The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Wanted escape footage (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi EA's, wondering if anyone has a youtube link or video of Cliff performing an escape?
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
A quick search on Google came up with.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oHi4VvDV9g
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Please do not use that video for anything. If you have a project in which you need to see me perform; ask me. That video is a terrible example. Almost everything was wrong with it, It was put up without permission and I did not even know I was being filmed at the time.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On May 20, 2017, Cliffg37 wrote:
It was put up without permission and I did not even know I was being filmed at the time.

Can I ask then...... given your statement..... If you had known that it was going to be filmed and posted on YouTube would that have changed anything?
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I suppose not Dave. Good question though. Things that went wrong were mostly not of my making. That escape was filmed at a high school benefit show I did as a favor. A fellow I had worked with several times had a son who was raising money for what ever High School club it was. Somehow they got the donated use of a large professional theater. (No clue how) The theater seats about 1200 people, but it was only a bit more than half full. Right off that changes the energy of a room. My attitude has always been to give the audience a show. They paid to see a show; they deserve to see a show. So I did the show, half full/low energy or not.

I was rattled by the fact that the volunteer dad who was in charge of opening and closing the curtains, made a pass at me before the show. He was very open about it too. I don't care that the man was gay. That isn't my business. I was raised in Greenwich Village New York; the gay capitol of the world. It was just unexpected and threw off my energy and timing just a bit more.

The first thing that went seriously south for me was that someone, probably not malicious in intent, had messed around with the prop for my opening. I was late getting on stage for resenting it. Very embarrassing to have your name called to perform and you not answer for a moment.

The big one was getting a volunteer for the straitjacket. This was likely the biggest audience I ever performed for and absolutely the biggest theater I have ever performed at. When I called for a volunteer between the ages 18 and 60, I got a silent audience. Usually I have no trouble getting volunteers, but in this case with the lights as they were I couldn't see the audience as more than shadows, and many I could not see at all. I wound up calling repeatedly for a volunteer. I finally got one, she was a 14 year old girl. I did not make one sexual joke at all. Not one. When she attached the crotch strap it was so loose that it fell off as soon as I started moving around. I said nothing. There was no way I was going to use the standard material I had prepared with a 14 year old girl. People may have a short memory for shows they enjoy, but a long memory for a rude man making innuendos to a little girl.

Looking at the video for the first time in quite a while, I think it is not as bad as I remembered it. Once I got the little girl off stage, the audience got a little more into it.

I probably should have called for the lights down on stage and the lights up a bit in the audience; I would have been able to see better. I would have to but sadly, while we were using a professional theater, we did not have the professional staff. The lights were on a set it/forget it style. Just "full on" for the whole show.

Ah well. We experience.... We learn.
Magic is like Science,
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On May 21, 2017, Cliffg37 wrote:
I was rattled by the fact that the volunteer dad who was in charge of opening and closing the curtains, made a pass at me before the show. He was very open about it too.
The big one was getting a volunteer for the straitjacket. ... I said nothing. There was no way I was going to use the standard material I had prepared with a 14 year old girl. People may have a short memory for shows they enjoy, but a long memory for a rude man making innuendos to a little girl.......

Should have asked the guy doing the curtains ..... you could have made all the jokes with him....
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dave, thanks for putting up a link.

Cliff, Dave's question was 'If you had known that it was going to be filmed and posted on YouTube would that have changed anything?"
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
In your own time Cliff, don't feel like you are being rushed.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Attention class: this is a perfect example of what we call "Cyber-bullying" which has been condemned in the news media of late and among the children's performers forums here on the Café. No one imagined that it applied to adult magicians and escape artists, but it appears everywhere. It does no good to report it to so-called monitors or "authorities" because they are also bullied by the bullies to say nothing offensive. So we must learn to live with this in our midst. Just learn to recognize it when you see it.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Also, in these times, we cannot go on stage without having a camera pointed at us. Is it inconvenient? Sure. But it's a constant reminder to be on our toes.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On May 25, 2017, Ian McColl wrote:
In your own time Cliff, don't feel like you are being rushed.

Ian I think if you re-read Cliff's post he has sort of answered the question. You have to read between the lines and extrapolate a little (in English lessons in school we refer to it as "inference" - which I am guessing has the same meaning in the USA and Australia (you can never be 100% sure though .... fanny being a good example.... as is "putting on the bush"......they may have slightly different meanings in different places).

I think it's good to have footage of our shows as it can help us to modify, adapt and move forward. It can be a very useful tool.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On May 25, 2017, jimgerrish wrote:
Attention class: this is a perfect example of what we call "Cyber-bullying" which has been condemned in the news media of late and among the children's performers forums here on the Café. No one imagined that it applied to adult magicians and escape artists, but it appears everywhere. It does no good to report it to so-called monitors or "authorities" because they are also bullied by the bullies to say nothing offensive. So we must learn to live with this in our midst. Just learn to recognize it when you see it.

You count asking a person 'what they would have done differently' if they knew a performance was being filmed (their words) in a performance they were not happy with as cyber bullying? Or is it that Ian has asked for a reply?

In teaching (Cliff will possibly agree with this although may call it something different) we call it reflective practice - it's about thinking back on what you did and how to make it better. I cahllange ANYONE on here to say every one of their performances are excellent and cant be improved on to back up the claim.

Also anyone who puts themselves out in the public world as a performing escape artist and magician is opening themselves up to comments on performance. Good bad and indifferent.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On May 25, 2017, Harley Newman wrote:
Also, in these times, we cannot go on stage without having a camera pointed at us. Is it inconvenient? Sure. But it's a constant reminder to be on our toes.

Very true - but any show should be as good as it should be if it were being filmed for a showreel. Well, at least I think it should anyway.

I also openly disagree with Cliff (Not bullying him here I just have a different opinion - and that's OK to have a different opinion - so long as I don't call him names and take the p!ss as I do it). He said "They paid to see a show; they deserve to see a show. So I did the show, half full/low energy or not." I honestly believe if the show is not going to be the normal value that it would be then I thnk that then you should pull the performance. Pop bands, big names all have this dilemma and I think it's something we should be aware of. When anyone is ill - do you go on or pull the show. Thinking of Elton Jon recently I for one wold rather see the normal good quality show than a feeble effort at a show just because people have paid for it. I would much rather it be re-scheduled than watch Elton Jon hacking up blood and coughing all over because he got ill on the way back to the UK.

I would say that this should definitely be the case where there is a variety show....the bill can be filled another way.

The other thing is and I will call you a name here Cliff....... I know you were not doing anything dangerous but .... you are a complete and utter ***........let me explain .... leaving your props where someone can meddle with them! That's a big no-no and a really bad rookie mistake. No one should be having access to your props .... especially when its escape stuff and you could potentially not get out. Come on! Smile I Know you will be agreeing with me on that one - it's a very dire mistake to be making! Dented milk can springs to mind...... Smile Smile
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Harley: Good point, While this was a few years back, I should have considered filming. No one came to me and asked permission, but I should have had that thought in my head. At the Magic Castle where I often perform "overflow," all photography is banned. It is a safer place in that regard, and the lesson was learned. Today I always consider the point that someone might be filming me.

Dave: 1) I will not take that as bullying. You are right, I made a rookie mistake and paid for it.

2) It is quite OK that we disagree on that point. Canceling a show because I am ill would be one thing, though my reputation and that of the venue could suffer for it. I believe that canceling a show due to poor sales is arrogant; "How dare you hire me to perform and then not sell out the theater." That is only OK if the venue makes that choice. If that does happen, I will take my deposit and wish them well, and offer to return if there is a better time for them. However, if you disagree that is fine. As I said this is what "I" believe.

3)Dave said... "In teaching (Cliff will possibly agree with this although may call it something different) we call it reflective practice - it's about thinking back on what you did and how to make it better. I cahllange ANYONE on here to say every one of their performances are excellent and cant be improved on to back up the claim."

Sure Dave, here you and I are in complete agreement.

BTW as to Dave's Original Question, "If I had known I was being filmed and you-tubed, would I have changed anything?" the first four words of my response were, "I suppose not Dave." I don't feel that requires any inference.

For those of you who have never seen Kevin and Kristen's show, I love the fact that Kevin invites the entire audience to film Kristen's water cell escape. This addresses the issue rather directly I think.

When I saw the aforementioned Elton John perform last Christmas in Las Vegas, The audience was told to take all the photos they wanted of the show, just no video. This was largely ignored, but again, it addressed the modern technology that we cannot ignore.

Now, I wonder if anyone will answer this question. Truthfully I expect either no answer, a bull answer, or an attacking answer. But lets see what happens.... "Why would someone want a video of my escapes? and why not just ask me for one?"
Magic is like Science,
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I fully agree with canceling a show (of any kind) due to not selling all the tickets/ enough tickets is not the right thing at all. I firmly believe if you have put on a show and sold tickets you do the show regardless of how many tickets were sold. Unless - and this is the only exception I can think of...... it's fundraising for a charity and you make a loss. But then maybe the person organizing the should consider that and maybe have the shows cost underwritten as part of the fundraising. I did a show for the local village hall. I quoted them £200 for the evening show (cheap at that price). They were full responsible for selling tickets and advertising. They made £30 after they paid me. So I made the decision to gift aid some of my earnings back to them so they made some more money. I would have performed for one person and given them a quality show.

Regarding why someone would want to see a video of you perform I can think of several reasons why someone would. Maybe including (and not saying this is the reason the question was asked ..... just speculating)...... curiosity as you are organizing an escapology conference/event and they wonder about your credentials? Mark and Sheila performed regularly and there was footage of them performing. The group UKEA in the UK has people perform at the meeting each year.... there are some videos online / facebook. Whether that was the original reason you would have to ask Ian directly I guess. He has not shared that thought with me.

Oh and I totally agree that your first three words did not require any inference either.

Do you call it reflective practice in the USA by the way? It's a big thing over here at the moment.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
All of my shows are excellent. That does not have any relationship to my ability to screw up occasionally. Sometimes, I've screwed up, on purpose, because it's taught me more important things.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Dave, possibly not pertinent to this thread, but we have "Guided Practice," "Reflection" and "Independent Practice." The reflection is probably similar to what you are speaking of.

The big push here is now for something called "common core." What I can see of it is they want me to teach Physics via "reading comprehension." This of course is nonsense.
Magic is like Science,
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
I guess that if there is no answer of "what could be done different if one knew they were going to be filmed" then the performance was considered as worthy, skillful and good. There was clapping, so it must have met the mark.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Wanted escape footage (16 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL