The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Performance Experience (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RoryHenderson
View Profile
New user
Bradford, West Yorkshire
75 Posts

Profile of RoryHenderson
Hello!
I have sent a good few years now learning effects, etc and have performed quite a lot for friends and family. Wanting to grow as a performer, do you have any tips for getting performance experience? I have been working on lots of mentalism, so I don't know if street performance is always appropriate (please, please correct me if you think I'm wrong).
Thanks!
RH
If a man does not keep pace with his companions
Perhaps it is because he hears the beat of a different drummer
Let him step to the music he hears
However measured or far away
-Henry David Thoreau
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Rory,
Welcome to The Magic Café.
There are plenty of opportunities to get performance experience. Just keep your eyes open for fund raisers, independent or assited living facilities, small town festivals, volunteer fire department carnivals. I often volunteer my time for fund raisers where money is being raised for a medical condition. In the states we have plenty of car cruises where people gather. You could set up a table or just perform strolling magic. Just get permission from the organizers. Think outside thd box and as I said look for opportunities where you feel people would enjoy what you have to offer. Have fun.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
RoryHenderson
View Profile
New user
Bradford, West Yorkshire
75 Posts

Profile of RoryHenderson
Cheers!
-Henry David Thoreau
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2016, RoryHenderson wrote:
Hello!
I have sent a good few years now learning effects, etc and have performed quite a lot for friends and family. Wanting to grow as a performer, do you have any tips for getting performance experience? I have been working on lots of mentalism, so I don't know if street performance is always appropriate (please, please correct me if you think I'm wrong).
Thanks!
RH

Welcome to our 'motley' crew!

May I help clarify a term! The EFFECT is what the spectator SEES, or THINKS THAT HE SEES. So, you can't really LEARN AN EFFECT. You CAN learn METHODS or SECRETS.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
P.S.: DavidPaul$ has given you some good ideas about finding opportunities to perform.

IMHO, I'm not sure that, at your age, you will find it easy to present any sort of mental tricks.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
RoryHenderson
View Profile
New user
Bradford, West Yorkshire
75 Posts

Profile of RoryHenderson
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2016, RoryHenderson wrote:
Hello!
Thanks!
RH

Welcome to our 'motley' crew!

May I help clarify a term! The EFFECT is what the spectator SEES, or THINKS THAT HE SEES. So, you can't really LEARN AN EFFECT. You CAN learn METHODS or SECRETS.

Sorry! And thank you very much.
-Henry David Thoreau
RoryHenderson
View Profile
New user
Bradford, West Yorkshire
75 Posts

Profile of RoryHenderson
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:
P.S.: DavidPaul$ has given you some good ideas about finding opportunities to perform.

IMHO, I'm not sure that, at your age, you will find it easy to present any sort of mental tricks.

I have found a love of Mentalism, but would it be of your opinion that I should stay away from it?
-Henry David Thoreau
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
No, don't say away from it, find a way to present it. It is tuff if you are doing none prop mentalism. You have nothing physical to draw interest from the onlookers. If you have mental effects using keys, coins, bills, anything more then a pencil, you will have something they can look at. That can get you started, and then go into your other mental effects. So a lot of what you are referring to as Mentalism, needs more clarification.

You said you have been doing it for family and friends, what feedback are you getting, can they refer you to places and organizations to perform. This will at least get you started.

Of course, much depends on if you have put together a sold act or set for strolling close up. Do you have scripted out what you are going to say with each effect. Are the trick all different from a viewing audience perspective.

Keep at it and get out there, you have to circulate to percolate, as the say in the sales world. Exposure, met people and sale yourself. Tell them what you do and ask if they could use your services.
jeffAwesome
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of jeffAwesome
Mentalism is very hard work. You have to be extremely entertaining because you are the focus not the props, which is how most magic should be too, but I digress.

Anyway if you enjoy mentalism possibly check out the work of Peter Turner. He has some very powerful techniques... and loads of advice on being entertaining. In one of his dvd's he mentions going out with a camera even if it isn't on record. It will give you reason to approach people even if it is just for flight time.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
You are never too young to perform. I would suggest you determine what sort of mentalism performer you want to be. Watch different types and then come up with your own. Maybe you have already done that, but, for example, John Archer does comedy mentalism. Very effective!

kJ
ULockJustice
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbus, OH
201 Posts

Profile of ULockJustice
Sounds like you just need flight time. The best way to grow as a performer is to perform often, record yourself, and then watch the recording so you can self critique. Start small with one or two effects. Find open mic nights and ask the host if you can perform on their show. (This advice is assuming you are doing some sort of parlor or cabaret size act. I only infer that since you said mentalism.) Put together 5 minutes and hit as many open mics as you can. Poetry, Music, and Comedy open mics are usually receptive to magicians.

If you are wanting to improve your close up, ask around at various restaurants and Cafés to see if you can get a regular gig table hopping.

You are probably still in the process of finding your voice as a performer. Your voice is your point of view, your tone, your presentation, how the audience perceives the human entertaining them. The only way to find your voice is to wade in and perform as often as possible.

Every act has to start somewhere. Derren Brown didn't wake up and suddenly produce Miracle. He started as a hypnotist, and moved on to being a card magician, and then a mental card magician, and then a mentalist, and on to whatever the heck he is now. But that all came from seeking out performance opportunities. I think you have the boyscouts over there. Put together a program and ask troupes if you can perform for them. Check with your local small business groups, they might have a meeting that needs some light entertainment. I end up opening for a lot of bands. Maybe you have friends who need an opening act.
This is the profile of Comedian + Magician Erik Tait. A self-promoting sleight of hand artist who thinks he is the cat's meow.

PM for beard tips.
javlin5
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of javlin5
I enjoy performing at Nursing homes. Easy to book. Fun for the residents, and many of them even pay a little money.

Just perform to everyone you can.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Performance Experience (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL