The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Secret Societies... (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
G-force
View Profile
New user
Unconscious Mind
36 Posts

Profile of G-force
I think that best source to get huge amount of "secret societys" and their wild names is to read Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum. In fact I'm reading that marvelous book again (maybe the 100th time; I'm a one trick pony) in this summer because I think that book will give looots of inspiration to Mystery Perfomances and Storytelling Magic Smile
...Now tell me all about your pain
Down to the detail...
AceOfJokers
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of AceOfJokers
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2017, G-force wrote:
I think that best source to get huge amount of "secret societys" and their wild names is to read Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum. In fact I'm reading that marvelous book again (maybe the 100th time; I'm a one trick pony) in this summer because I think that book will give looots of inspiration to Mystery Perfomances and Storytelling Magic Smile

Don't forget 'The Prague Cemetery' by Umberto Eco, too.
G-force
View Profile
New user
Unconscious Mind
36 Posts

Profile of G-force
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2017, AceOfJokers wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2017, G-force wrote:

Don't forget 'The Prague Cemetery' by Umberto Eco, too.

Oh yes Ace; I almostforgot: Prague Cemetary is full of cool names and great ideas for building new effects - And I would recomend to visit to Golden Town, Prague too - Old town full of mysteries, black theaters and of cource; The Golem too Smile
...Now tell me all about your pain
Down to the detail...
AceOfJokers
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of AceOfJokers
The best 'Masonic Deck of Cards' is probably the good old 'Rider-Waite' tarot deck.

Arthur Edward Waite was a Freemason and he embedded a great deal of masonic imagery into the designs.

There are many websites offering information on the masonic symbolism and even an iPhone app: https://appadvice.com/app/masonic-tarot-......37696176

From the app website:

"Even if you have seen these Tarot Cards a thousand times, take another look today and see what has been hiding in plain sight.

Arthur Edward Waite was a Freemason, and the Masonic imagery he has embedded within the cards is undeniable. This app will help you discover hidden meanings and symbols contained throughout the deck. You will soon begin to interpret the cards in a new light and understand their full significance.

This app contains all 78 of the Rider-Waite tarot cards as well as detailed original descriptions of each card, as written by the man who created this deck in 1909. As a bonus, all of the cards can be saved to your device and used as wallpaper or shared with your friends."
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
While the Waite-Rider-Smith deck is indeed based on the symbolism created by the Golden Dawn, there are still too many "blinds" placed in the deck for my taste.

Perhaps the finest example of a G.D. deck is the Crowley-Harris deck. Sure the minors lack the scenes that Waite created, but the expressionistic styling is aesthetically pleasing to my eye, and there's always the keywords and astrological notations on the borders to help out.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Malakim
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of Malakim
Maybe you all should take a look at the Deck and Book from Oswald Wirth.
A mason and I would think his Book was groundbreaking for Tarot since he was the first to point out the
magical implications of the Tarot.

"Le Tarot des Imagiers du Moyen Age" I own the German "Die Magie des Tarot"
Its probably this one:
https://www.amazon.de/Tarot-Magicians-Oc......lt+wirth

I can highly recommend this book!
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Secret societies? A society of secrets, maybe, but there is no such thing as a secret society that anyone would know about, that is why they are secret. And if you did reveal their existence you'd be killed in a horrible fashion. Just like embalming..... it is not a secret but there are secrets about it we keep from the knowledge of the public because they would be appalled at what happens to their loved ones during the process. However, I guess there could come a time that secrets are revealed such as Victoria's Secret. Not even Victoria has a secret on the embalming table.

Weepin' Willie
"Revealer of all secrets, including Victoria's"
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I have a routine using the Crowley Tarot and his book "The Heart of the Master".
I shared it with a few people here a 5 or 6 years ago and it was well received. PM if interested and I will share it. You will obviously need the book and the cards.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Secret Societies... (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL