The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Nearly Normal Program (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
This seems the year for interesting programs.

Yesterday I shared at a "Buddhist Picnic".

Quite a few people at the picnic were also Christians.

I mixed a bit of Gospel Magic and things associated

with Buddhism.

When I did Professors Nightmare, I talked about

"The Middle Path" as the ropes became the same size.

When a trick "didn't work", I quickly went into the
Serenity Prayer".

Speaking of the Serenity Prayer,

Next month I will be one of the Plenary Presenters at

a conference called"

Transforming Lives Through Spirituality, Faith and Addiction Recovery.

All faiths will be represented.

Nigel and I are very excited, humbled and scared about this event.

Please Pray for us.

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Harris,

I have resisted responding as I wasn't quite sure what to say. And I really don't intend to offend you, and absolutley would never question your faith. I also do not wish to take this topic into an area that is void of talk about magic. But now I must ask some questions:

I certainly admire your willingness to engage other religions. I do so on a regular basis too, from Wiccan Priests to Athiests, Agnostics, Antagonists, and many Eastern religions, (I live in a culterally diverse area near a University) but never by illustrating through magic that their way of thinking is just another way to the Truth.

I hope that you accept this question in the sincere and honest way I intend it to be asked; but as a Christian, how do you mix Gospel magic and things associated with Buddhism )or other religions) and keep from diluting the Gospel? Your Middle Path example is interesting, but in God's Word, there is a narrow way that leads to Him, and a Wide road that leads to destruction. Talking about a Middle Path is sure not to offend the Buddhists, but is it really what you beleive?

Please do not be offended by my questions. My intent is understanding. I may be missing an opportunity to reach others because I do not see how this approach can keep The Word of God, the immutable Truth from being diluted. Is this a variation of Paul's approach when talking to the Greeks about the "unknown God" they worshipped? Or is it intended to be an extension of friendship evangelism that allows you and them to find common ground and respect so that your life models your beliefs in a compelling way?

Thanks in advance for any clarification you wish to provide.

BTW, I love using the Professor's Nightmare too.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
BroDavid,

Thanks for taking the time to think, pray and then to write.

I believe it is important not only to share with fellow Christians but to others as well.

In fact that is part of my mission.

Friendship is very important.

In fact for some we may be the only "bible" that people see.

As far as your question about Paul, I am not sure.

I will ask my beloved wife Annie, she has much more knowledge about the bible than I do.

In the past I have expressed interest in becoming a minister. Some people say that my nearly normal programs do just that.

"The foolish only laugh, while the wise understand",

C.L.

My friend Don tells me that he would rather see, than hear a sermon.

Of course I would rather,(and need) both.

We all have gifts and a need to share them in our unique ways.

There was no offense taken. Even for those that may judge my ways, that is between themselves and the Lord.

Someone once said, when criticized for their approach to sharing, I have no time for criticism. On the other hand I think it is important for me to listen to all input.

Yes I use Professors Nitemare in many ways.

Sometimes I use it after Nigel sings,

Don't Laugh at Me....

with lyrics like....

In Gods Eyes we are all the same,

Some day we will all have perfect wings....

May God bless you in deed,
Expand your territory......

In His Name,

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
So Harris, would you say your style is more "spiritual" in message, rather than "gospel" in message? This type of performer would be considered to be more "warm fuzzies", rather than "evangelical."

Example - A performer who doesn't use verses to back up their messages. A performer who uses general messages, almost more self-esteem and very general in talking about God (so as not to offend). Almost more "Chicken Soup for the Soul" style.

Also, do you tell people that when they die, everyone goes to heaven? Do you believe that yourself? Do you personally believe people become angels when they die? (Reference to your comment about "...someday we will all have perfect wings...") Or is that an analogy?

- Donald.

P.S. The reference to Paul is from Acts 17:16-34. I'd encourage you to read the passage for yourself, to understand what David asked you.

I find it really interesting that someone would be interested in becoming a minister, who doesn't really study / know their Bible. (That is not meant as a slam... sorry it came out that way. I'm just trying to understand. Smile )
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Hi Gr8

My interest in becoming a minister was about 25 years ago.

My presentations are more in the nature of self revealing ways that Jesus has helped me.

Recently I heard someone say that they value this type of testimony. They said some people feel ministers are sort of professional salespeople, while people that give testimony are more like satisfied customers.

The wing reference comes from a song from the 60's and is part of a program called operation respect.

Re: Acts 17:16-34

Thank you. It is worth posting here.

"While Paul was waiting for them in Athens, he was greatly distressed to see that the city was full of idols. 17So he reasoned in the synagogue with the Jews and the God-fearing Greeks, as well as in the marketplace day by day with those who happened to be there. 18A group of Epicurean and Stoic philosophers began to dispute with him. Some of them asked, "What is this babbler trying to say?" Others remarked, "He seems to be advocating foreign gods." They said this because Paul was preaching the good news about Jesus and the resurrection. 19Then they took him and brought him to a meeting of the Areopagus, where they said to him, "May we know what this new teaching is that you are presenting? 20You are bringing some strange ideas to our ears, and we want to know what they mean." 21(All the Athenians and the foreigners who lived there spent their time doing nothing but talking about and listening to the latest ideas.)
22Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: "Men of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. 23For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription:|sc TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. Now what you worship as something unknown I am going to proclaim to you.
24"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. 25And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else. 26From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. 27God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. 28'For in him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.'
29"Therefore since we are God's offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone--an image made by man's design and skill. 30In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. 31For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising him from the dead."
32When they heard about the resurrection of the dead, some of them sneered, but others said, "We want to hear you again on this subject." 33At that, Paul left the Council. 34A few men became followers of Paul and believed. Among them was Dionysius, a member of the Areopagus, also a woman named Damaris, and a number of others."

Thanks for trying to understand.

My testimony and programs are not like an attorney trying to argue before a jury.

I just witness the truth, as it has appeared in my life.

Each time I play amazing grace on my harmonica and Nigel sings the words, I remember and share, What it was like before, what led me to my awakening and how it is like now.

It is more important to understand than be understood,
to love rather than love.....by dying one finds eternal life....

Nigel also sings my version of the prayer of Francisi(sic) We sing it to the tune of
Take me out to the Ball Game.

It is important to get people to understand and believe in Jesus with all of their heart.

The important thing is to do things always that God Blesses.

This is a radical change from my earlier Give to Me Attitude.

It is great to get up and each day to say,

Good Morning God.

That sure beats my younger days, when I said,(excuse the expression)

Good God, it's morning.

Re: Self Esteem

That is a nice concept, but it is action and specifics that get things changed.

An example is I thought about learning to read music and play piano for many years.

Thinking and praying about it was a start.

Getting books and help from those that know music was the next. Getting a nearly normal piano came next.
(My nearly normal piano is called a melodica. Sort of a cross between a wind instrument and a piano keyboard)

Good thing I have a lot of hot air.(mini lol)

Remember "it is always darkest before the fun."
Chonda Pierce

I can learn a lot from you who are more knowledgeable in the scriptures.

Last year after reading the 10th of the Left Behind Series, I thought, hmm it has been a long time since I have read the bible.

Now I like to go to the new as well as the old testament. I believe Jesus said something like, I came not to break but to fulfill the law.

Perhaps someone will be kind enough to post the exact quote.

Smile, Jesus loves YOU!

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Thanks for your explanation Harris!

This looks like the verse you referenced.

NIV Mathew 5:17
Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Thanks to both of you for your wise council.

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Nearly Normal Program (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL