The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Not sure what to do with this find/old collection? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ctmwilson
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of ctmwilson
Not sure if this is the right place for questions, but I picked up a box of pretty old Magic items recently. I was donating a bunch of stuff at a Goodwill and I saw an old box out of the corner of my eye while I was talking to the kid who was going through my stuff. I asked him if I could have the box for five bucks, and he said, "sure". I got home and found it was full of old magic items, most of which were still in the original boxes with instructions. There was also a pack of "Book Plates" in a very old tin. One was metallic red and gold, inscribed with "McGill University Montreal", and the name "GERALD W. HALPENNY", so my guess is this was his collection. I 'Googled' the name, which wasn't hard to find. Dr. Gerald W. Halpenny was President of the Canadian Medical Association, got his M.D. in 1934, etc.. Anyway, I thought about selling it, but would have no idea what the value of these items are in their original boxes. There is an "Electric Bow Tie-A FRANCO PRODUCT" (with a VERY old battery), "VANISHER-AN ENARDOE PRODUCT", "Vanishing Coin in Glass", cups and ball set, "Adams' Jiffy Coin Trick copyright 1940", "Adams' Chinese Bottle", "Adams' Nickel to Penny to Dime" set (I've never seen machined buffalo nickel, wheat-leaf pennies, one with a mercury dime face on the flip side (for Dime and Penny?), "Rattle-Bars", "DeLand's Automatic Playing Cards" with part of a US. stamp that covered the box opening, "12" Color Changing Handkerchief", and a bunch more items that would take a lot of space to list here. I've been doing close-up magic as a hobby for 12 years now, but I've never seen things like this. I can send pics if anyone has any thoughts or ideas. Thanks.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Donate these to your local magic club for their raffle.
ctmwilson
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of ctmwilson
Good idea, they're probably the most likely ones to take good care of these things.
Thanks jay!

-Don't Blink Smile
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
Hmmm... McGill University. Interesting magical coincidence-

http://www.archives.mcgill.ca/reference/ref_reffaqs.htm#F
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
IIRC...The late JOHN B00TH, was a graduate of McGill.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
tommymcc84
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of tommymcc84
Sounds like a great find! I agree with Jay, I'm sure the local magic club would really appreciate it all Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Not sure what to do with this find/old collection? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL