The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Is there anyway to buy Bob K's U3 fly routine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Re: "Why did I have to be told I’ve done something wrong? If I am overreacting it’s because this is the second time this has happened here... "

The community is not always best at reading your sentiments and intentions from your words. Not even the mentalists can do this reliably (except Derren Brown perhaps) so ...

It is important to phrase your questions in a way that leads to answers you can accept. Another phrasing of what you seem to be asking might be:

Does Bob Kohler sell his U3fly routine separately, ie without the gaffs?

I'm surprised you did not get/report a slew of PMs about an under the table copy of the routine. That's doing pretty good in this community. If the basic trick were not <<<borrowed>>> I might actually be pleased. Smile

Let's take this as a win for the good guys today.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1296 Posts

Profile of DJG
<<The problem is part of the license for the trick insists that you NOT post a video of the thing, nor broadcast a video of the thing.>>

This is the part I don't understand. Please do not get me wrong. I abide and respect every condition of an effect I buy and/or use.

If I bought a prop or routine I own it. It should be mine to do as I please TV or otherwise. Unfortunately, having C.P. the "moves" are not as smooth as I'd like and thus a waste of my money.

If someone wants to see his intellectual property, how can he say. "only if you do not..."? Why sell it in the first place? It's not like there is a lot of profit in it?

That is like buying a video (and there was one on the market) that says, "this instructional video is for your information. You do not have the right nor permission to perform and of the effects contained within."

HUH???

PS Just for the record I did purchase this effect. I had to return it due to my "coordination" issue. Not that I couldn't find some way to modify it. I just didn't not have the time nor finances (or heart) to do so on such a fine gimmick.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

I suggest we direct that question to Mr. Kohler, whose intentions and product are the subject.

He tends to be straightforward about his positions.
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1296 Posts

Profile of DJG
Rhetorical questions. I have posed this question before. It's just my opinion, and will always remain my opinion. It is posed with the utmost respect towards all creators who choose to release creations with conditions.

Again it is not a bash of any type. I always honor, respect and abide by the conditions contained in any effect I wish to purchase.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Why not try to come up with your own routine for the gaffed set? You may come up with something better than the Kohler routine.

I had played around with 3 Fly ideas using the cutaway sh***l that comes with a Steve Dusheck trick. It's an English Penny but it was obvious that it could be a great secret weapon in a 3Fly type routine.

Here's a thought: Use the Lassen gaff along with a sh**led coin. You now effectively have 4 coins that can appear as 2, 3 or 4. You can have 2 here and 1 there become 1 here and 2 there in very visual and disarming ways. If you treat the effect as a visual coins across but not necessarily only at the fingertips, you open many doors for extremely clean and deceptive visual transpositions.

Put a flipper under the sh**l and the possibilities are immense. Todd makes a magnetic flipper into sh**l that can be flipped into the air as a single coin....

Mike
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

The use of ] in the original Ramsay routine was explored MANY years ago. This is where I got the basic display position.

Folks seem to be having trouble bridging the gap between a billiards routine using coins, and my coins across.

Let's make this plain.... look at a set of multiplying billiards, and think for a moment... the gaffs are very close here.

By holding the coins in a fan, you make the use of the ] very simple, and some of the billiards moves can be done with little fuss, since you can slide instead of roll the gaff into position. This too was considered WAY back when.

Have you tried the routine in the Mark Wilson course using coins held this way? The coins across aspect of the trick is pretty minor when one looks at the basic mechanics.

Okay folks, look in your billiards routines and see Dan's http://www.coinvanish.com for any missing pieces.

:)
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Who started all this Fingertip Coins Across nonsense anyway?

I hope he got the credit and compen$ation he deserved.

:)
Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Frank please lets not go down this road again - it always explodes and winds up making the thread get deleted.
Click to visit:
Cruise
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Cruise
This case I think Frank was trying just give a nod to jon for his work not start something.
ask harry why he dont want people to know he makes $200 a month for all these ads! thats like $4000 a month! oh but SHHH! harry isnt a real person!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

With any luck, there will be a small book out this year detailing my work on visual coin magic.
MrCyNic
View Profile
Loyal user
England
238 Posts

Profile of MrCyNic
Quote:
On 2004-06-04 08:09, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
With any luck, there will be a small book out this year detailing my work on visual coin magic.

Now, THAT's a piece of news I've been hoping for for a long time! Nice one, Jon.

Cheers,

Cy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Is there anyway to buy Bob K's U3 fly routine? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL