The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » A long time ago... (36 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Aug 27, 2017, Eric Evans wrote:
Amazing. I guess you guys see the words I write but somehow don't understand them. I guess it's my fault, didn't make myself clear enough. Or maybe y'all aint reading the words closely enough. Maybe you are shrouded in a bias of yourselves; looking after your own interests.

Whatever.

However or whatever, you all helped me make my point.

And continue to.

Siding nap time? Not enough fiber? Kids running on your lawn?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
One thing ya gotta admit ...... Eric sure started an interesting thread that's drawing quality people with quality responses. Great reading.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Lets get this straight. I didn't attach myself to Cellini Eric to make a name for myself. And attaching my self to Cellini didn't make me well known. Doing 30,000 shows did....talent did Eric....releasing Tales from the Streets with Danny Hustle which many would call that the bible of street magic. Or I might be well known eric because of the 120 products Ive produced for magicians or perhaps the most innovative magic product on the market today, Reel Magic.

Do me a favor Eric forget my name and don't use it.....
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Kosmo, really, why would I do you any favors? Besides, I've done you a great favor already years ago; I'm one of the people you should be thanking.

There's another name that I remember and will never forget: Ted Brainard. I remember about 2001 meeting him in the magictalk.com chat room. Ted asked me about Cellini as Ted wanted to learn street magic. I told Ted that Cellini would change his life, and change it he did. What Ted didn't know is that Cellini chose Ted, because Ted was unhappy at his present job and wanted to become a street magician. And Cellini liked Ted, Ted was a family man. Something that Cellini respected in any man.

What Cellini didn't realize was that Ted would become Kosmo, and by the end of the third Street Performers dvd, kosmo sat on a park bench with Cellini, talking and acting like he was Cellini's equal. Even though Kosmo’s show consisted of Gazzo's lines with a little of Cellini and Danté thrown in for good measure. Is that what you put on your Tales from the Street video? Gazzo's lines and Danté's technique?

How many of your products that you put out are based on your own work? How many of your products did you offer before the Street Performers series that Cellini did? I have a creeping feeling that the answer to both is zero. Besides, who am I kidding, I doubt you'd give me an honest answer anyway.

Remember when you told me, and others, that those dvds would be your retirement? I thought, “what about Cellini's retirement?” Yes, you produced and presumably still produce a good product, but it's always someone else's material, someone else's work.

It’s no wonder that Cellini, until his dying day, thought that he’d been betrayed by one Kozmo (Ted). Kozmo had taken him on a long ride to nowhere. Leveraging Cellini's name into good standing with Murphy's based largely upon the success of Cellini's videos.

Yeah, I only wish that I could forget your name(s).
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Why do you have to gt me involved in your insanity....im not going to discuss cellini in a negative way on a public forum, I loved him too much..keep me out of your ridiculous conversation....
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2017, Kozmo wrote:
Why do you have to gt me involved in your insanity....im not going to discuss cellini in a negative way on a public forum, I loved him too much..keep me out of your ridiculous conversation....

I didn't get you involved, you chose to involve yourself.

It's interesting to me that in spite of the many allegations I made, you chose to write me off as insane and immediately attack Cellini by...choosing not to attack Cellini. Out of professed love no less.

So you dispense with every point I raised by calling me insane, and are to be considered a good guy because you wouldn't attack an old, deceased Master of an art form that you now make your living from--in an ancillary way.

I think I got it.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2017, writeall wrote:
Creativity is overrated.

I don't know about that!

But there's nothing wrong, when new, to perform tricks exactly as the creator suggests/does.
Especially, as someone new, you don't know what you don't know so at least you have a starting point. Better that then trying to make changes that might have already been tossed aside by the originator.

As one matures the creativity starts to come out naturally from experience.

The tricks that were once "someone else's" are now yours, done with your own voice, and you have no idea how they got there or how your original and best lines/bits ever came to be. And since your experiences are unlike anyone else's, that's how your routines become unique, and the best they can be.

Of course there are those that don't learn from experience and continue to just be clones of someone else, but I think that is probably the exception, not the rule.

I also don't think there's anything wrong with associating one's self with other great performers. I'd love to be able to spend more time with the magicians I look up to, to learn, share, or maybe just as friends.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
HA!
Frank Starsani,...
'The Ambitious Card' (!),
managed to sneek "the F-word",
into a Post(!).
Un-censored.
Un-fearfull.
Un-return-able.

And in doing so,
contributed one of the finest Posts I've read.

Thanks Frank!
Altho we seem to say 'the word' less and less,
...it's great seeing it in print.
"Friends".

It's a really great post Frank.
thanks,
gallagher

p.s.:Stamped in the side of the English two pound coin:
STANDING ON THE SHOULDERS OF GIANTS

Friedrich Nietzsche wrote a nice little story along these lines,
in 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra'.
Zarathustra carries a dwarf, on his shoulder,
to great heights,
in order to share with him "his greatest vision."
Apon reaching the 'mount',
Zarathustra, with a smile and great joy, says, "Look."
The dwarf replies, "At what?"

In respect to Jim Cellini,
if Kozmo hadn't interviewed him,
...filmed him,
,..sent him around lecturing,...
For the most part, in his own words, actions, and desirers,..
who would have?
who else DID?

Jim Cellini today,
would not be a 'Legend',
he would be a 'rumour'.

Who else noticed.,.."At what?"

yeah, there were a few magical visionaries,..
but for the most,
myself included,..
"At what?"

Who took the chance,..
took the drive,..
asked the questions,..
took the time,..
shared the info,...?

I think we should let go of the minimal ('money-imal') disappointments,..
Money?
(i believe Cellini, himself, was,..at one time,
was "passed the buck".)
I think what is shared,
are stories, techniques, philosophy(!).
,..accessible, understandible,
for the masses,..
we dwarfs.

Together with Jim Cellini's own books,
what sources are there?

p.s.s.: Eric, Kozmo,..team up for an interview.
,..."Friends of Cellini."
I know, there would be a REAL interest!
Hearing what you both learned,
"...from a friend",
would be a great tribute.
,..from two very capable and qualified.

Set up on the next corner.
Drop the Hat.
Share with us you Stories, Skills, Visions.
,.the ones you're learned.
,..the ones you've earned,
...the ones past on to you.

I think this is what Street Performing is about.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2017, TheAmbitiousCard wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2017, writeall wrote:
Creativity is overrated.

I don't know about that!

But there's nothing wrong, when new, to perform tricks exactly as the creator suggests/does.
Especially, as someone new, you don't know what you don't know so at least you have a starting point. Better that then trying to make changes that might have already been tossed aside by the originator.

As one matures the creativity starts to come out naturally from experience.

The tricks that were once "someone else's" are now yours, done with your own voice, and you have no idea how they got there or how your original and best lines/bits ever came to be. And since your experiences are unlike anyone else's, that's how your routines become unique, and the best they can be.

Of course there are those that don't learn from experience and continue to just be clones of someone else, but I think that is probably the exception, not the rule.

I also don't think there's anything wrong with associating one's self with other great performers. I'd love to be able to spend more time with the magicians I look up to, to learn, share, or maybe just as friends.

I wish that I had said that!"
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
Let me point something out. There are only a very few people in the magic community that are truly original. A few that come to mind are Jim Steinmeyer, Rudy Coby & Dan Sylvester, none of them mould make it on the streets. Period!

There are certainly no "original" acts in busking. At least none that can survive or sustain any kind of longevity. It's not with the risk. I'll tell you what works for a busker..."The Classics" period. Lines? Use the ones that are tested and work. What everyone calls Gazzo lines actually existed long before Gazzo, he was just the guy who brought them to all of us.

Most importantly, you have to be entertaining. There are people who are masters of sleight of hand, but they are simply not entertaining. Therefore, they don't make the hats they could be making. Then, they complain and pick apart everything everyone else does. Crazy-talk, if you ask me.

I'll share this, in my opinion, there are two and ONLY two resources that are solid, no fluff material for the streets:

#1 The Art of Krowd Keeping by Gazzo, written by Danny Hustle
#2 Tales from the Street DVD by Kozmo and Danny Hustle

Now, I do not think there is anything wrong with coping someones act, verbatim, if you paid for or learned directly from someone because eventually, you will start to develop your own style and presentation which will be an extension of who you learned from.

Take for instance Sergio or James, both learned directly from Gazzo. For a while it was verbatim, but if you see them today, you can easily identify their individual styles and how they have extended their own personality and character into their acts.

I used to be called a Gazzo clone, myself. I really didn't care because while the people who were whining like school girls were working 9-5, I was out there in the trenches getting paid to learn. Who's better off now? Well...I'm still performing for a living and their still working 9-5 in a cubicle. You tell me!

Some folks just never learn. They let their big egos and sleight of hand mastery get in the way and think their better than everyone else.

So, my question to you Eric is "Why do you care?" Are you looking for someone to teach you something new? What is the motivation to alienate the entire magic community? I really don't understand the reason for posting something so abrasive.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Cbguy....heres my deal. I wish that people wouldn't do my show line for line. I wish they would find their own way BUT that being said. Im honored that people feel that way about my work and Im blessed by virtually hundreds of emails and notes from people who are out there doing MY material and happy that its impacted their lives. I say this every time I lecture.

Its my wish that someone is inspired by my work and go out and give it a try and have the same kind of success that I've had because I truly am the most blessed man on the planet. that's how I feel...

Kozmo
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hmm,
this Thread has had more twists, turns, and hops(!),
then a belly-dancer with jock itch!

Reading Cbguy's post, however,
last night;
I came back again to Eric Evan's 'original' post.

When you see someone,
vanishing coins and 're-finding' them,
in their eye,..
you're seeing an original piece of Eric Evans.

When someone vanishes a wand, within a silk,
shows both sides of the silk,
then re-producues the wand,
..from the silk,..
....it's probably a version from Eric Evans.

When you hear someone telling jokes about 'diapers',
...it's probably a few original lines from Eric Evans.

When you see someone vanishing, producing,...palming, back-palming(!)
3' jumbo coins,...surrounded,..
blowing the socks off of the gaffers,
it probably IS Eric Evans(!),..
because no one else CAN!

Cb, reading your thought, that there is NO originality out here,
..on the Streets;
I could really feel with Eric Evans' original post.

I admitt,
there isn't MUCH originality (🙃),
but guys ARE trying.
I see it.

And, when you're an Artist,
like Eric Evans;
I think the pains,
of the work and dedication,
...combined with the frustrations
of seeing 'lifted regurgitation'...
I can begin to understand his,...?
His,....
his 'initial post'.

My final thought is:
Folks, strive to find your voice,
your twists,
your "feeling of magic",..
and pray for the courage to show it.

Otherwise,
our only feeling of 'spontanious improvisation'
will be
that jock itch.
gallagher

p.s.: Eric, thanks for the push.
,..it felt like a punch(!).
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
349 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
Quote:
On Sep 5, 2017, Kozmo wrote:
Cbguy....heres my deal. I wish that people wouldn't do my show line for line. I wish they would find their own way BUT that being said. Im honored that people feel that way about my work and Im blessed by virtually hundreds of emails and notes from people who are out there doing MY material and happy that its impacted their lives. I say this every time I lecture.

Its my wish that someone is inspired by my work and go out and give it a try and have the same kind of success that I've had because I truly am the most blessed man on the planet. that's how I feel...

Kozmo

Great attitude Kozmo! Before I bought your DVD or met you during your lecture in Columbia, SC I Had decided I wanted to open my set with a routine of half dollars and close with the chop cup instead of the cups and balls. After seeing your DVD I was glad that the coin set is different from yours as is the chop cup routine. For better or worse, it's mine... although I may start using your coins across routine in mine, if I can make it fit me with my own lines.

Thanks for the help you've given!

Gary
Nickoli Sharpe
View Profile
Regular user
Worldwide
160 Posts

Profile of Nickoli Sharpe
Well, well some feathers have been ruffled.

I think there is a bit of disturbance in the force.
This has been talked about in many circles on the street.
For many years since the Cellini tapes.
I'm sorry to see that there is still so much anger.
Nickoli Sharpe
View Profile
Regular user
Worldwide
160 Posts

Profile of Nickoli Sharpe
I must say anyone that says that there are no original acts busking have not been to Australia.

Really take a trip down under and I guarantee you will see some seriously original acts.

I'll just name a few Richy rich, Forest, Alex, Nimmo, space cowboy, Arizona jones, Shep, tiger lil, and on and on.

For those acts that are copying acts the people whose act is being copied should feel happy someone wanted to do there stuff.

Not saying it's right just saying.
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
Nickoli Sharpe, I take back what I said about no original acts. You have set me straight and I appreciate that.

One thing is for sure, the original post has taking us on an interesting journey : )
Zauberman
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
Contrary, it seems, to most you lot.....I agree with Evans.

I'm not sure why everyone seems up in arms....perhaps there's more of a ring of truth that applies to all, that makes one defensive.

Magicians are a funny/weird lot. A lot of you take up this wonderful craft and a few months later are giving advise....most of it verbatim what has been said or read before.

Originality has been lost, since it is so easy to go on You Tube and learn from there.

What Forum gets the most hits....the Latest and Greatest, by far. That should tell you something.

It's just not here.....but go to any magic club and witness.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » A long time ago... (36 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL