The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Who sells the higest quality silks? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
AndreOng1
View Profile
Regular user
SIngapore
110 Posts

Profile of AndreOng1
Where is the best place to buy Japanese silk?
I am currently using korean made. How does it compare to Japnese?
Rice
View Profile
Regular user
Ruth Rice Crone
106 Posts

Profile of Rice
Silk King Studios only sells silks made in Japan.
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Profile of indomagic
My vote for Japanese silk too...
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
LOL --- For years my wife did not know that we import silk from China to Alabama, then ship it to Singapore. From there it goes to Japan to become Japanese silk. On page 8 Harold Rice tells you that China silk is the best. (Today it is even better because of the good 2mm hems.) He did not tell you that he could not get it back then. Things have changed since the 1980s.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Does anyone make polka dot silks maybe 30" square, similar to paul potassy sympathetic silks,
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Paul Potassy Sympathetic Silks, that silk or ladies dress material is usually only available from very high end fabric stores. I doubt you will find it already hemmed.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2016, Rice wrote:
Silk King Studios only sells silks made in Japan.

And they are fantastic! The selection of colors of their Spectrum Silks cannot be beat.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Japanese silk has changed over the years. At one time, there were four major silk manufacturers in Japan. When I last checked, there was only one and why imported the silk cocoons from China. So I guess it is Japanese/China silk.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Be aware that Momme is only a measure of MASS and NOT QUALITY. Higher momme can mean looser weave to add mass. That has its own set of problems.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Silk King Studios have fantastic silks. They are more expensive, but you get what you pay for and you really want the silks to look good from stage.

As a side note, if you visit the Henry Ford Greenfield Village in Dearborn Michigan (which I recommend to everyone!) they have a working silk loom that they demonstrate and explain the process of weaving silk. Henry Ford wanted to skip the importing stage and make his own silk, but the silk worms only eat Mulberry leaves and they couldn't grow enough fast enough in Michigan to keep them fed! Poor silk worms gets boiled alive in the process.... but such is the circle of life.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Who sells the higest quality silks? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL