The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Portable table suggestions (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1161 Posts

Profile of Corbett
Below is the Ammar table I referenced in my earlier post. Not difficult to build, and looks great.

Click here to view attached image.
Phil Tawa
View Profile
Regular user
Mass.
103 Posts

Profile of Phil Tawa
I have used a Lefler table for over ten yrs. now. The same one. For my situations I like the small one. It's good for street to stage and the woven material used for the covering keeps it looking brand new!!!
MagicWGH
View Profile
Regular user
Covington, LA
165 Posts

Profile of MagicWGH
Try http://www.instand.com These are portable laptop/court reporter tables. I came across them when I saw a traveling lecture trying to sell them for double what they really cost. I bought one and have used it for YEARS. They are adjustable and even have a way to tilt them so that your audiences can see table work.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Well, I'm back, having gone through quite a few options. Here's what I have to report:

The Pearl Trap Table is impressive, particularly for the price....large surface with a sleight edge, so that things stay-put! Extremely sturdy, with collapsible legs. One negative - it is quite heavy...not exactly something you can toss in a small case. In fact the table top is quite large and hefty!

On the opposite side of things, I picked up a Mikame Harbin-style folding wooden table. Looks great on stage, but is not steady at all. I used it for a stage piece to hold 3 books, and that was about the maximum I would use it for.

Finally, I just picked up a couple of bazar de magia "magicians Tables" from Hocus Pocus, and they're quite nice (great price as well as HP had a 35% off promotion, bringing them down from just under $200 to around $130 each)). Simple folding stand, that's reasonably sturdy, and a beautiful stained wood, cushioned surface, table top, that looks quite elegant. I believe these will become the workhorses, as they pack quite well, and are fairly sturdy.

Cheers,

e
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of elimagic
The simple fold up table described in mark wilsons complete corse in magic are very strong, fold flat, and a breeze to make, I made two for under 60 dollars
robertmichaels
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of robertmichaels
I have to second the Eureka stand. The base attachment was wobbly, this was just a manufacturing flaw that was missed. A simple sauder fixed it. I made a table top out of light weight sturdy wood, which I attacked some pleather to. I bought a yard of the kind of material used on boat seats at a fabric store, its soft an water proof
iluzjonista
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of iluzjonista
I would like to make my own table by connecting table top with tripod but I have no idea how to connect that two parts. Most of the tripods have thread 6 mm (1/4 inch) in diameter and I can't find the right connector for it on internet. Could you suggest some sources?
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
I sent you a PM regarding this
MagicMattMan
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
741 Posts

Profile of MagicMattMan
My personal favorite & what I currently use:http://www.creativemagic.net/CMtable.htm

A second favorite:http://www.subdividedstudios.com/Briefcase_Tables.html
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not, none will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."Hebrews 13:2
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
A DEPRESSION raised kid, throws NOTHING AWAY! Of course, associating with Jay Marshall didn't help!. About 30 + years ago, I was cleaning out a box full of miscellaneous memorabilia. I picked up a copy of an old GENII (early '40s--I think, 1941) Idly flipping through the pages (no! it wasn't printed on papyrus!) my eyes were caught by a half page ad from Roger Montandon, an Oklahoma dealer. Roger's ad was for a "new idea" in tables. He offered for a few dollars a table top (about 15" square) with no "tripod"!!! Roger's "table" had a simple hardware "clamp" that affixed it to the back of almost any straight chair. It was simple, sturdy, and weighed perhaps a pound, and, packed almost flat! I said to myself, "What a clever idea!". But, the ad was about 40 years old. Montandon had been out of business for many years.

Anyway, I hadn't needed a table top for years. I worked out of a prop case, and, only used two table top props (DISECTO--arm chopper, and INERTIA--eggs, tray and glasses, juggling bit). They were only used on "special occasions--60 minute family shows, and, an occasional "special" high school or college date. Table top props aren't practical in school shows with kids seated on chairs, and, no elevated platform. (sight lines)

Then a few weeks later, browsing in a thrift shop, I FOUND ONE! Well, not really. I found a drive in restaurant tray that was used in the '40s. It "hooked" to the car door, and supported drinks, sandwiches, etc. It was a metal tray that had an easily adjustable support brace. I realized that it could, like Montandon's table, hook to any straight chair! The thrift shop price was $1.00! As the old Svengali deck pitchman used to say: "I nearly tore my underwear, getting out my wallet!"

I had been carrying the props in two small cases. One, a salesman's catalog case ($3.00 at a yard sale!) and, another small case (found in a thrift store--$1.00) which was designed for a hair dresser who made house calls. I had been using a drummer's cymbal stand with a masonite top that was flanged to attach to a 3/8" pipe nipple that fit in the top of the cymbal stand. I could save at least 5 lbs! The prop list for the school, asked for a couple of folding or straight chairs. The car hop tray could support the hair dresser case, and, the catalog case would sit on the chair seat! Matching gold slip covers would flash the cases!

I red lighted the cymbal stand, and, I had about 5 lbs less to carry! I used the car hop tray for several seasons. (it carried in the catalog case.) More and more schools didn't read the prop list. I had to wait for the chairs, which sometimes slowed my "4 minute set up". So, I reluctantly changed to one prop case, and a waiters tray jack.

I still have the car hop tray, plus, its "brother". (I found another, a year of two later!) Now, retired, and not on a schedule, I just may return to my car hop tray. (Besides, I now have a spare!)

I had tried a Merv Taylor Suitcase Table in the early '70s. It looked great, but, filled with the props (about 20 lbs) it weighed about 45lbs. After two seasons, I red lighted it. (I should have, after the first season!)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2016, iluzjonista wrote:
I would like to make my own table by connecting table top with tripod but I have no idea how to connect that two parts. Most of the tripods have thread 6 mm (1/4 inch) in diameter and I can't find the right connector for it on internet. Could you suggest some sources?

Check out an "old fashioned" hardware, or plumbing shop. Ask for a 1/4" IPS (iron pipe size) floor flange. Should cost about $5.00 max.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
Check-'my new bag'-'where to put it all-- Portable table idea posted Mar.14,2016 -- to lazy(toooo old -L-O-L ) to repeat it here. or go to 'search'- --user name 'russo' and search-- Ralph(russo)Rousseau-- I'm usually in the 'ChristianMagicians' forum(Gospel Magicians) R.
The Wacky Wizard
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of The Wacky Wizard
In-Stand. Very light and compact. It's what I use.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I like the In-Stand also for light to medium duty, Chop cup, display table etc.. If you want to do cups and balls or that kind of thing you need a sturdy table support
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Portable table suggestions (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL