. Google "gold plated halfs"

I found a great source... http://www.iccoin.com/go19kesihado.html
Hope this helps!
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Why not try to search for them on ebay. There may be good ones there too.

-Bill
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
I have some gold plated halfs. PM me if you're interested in discussing a transaction.
"Anything is possible... if you don't know what you are talking about."
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Try eBay and search US gold coins. The ten dollar eagle gold pieces from turn of the century that are not mint sell for a premium over their melt down price. Gold sells for about $388 an ounce and these coins have 1/2 ounce of fine gold in them. They are roughly half dollar size. The $20 double eagle gold coins are about 33mm and larger than a US Kennedy half but smaller than a silver dollar. Non mint ones run about $450-500. If you are using gold coins for magic don't pay extra for mint coins.

By the way, if you are going to work with gold coins be careful about dropping them since they are soft and easily dented. And I would recommend against muscle passing them unless you don't mind having a warped coin.
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Hey Rob,

Check this out...

Gold Plated

May be a good starting point.

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Thanks for the help.

I do have a gold plated half (not real gold I am sure). But looking for some other stuff as well...thanks for the suggestion...I like that coin you suggested Mike...and the price is great.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
That's a Silver Eagle dollar. I like the look, and the price, but the size (40mm) is a little too large for me. I suppose it could make a nice, "walking liberty half grows and turns to gold" kind of thing?

Mike

BWind
View Profile
Loyal user
Honolulu, Hawaii
262 Posts

Profile of BWind
Folks,
I have some of those gold plated coins, they do not wear well, in fact if you carry them in your pocket with your other coins they will look awful very quickly; Be careful, some of the cheaper plated coins look like the gold coat is too viscous, masking some of the details and making the coin look unrealistic;
BWind
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
In a pinch you could buy gold paint and spray paint the silver coins. I would then spay a clear coat over them since gold paint tends to wear off easily.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
The coins that come with Alchemist's Dream and Alchemist's Phantasy are great quality...the plating is flawless.

The copper half is beautiful in that set...and the gold as well.

I will just have to keep my eye out for some more of those.
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Sassco has a very good replica of 20 dollar gold pieces.

Mike
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Mike,

Is that the coin that comes with the "Gold Rush" effect? I was scoping that out at the magic warehouse. If the coin is halfway decent, it's a steal for $15. Comes with 3 "golden" nuggets too, which I'm sure could be used for something as well.

I think it's a Sasco product, but I'm not sure.

Mike

mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Mike, I'm pretty sure that it is the same coin...but don't take my word for it. The coins I'm talking about come in to types, 1 shines...1 doesn't. I personally prefer the one that shines. I got 4 of them from sassco for around 20 bucks.

Mike
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
I just spent another small fortune on tools of the trade this morning (oh man did I overspend the magic budget this month!!), so unless I want girlfriend boot prints all over my a$$, I'm going to have to wait a safe amount of time to pick up that Gold Rush thing to check it out.

Maybe if I stop making her watch me practice for a week or two, she'll let this latest purchase go quietly? Smile

Best,

Mike

Delly
View Profile
New user
France
38 Posts

Profile of Delly
Sasco make a "Midas Spellbound-A beautiful move from Silver to Gold. $13.00"

http://www.a1magicalmedia.com/prod_templ......tid=2048

and here some gold plated quarter :

http://www.a1magicalmedia.com/prod_templ......tid=2045

hope it could help
---------------------
Smile Life IS Magic Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Gold Coins. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL