The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Vick Lawson cat (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2896 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I've been able to pick up a few of Vick's catalogs with different addresses. CT a couple of towns, Queens, and of course Ft Lauderdale. The most interesting catalog goes all the way back
to 1939, a 16 page catalog of professional magic. He went by the name of Lawson Vick and Co, Queens, NY. Nothing like his other catalogs, just a plain version.
mtoth2008
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of mtoth2008
I still have my original Vick Lawston catalog from the mid 1950s. It is still in its original mailing envelope addressed to me. I still have every item I purchased from him when I was a kid. This discussion brings back those treasured memories of saving all my allowance and money earned selling Christmas Cards door to door so I could buy mail order miracles. What a great time to be a kid!
Mike
George50
View Profile
New user
Lancaster CA
60 Posts

Profile of George50
My favorite catalog was Elbee but I also loved looking at Lawston's catalog! When got your order the envelope it was marked Top Secret.
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
295 Posts

Profile of davekilpatrick
It was Vick's catalog that got me into magic in the first place. It was 1971 and I was 11. I was home sick from school one day and it was my brother's catalog. I read it cover to cover that day. By 1973 I was doing public shows and I've been a part-time professional magician since then.

I even recall three of the tricks in my first order: The Human Hen, Comical Shirt Pulling Stunt, and Dizzy Dots.

In recent years, I've regretted losing track of that catalog back in the 70s after "graduating" to the catalogs from Abbott's (1973 #20), Tannen's (1973 #10), and Mak (#1 not sure of year). I didn't recall Vick's name or the company name, so I had no way to track it down. Only today, I bought a bunch of books from a retired magician which included the 1963 edition of Vick's catalog! Mine was a later edition, perhaps the 1968 version mentioned above. I haven't seen that catalog since the mid 1970s yet the drawings by Vick jumped out at me like I last saw them a month ago!

I also recall Top Hat magic out of Illinois, mentioned in an earlier post. Does anyone remember either the Jeffrey's Magic catalog, I think out of Arizona or the Scott's Magic catalog out of Money, NY?

Dave
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2896 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Dave I had a bunch of the same, I'm not sure but somewhere in the early 70's Vick sold the company. Heard a rumor there's a bunch of inventory of Vick's someone has. I have a catalog from 1939 from Lawson Vick and Co. He started in CT. I've purchased a few of his old catalogs from CT to FL. Top Hat too. Someone on this forum went to Top Hat and described visiting the store.
thebeav55
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of thebeav55
I'm sure I still have my catalog. I'm going to have to dig that out. Probably mid to late 60's. What a fabulous motivator.
I think that catalog spent a lot of time in my bathroom :>)......
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2896 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Just saw that Lybrary.com has a Vic Lawson catalog in PDF form for cheap.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2896 Posts

Profile of Tom G
My bad.... It's NOT a catalog, but a PDF of the three free tricks Vick sent with the catalog...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Vick Lawson cat (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL