The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rectangles and pentagons and squares, oh my! » » Do Flexagrams fit here? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Hello Origamists, and Happy new Year!!!

Do Flexagrams fit here? I have heard people mention them, but know absolutely Nothing about them. Anybody know anything about them you can/want to share?

Thanks, and again Happy new Year!!!
Steve Smile
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
Hexaflexagrams, see Dan Harlan's Color Mixer. A version is still made by a number of people.

Is is a five sided nearly flat object with a color on each side; say red on one and blue on the other. Then by manipulating it, you now have two other colors, and this goes on for a variety of colors. Intriguing visual stuff, but without a good story, it isn't very magical.
The Doctor Knows.....
leftytheclown
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
255 Posts

Profile of leftytheclown
Check the web for sites on Flexigrams. Eric Kenneway's Complete Origami A-Z shows you how to fold two types. Yes, you need a story to go with it, otherwise it is just a curiosity.
Lefty (aka) Sterling Dare
Author: Money Menagerie
Book and DVD
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You will find much more if you use the more widely accepted term "flexagon" when you google.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of papawemba
Hello Steve,

In the Shane ebook "Impossible matter" (6$), you'll find plan to make a flexagon and to use it for a multiple prediction.
Hypecard and Neale trapdoor card also inside !

Nicolas
thoughtsexplorer
View Profile
Elite user
Elite... not D-Lite!
424 Posts

Profile of thoughtsexplorer
Check Gardners "encyclopedia of impromtu magic". Hexa-hexa-flexagon with description and funtions (in the paper section)
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
560 Posts

Profile of pradell
Just performed my old hexaflexagon for my mother in law's 80th birthday party. It came with my 70's record of Doug Henning's "The Magic Show." And at the end of Doug's hexaflexagon color changes is his quote, "The art of a magician is to create wonder. If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives become filled with joy."

:magicrabbit:
nornb
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of nornb
Robert E. Neale's new (Oct 2008) book 'This is not a Book', Hermetic Press, has several Flexagon routines.

Wheel of Life - with a trihexaflexogon.
A Very Personal Computer - using a tetra-tetraflexagon (with shades of trapdoor card)

He also has work on the Hyper Card including a Hyperflexagon (and Hypertower) as well as his own Hoaxcard (and Hoaxtower)

It's a good book, lots of other, non-flexagon material in it.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have plans on how to construct flexagons from 4 to 12 'sides' --
for some of the more complex ones it's almost impossible to find all of the hidden manifestations. Instead of colors you can put numbers on the panels.

In case anyone is interested I can copy them and send. Think I can find them.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Phil Pearce
View Profile
Loyal user
Dallas, GA
260 Posts

Profile of Phil Pearce
Check out "Farky Hollis Predicts", a Frank Garcia effect. It uses a tetratetraflexagon.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rectangles and pentagons and squares, oh my! » » Do Flexagrams fit here? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL