The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Gibeciere (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
I do leatherwork and I'm thinking about making a gibeciere (a large leather pouch - traditionally a hunting bag used by conjurers) that hangs off the belt for magic (I do a certain amount of Renfaire work and it'd fit in so easily). I'm trying to put leather pockets inside and a hidden flap to ditch things near the strap and the theory is that it'll be about twice the volume of a large pocket with separate areas for cards etc.

I think it's probably a mistake to put in too much as one might be tempted to do. Has anyone made anything similar and was it a success?
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I use one for my MediaevalRenaissance performances and even sometimes for walkaround as I have gotten very use to working with it. It is of the ringed variety and it hangs off of my right side. I use it as one would a pocket as these are missing from most period attire. It is leather with a fabric interior which has pockets for my TT a dye tube, coins, small silk and my favorite paddle trick. The opening is built around a wooden hoop that I made as I couldn't find one that would comfortabley accomodate a hand palming an egg.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
If you are in the area of a Cellini Lecture, check it out. His wife is wearing his old costume including a pouch similar to the one you describe.

Let us know how it turns out.

Hazzah!

Harris Smile
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I’ve used a gibeciere for years. I have actually gone through a couple of different ones. I have made them from heavy upholstery material (a tapestry pattern) and in leather.

The one I am presently using is black calf leather. The bag itself is approximately 16 inches by 9 inches by 4 inches. It is divided inside into two large pockets. However the divider is an open frame affair that allows me access to either side via its opposite side.

Inside the right pouch pocket I have a double pocket (one sewn on top of another). The backmost pocket holds a deck of cards and the front most of the pair holds a packet trick. The left side pouch has two pockets built in side by side. One pocket is large enough for a deck of cards, wallet, or bag of coins; the other designed to hold a sharpie pen, thumb tip, scissors, or wand.

I have a large pocket sewn across the outside back of the gibeciere. I keep rope in this pocket.

There are leather loops on the belt on either side of the pouches proper. I tie my rings to one loop and a couple of handkerchiefs to the other. I also have a nice dagger in a sheaf that is carried on the belt.

I have a couple of small slits cut in the belt. They fit over round nail heads on my street table allowing me to hand the gibeciere across the back of the table and use it as a servante.

It is invaluable when in period costume and when working the streets.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
Hi everyone,
thanks for your comments; they have been so helpful. It's nice to know that quite a few people use them as the only magician I knew about with them was Gazzo.

I think I'm ready to start on it from this information on size and layout. I'll probably shoot for reasonably large sized one on belt hooks (with the clips hidden, so it looks period) and the hidden pocket behind the flap and (in the main pocket) five or six holders for thimbles, cards, coins and maybe a TT. It's really great to have a idea of what most people put in them and more importantly what works for seasoned Renfaire workers. Does anyone tend to work with one on each side like pockets?
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Gibeciere (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL