The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Pavel Krazy Knot (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
209 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
Needing help here! I have the rope (Pavel does excellent work!), but not the instructions for the routine. Sure, I can figure out the basics to free the knot, but I am sure Pavel worked out the nuances!
Thanks,
Lynn
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Have no idea what you mean by your words, just to vague, to know what you are referring to as nuances.

Pavel presents most of his magic to music. He just goes from effect to effect, in most of all his acts.

I immediate purchased Krazy Knot after seeing the late great Karroll Fox present this effect when he was M.C. at an Abbott's Magic Get-To-Gether evening show. It was a stunner and very funny, as only Karroll could perform.

Here is a video of Pavel. His 2nd or 3rd effect is the Krazy Knot. I post this in hopes you will have some understanding of how Pavel presents his inventive magic.

The ending to this effect, of which Pavel sells separately, is a good kicker and ending to the effect.

If you are referring to performing the trick, most stage magic do not come with detailed presentation instructions, it is up to each individual to create their own presentation that suites their character and personality.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Lynn,

Bill has given you the facts on Pavel.

Pavel created some clever TRICKS (here comes the BUT!) But, he never really had an ACT. For example, he got the ED SULLIVAN SHOW in the late '50s or early '60s. He had five small "boxes" on little stands on stage. Each box had a letter: P A V E L. He walked from box to box, removed a prop, such as a piece of rope, performed a trick with the prop, then walked to the next box, and, repeated the action. When he finished doing the trick with the prop from the last box, he was done.

Karrell Fox was MC of one of the big convention shows. The committee had booked the talent. Pavel was one of the performers. Karrell and I were discussing the line up. Karrell said, "I'll put him between two strong acts! He's definitely not an opener, and, very definitely not a closer.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
209 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
Thanks Dick and Bill.... What I was looking for was the best way to unsnap and rejoin the gimmicks(nuances). Sure, just make a bunch of knots and swap the gimmicks, but I would have thought he would have spelled out in instruction how to best do the moves. I will take a look at the videos to get an idea.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I too have spent a fair bit of time with this trick trying to find the most efficient way of doing the dirty work that needs to be done towards the end of the effect. Also, I only recently came across the video that Bill posted and I have to say I hadn't thought of the idea of 'threading' the ends through the knot several times as Pavel does. This helps prevent the knot from becoming too elongated. My solution to this was to double the rope in half at the start and tie the knots in the doubled over rope.

For the dirty work at the end I found it easier to wrap the ends around the knot in opposite directions so that the joins lay next to each other. The dirty work felt more disguised like this but having said that it doesn't look particularly suspicious in the video the way Pavel is doing it.

I think I've mentioned this before but I wrote to Pavel after buying the trick from him suggesting that the 'short' length might be better if it's join was offset from the centre as this was the part that has to be pushed into the knot and so the most strain was being put on the most 'vulnerable' spot on this short rope.

Kind man that he was he wrote to thank me for my suggestion and included a gimmick for me for free made as I had suggested.

Although I like the effect I haven't been able to find a place for it in my show. I regard this as a short fall of my scripting rather than as a failing of the effect which I can't make either funny enough or magically strong enough to warrant the time takes to get to the end. (And that's even with the rope doubled over) In my hands it's just a bit too twee which is a shame because I really like the effect and think it has a lot of merit.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
209 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
Neal.... I have experimented with the same approach. Thanks for the tips. I think it is more of an MC bit.

I too remember seeing the Ed Sullivan clip with the boxes.

And yes, a very generous man. I booked him for a lecture in Atlanta years ago and had some time with him. Very likable and very creative.

Lynn
Magic_son
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Magic_son
I bought what I thought was a junior walking knot/krazy knot combo. However, when I received it, it did not have the directions for the krazy knot. could someone forward me the directions that came with the krazy knot so I can at least see if this is a combo rope?
Bruce
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
209 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
Bruce... I would like to see the original instructions as well...
Magic_son
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Magic_son
Hey Fox…
I decided to go back through all my Pavel items and found where I took notes on a VHS I have, entitled Pavel Cabaret Ropes. I found the VHS and had to hook everything up. I watched the video and he explains Krazy Knot in pretty good detail. He actually performs it first on the tape and explains it last. After watching I do have a Krazy Knot, and Jr walking knot, however I do not like the Krazy Knot set up. I think it is too much dirty work. So, I made my own with a different gimmick, even different places. Works great, and will be performing it at the beginning of my show. A great beginning that sets the tone with the right music.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Pavel Krazy Knot (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL