The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Evil Counterfeit Nickel Found (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Just discovered in a handful of small change given out at a hardware store in Honolulu, Hawaii, a coin that looks like the genuine US 5 cent piece, but is not. The evil minds behind this fake did a decent enough job on the portrait side. However, the back side of this so-called "2004" Nickel lacks the familiar realtor's view of Monticello, and instead bears an odd tribute to, of all things, the Louisiana Purchase. (they even added the provacative emblem of a hatchet crossed with some sort of pipe) This nefarious plot to cause confusion and panic amongst those of us who still perform such classics as the 21 cent trick, York's "Nickle Saver", and of course, "the sprinkler system on the front lawn" is well afoot and spreading.

Have these devices made their way to your area? Perhaps there's one in your pocket, right now? Not wanting to fall prey to this dastardly plot, I quickly inserted the one I got into the CD drive of my computer, and scanned it for spyware. So far, it's safe. But you never know....
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Yeah, along with the new quarters, $20's, etc, we now have these little gems. I've only seen one once. I suppose change is nice and all, especially for security features in paper money. For coins, I don't think it's all that necessary.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
full circle
View Profile
New user
Pascagoula, Ms.
53 Posts

Profile of full circle
Looks like a hatchet crossed with a golf club??? on the ones I`ve seen.....John
"A person who can laugh at himself, will never fail to be amused".
geemack
View Profile
Loyal user
Greg McNeil Peoria,Illinois
296 Posts

Profile of geemack
Yep they've started to appear in my pockets, too. A hatchet and a pipe... might be the makings of a patter story around implements of death.

And if that's not enough, there's another tail design on the nickel coming in the fall with a Lewis and Clark theme. Then in 2006 the nickel gets another upgrade to the Monticello tail design! Start hoarding your pre '04 nickels. Smile

Greg
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
John, the "golf club" was the first impression of the first person I showed it to, also. Perhaps the idea of whacking a putter with an axe has occurred to many golfers?

In related news, I noticed that because of the way the date is written around the circumference of the nickel, the "1999" looks a lot like "666!". Bizarrists should be saving those, too.

Point taken, Kevin. Who'd be silly enough to make counterfeit nickels?

BTW, I assume no liability for anyone actually trying to scan their coinage in their CD drives.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1296 Posts

Profile of DJG
I have had a few people mistake the new nickels for QUARTERS!!!
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
David, there's a trick in there somewhere, don't you think?
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
Oh my gosh, we'll call it Dishonest Jefferson!!! LOL, well talk about counterfit nickels and then it can grow to a medium size one and then a jumbo..... anyways, Gregory would kill me along with Chris. He he.
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Well...there goes my favorite coin gaff ever.....THE SQUIRTING NICKEL.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
I'm thinking we might be able to use this as a copper/silver gaff, only this one is nickle/quarter. Imagine, you're showing a new quarter and a nickle on your palm. Hands otherwise empty. You've already made a comment about the stateside of the quarter, to fix that image in the specator's mind.

Now, were you to apply one of the familiar procedures, you could apparently remove the quarter from your hand, actually showing the odd side of the nickle. Imagine the spectator's surprise when you clearly place what looks like the quarter in/on his hand, but when he opens the hand, he sees a nickle.
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Curtis,

I think "they" got to you man... you're talking like a new nickel backer (good play, yes?) instead of the steadfast warrior against this latest attempt to undermind the US economy and close-up magic. Are you unable to communicate freely? What do they have on you man??!!

Ok, seriously - That's a pretty cool idea (quarter / nickel thing). I'm going to try some variation of that the next night that I work - like a standard S&S switch, but more open and visual, and see what happens.

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Can't wait for the new penney...special edition... Lincoln is not on the chair. World's smallest illusion! The tiniest DeKolta chair vanish!
...to all the coins I've dropped here
deerbourne
View Profile
Regular user
Centennial, CO
174 Posts

Profile of deerbourne
I just wish they'd update the dollar so it would match the newer currency better for, uh...physical manipulations of the appearance of other bills.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I keep hoping the new currency would have braille, holograms and more convenient sizing. Optimist huh?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Evil Counterfeit Nickel Found (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL