The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » Women vs Men (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2014, Anatole wrote:

It's like that in many professions. Say the word "doctor" and the first image that pops into most peoples' minds is a male doctor.

I actually think of 13 different people before I think of either.
Reality is a real killjoy.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
In reading Dick Oslund's new book I thought, "Could a woman have done this?" Our culture and treatment of woman would never have allowed it even if the audience would have accepted it.

Today I wonder if any person would be willing to work that hard - either gender. Would today's student audience accept it?

Perhaps a female performer would be respected more in high school settings, but just getting student to shut off cell phones could make it impossible anyway.

My point is that magic is largely determined by the expectations of the audience. Can a woman meet that better than a man?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Personally a female magician will get my attention quicker than a male magician simply because I see fewer female magicians. There does seem to be some reason for women not becoming magicians. Wish there were more.
ThunderSqueak
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ThunderSqueak
This conversation reminds me of one I had a long time ago in my profession. I am an engineer who used to run a repair shop. Back then I had a handful of male techs working for me. We got into an argument over how men and women are perceived in the tech industry so I made a wager. I told them that the next client who comes through the door, let me talk to them for 15 minutes and answer their questions, then step out but don't engage. Act like you are doing something else, perhaps clean the cabinets or something. Also they were told to not answer questions, and to keep letting me answer.

They did just that, and even though I was answering everything the person asked, and was the boss as well as the most educated person there, invariably people would turn from me and begin talking to one of the guys... even though the guys wouldn't answer and I would keep answering the questions, the person would never turn back towards me to continue talking. One of my employees even turned back towards me and kept referring the client to me for answers. Both male and female clients have this behavior.

People would assume I was the secretary. I had one older woman actually say as I walked out of my office to respond to a request for help from one of the newer employees, “ This guy is knows his stuff, how long before you learn as much as him?” I had not met this person before, and as soon as she said that the tech spoke up and let her know that he was my apprentice.

I won the wager, and the guys learned something.

It is something in our culture, how gender is perceived. It will be a long time before those boundaries are changed. I learned that I have to be at least 3 times better at my job than those around me in order to stand out.

This comic has some serious truth in it. I am sure this also applies to the profession of magic.

danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
I think some of the posts in this thread demonstrate that people see female magicians differently than male magicians. That might not mean that a female magician discerns a palpable difference during performances, though I will tell you that I am aware of the need to get women spectators "on my side" early on, which is something that never even occurs to male magicians.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I have had to make nice with the Ladies before starting a performance. Not too often but the tension can be felt at times.

Guys get push back from other Guys who perceive them as a threat. I think it is the same sort of thing.

Sometimes Male Magicians have to win Women over to even watch Magic though. This may be because some Women have run into boorish Magicians in the past. Tricks like the Ding Dong Trick and TT in the Ear etc... have done a lot towards making some Women dislike "Magic" (for good reason).

It is all about how the performance is framed and our interpersonal relationship is viewed.

Dana is right, it is up to us to set the tone before we start.

-Mary Mowder
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
[quote]On Jun 19, 2015, randirain wrote:

Now to edit what Bill said....
You have to make yourself stand out as a performer.
You take whatever your advantages are, and use them to your advantage.
Everybody does things differently.
Everybody is different and you must find your artistic lines.

What most people who want to do stand up have to do is, create something worth watching.
They have schools for that.

People need to be who they are and not bow to stereotypes. Some people don't feel "sexy", and you know what, that's okay. More power to you!
I believe it was Max Maven who said, "the audience doesn't have to like you, they just have to find you interesting."
That is your job, to be interesting. Whether that means playing good housewife from the 50's to get Bill off, or if it means flipping the coin and putting people on edge. It's not what someone else tells you, it's what you say, and never forget it.

A gracious reply and excellent re-framing.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Boys have dolls too.......we just call them "action-figures"
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
Quote:
On May 14, 2014, Vangel wrote:
If I'm thinking about the present age, I would say no. The only difference in my opinion is the charm to the opposing genders (generally). It HIGHLY depends on demographics/culture but where I come from, most general public just want to see magic as magic.

Hint: I don't think I can ever look as good as you do in a photo !
That's a big difference Smile
Long Island,

New York
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » Women vs Men (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL