The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Which is Best? SAM or IBM? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
375 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
I know the answer probably is both, but is it more like Chicken or Fish or Ford or Chevy? I don't know, that's why I'm asking..i was a member of SAM for years, I moved to North Carolina from Maryland and found the closest club to me was an IBM ring (#199 in Raleigh) so I thought it would be best/serve me better... if I became a member of IBM, which I did....Sooo, I'm guessing the question may be moot at this point Yes?
donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
263 Posts

Profile of donny
"Ask not what you can GET from your country..."
It's not their senses that mislead, it's their assumptions.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Both have monthly magazines, both have local clubs in most areas, both have annual conventions. I don't know if there really is a "best" regarding these two organizations. A lot may depend on the membership of these clubs. Some are very interactive and others are the typical clique groups. I personally have belonged to both org for over 50 years and have gotten benefit from both.
Where the magic begins
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
548 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
If you go by the magazine, there is only one clear choice.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2016, Ba Ba Booey wrote:

You must mean "Genii" Smile

It all depends on your point of view. Neither the Linking Ring nor MUM is the magazine they used to be.
Where the magic begins
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
True, The Linking Ring nor the MUM are what they used to be.

But for me, MUM is a way better published magazine without all of the fluff that TLR has in it. More color, better columns, better photographs, and frankly a better editor and publisher.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
375 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
As the original poster...It sounds like the choice is more personal choice than anything else!!! like choosing between Ford and Chevy.
blurrylines
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of blurrylines
Can someone be a member of both?
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2016, blurrylines wrote:
Can someone be a member of both?

Yes! I am a member of both and I also subscribe to GENII and MAGIC.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
M. Tesla
View Profile
Regular user
Coral Springs, Florida
154 Posts

Profile of M. Tesla
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2016, Dave Scribner wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2016, Ba Ba Booey wrote:

You must mean "Genii" Smile

It all depends on your point of view. Neither the Linking Ring nor MUM is the magazine they used to be.

Wow, did you say a mouthful...they're both disappointing and I'm finding Genii isn't close to what it used to be under the Larson's...I was just about to subscribe to MAGIC, but I guess that's a no-go now...trying to figure out if I can afford that last 25 issues special...
While the amount of water has remained static, the amount of Tequila and Triple Sec available for making Margaritas has expanded enormously. So you see, we have made progress after all. ~Anonymous
Driften
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Driften
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2016, Rodney Palmer wrote:
True, The Linking Ring nor the MUM are what they used to be.

But for me, MUM is a way better published magazine without all of the fluff that TLR has in it. More color, better columns, better photographs, and frankly a better editor and publisher.

Rodney

I am now a member now of both groups. MUM is a way better published magazine of the two. So if you are doing to more for reading about magic SAM is a little better....
KendallP
View Profile
New user
South Texas
1 Post

Profile of KendallP
Tesla II - ".I was just about to subscribe to MAGIC, but I guess that's a no-go now...trying to figure out if I can afford that last 25 issues special..."

Not an "issue" any more since the MAGIC Legacy project was canceled. Not enough new subscribers. I was a charter subscriber to MAGIC bc I had subscribed to Inside Magic Newsletter before.

I think IBM and SAM are both good organizations. If you can afford it, it might be worth belonging to both.

KP
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Which is Best? SAM or IBM? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL