The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Just a single book (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Corrado
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Corrado
Hello everyone, I hope this is the right place. I would like to gather views on this subject: if you could have or buy exclusively ONE book, what would it be? Some limitations: Book on close-up magic, possibly containing effects without gimmick or large preparations, with tips, advices, techniques. One of those books that studied and practiced can give you the chance, without knowing more, to perform a show just with its content.
A book that ranges, not only focused on a branch of magic, which presents effects and techniques with cards, coins, everyday objects, etc. .
Just a single book, the only you would like to know if there were no other books. Practical effects, impact, but also with lessons about the timing, the misdirection, the management of the audience, psychology, in short, a complete book, that you would like as the only study tool about close up magic!

Thanks so much

P.S. Sorry for my english, I hope there are not too many errors
Chuck Finley
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of Chuck Finley
That's really simple for me. The Star of Magic book is the one. It has a mixture of magic in it from all the greats and the effects still play well to this day. I love and use stuff from it all the time.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
I would recommend the Magic Book written by Harry Lorayne. Great info on why and how to.

Bruce
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Lancashire, England
360 Posts

Profile of SleightlyChris
John Carney's Book of Secrets.

Not only you'll get a mix of wonderful parlour and close up effects, but his essays are fantastic. You'll grow not only technically but theatrically and creatively.

Do yourself a favor and read & study John Carney's books and DVDs.
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
Vernon's Book of Magic
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I second Carneys work
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
I have to agree with Chris.
"The Book of Secrets" would be my choice.
"But there isn't a door"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Greater Magic
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
If you were looking to entertain with magic, My Best
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2016, Corrado wrote:
Hello everyone, I hope this is the right place. I would like to gather views on this subject: if you could have or buy exclusively ONE book, what would it be? Some limitations: Book on close-up magic, possibly containing effects without gimmick or large preparations, with tips, advices, techniques. One of those books that studied and practiced can give you the chance, without knowing more, to perform a show just with its content.
A book that ranges, not only focused on a branch of magic, which presents effects and techniques with cards, coins, everyday objects, etc. .
Just a single book, the only you would like to know if there were no other books. Practical effects, impact, but also with lessons about the timing, the misdirection, the management of the audience, psychology, in short, a complete book, that you would like as the only study tool about close up magic!

Thanks so much
.S. Sorry for my english, I hope there are not too many errors

Your English (i.e. AMERICAN English) is OK. Here comes the "but":

You are asking a hypothetical question.

THERE AINT NO SUCH BOOK!

All those who have contributed a suggestion (many of whom are friends of mine) are contributing from THEIR POINT OF VIEW! I agree with all those above! BUT, there aint no such book as you describe!!!

I've been reading magic books, by well qualified authors, all my life. I started with books like Hilliard's "Greater Magic", and Tarbell's "Course in Magic", as a young teen. They shaped my life. I started performing as a 13 year old, in 1945, and became an "instant part time professional"! (I "earned" $26.00 in 40 minutes on October 24, 1945! Twenty plus years later, I became a full time professional.

Along the "way", I read the Fleming Series, Hoffman, Maskelynne & Devant, Fitzkee, ETC. (When you are through learning, you are through!) I've read Hugard, Elliott, Annemann, Weber, Ross, Slydini, Ganson, Vernon, Bobo, J. G. Thompson, ET AL!!! They've ALL CONTRIBUTED to my education!

To acquire a well rounded EDUCATION, you need to read MANY books like those suggested.

It almost appears (to me) that you are looking for "instant gratification".

"Magic 101" should introduce you to PRINCIPLES, and basic PSYCHOLOGY!.

You use words like "effect" INCORRECTLY! (innocently enough! You need to define your terms before you speak!

Learn what a "trick" is, what an "effect" is, what a "prop: is, what 'MAGIC" IS!!!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Corrado
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Corrado
Mr. Oslund, it was just a survey. Nothing more. Thank you for your, as always, kind words.
ekins
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
513 Posts

Profile of ekins
I agree with Dick that there isn't a single perfect book, but as someone who enjoys books, I very much like surveys like this. Because everyone's opinion and experience is different, they often times point out a book that I had somehow missed before which allows me to continue to add to my magic education.

-Brian
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Classic Secrets of Magic by Bruce Elliot.
Very inexpensive copies abound.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
conjurormatt
View Profile
Regular user
Ft. Worth, TX
181 Posts

Profile of conjurormatt
"The Amateur Magician's Handbook" by Henry Hay (5th Ed). Is a fairly well rounded book, if a little dated with mentions of vhs tapes, and audio tape players (things I grew up with, I simply mean dated to our younger generation). The other biggest early contributor to my early education was Mark Wilson's "Complete Course in Magic." Either one is a great single book. But, I also have to agree that there isn't one book that truely meets the criteria.

Cheers!
Matthew Martin
"Merely to be acquainted with the basic secret of a card trick, in no way qualifies you to perform it. Few people realize that even a simple trick in the hands of a capable performer can become a minor miracle."
~Dai Vernon
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Than you, Matthew!

When I grew up, we had 78 rpm records!!! Tarbell had just become a printed hard bound book! June Barrows Mussey (Henry Hay)had translated "Illustrated Magic" from German!! Heqq! We were at war with Germany! Walter Gibson, who"ghosted" the Mark Wilson "CCIM" was on the road with Harry Blackstone Senior, TTs were METAL!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
ekins
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
513 Posts

Profile of ekins
Another good book that you don't see mentioned too often that has both tricks and philosophy is "Close-Up Illusions" by Gary Ouellet.

http://www.camirandmagic.com/ps_003.html

-Brian
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Peckham
I vote for close up illusions, also Al Schneiders book.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Just a single book (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL