The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Paper Cuts by Armando Lucero and Sandsminds (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
438 Posts

Profile of latentimage
I was going to wait for the release of the physical DVD's of this project, but ended up going with the digital downloads right before the end of the option to purchase the season pass. I'm slowly working my way through the first disc, and here are my impressions:

First of all, the quality of the actual video is excellent. There are four effects here, and they are all great. The teaching is extremely well done, and Sansminds decided to have someone sit in while Armando teaches, and learn along with you. I've always liked this format, since the person learning quite often has the same questions I would have if I were taking the lesson in person. Each effect is complete with a wonderfully written script, and a detailed analysis of not only what you need to do to accomplish the effect, but also why you need to do it. In other words, the psychology and choreography behind why the effects work, and how to use all of this to your advantage. For anyone who knows Armando or is familiar with his work, this shouldn't be a surprise.

My two favorites so far from this release are Taco and The Ascension. I think one of the best tricks in card magic is Armando's Empanada, and Taco is basically another version of this effect that can be performed by regular human beings (with enough practice). Empanada itself is only covered in private lessons with Armando, which I haven't yet been able to attend, so I was quite excited to see this version on here. For me personally, this one effect was worth the entire price of the downloads. Basically, any card named by the spectator unexpectedly appears between two cards that have been set aside before the effect begins. This effect, as with all the others on the DVD, includes moves that you can use with many other effects. I wouldn't say that Taco is "easy" to do, but it is well within the grasp of any competent magician who is willing to put in the work. Once it's ready, this is something I will performing for the rest of my career.

The other effect that I will tell you a little bit about is The Ascension. Out of the four, this was the one I expected to be the least interested in, since I've always really hated the Ambitious Card plot. After watching this version, however, I not only enjoyed the performance of this plot for the first time, but I was also inspired to learn it. The script that Armando includes helps a lot, as it gives a meaning to the effect which really resonates with me. Beyond that, the moves that he includes in this routine are some that I have never seen before, that I feel elevate the piece to an entirely new level. For the average magician, this one may be a little difficult to learn. It certainly is for me, but I'm positive it's going to be worth the effort. I don't perform a whole lot of card magic, so it might be a little easier for you if you do. Even if you already do an Ambitious Card, there are bits and pieces here you can add to any routine to make it better and more interesting.

I should also mention that I particularly enjoyed the end of the video where Armando talks about performing magic for a camera. In this discussion, he covers a lot of different things, including the difference between practicing using a mirror, and practicing using a video camera. I really hope there are segments like this at the end of each of the upcoming downloads. I guess we will see.

In conclusion, for me at least, this is the best video on card magic that I have ever bought. I would give this first part of the release a solid 10/10. This might not be the same for everyone, since the information that's on here is very different than your typical magic DVD. If you are looking for quick tricks to do while walking around at a party, this probably isn't what you are looking for. In order to perform this stuff well, you are going to need to take the time to perfect it, work on a script (either the ones that are provided, or one of your own) and polish everything. You won't be able to put this stuff into your show tomorrow, and for me, that's ok. If you aren't familiar with Armando's work, think Ricky Jay level stuff. You really can't compare the two in a performance aspect, since it's sort of like apples and oranges, but my point is that obviously pieces like this are not learned overnight. This is well choreographed, close-up theatre that happens to use playing cards.

A lot of people like to toss around the term "Master Class" these days, but that's really what this is. For the perceptive student, the information here will not only help you make these tricks great, but will also elevate other areas of your magical performance. I'm primarily a stage magician, there is no doubt that the deeper lessons can be applied there as well. For anybody that wishes that they could study with a real master like Armando in person, this really is the next best thing.
"Come to the edge," he said, They Said "We Are Afraid," "Come to the edge," he said, They Came, He Pushed Them...And They Flew. -Apollinaire

"If there be a skeptical star, I was born under it. Yet I have lived all my days in complete astonishment." -W. MacNeile Dixon
Jon Hackett
View Profile
Special user
UK
737 Posts

Profile of Jon Hackett
Hi thanks for the review. So where the scripts included separately? Or just what Armando said during the video?

What I mean to say is, did the download include anything beyond the video?

Thanks again for an excellent review- perhaps you might like to tell us about all the effects in the video and what else Armando discusses.

Jonathan Hackett
It is not the brains that matter most, but that which guides them -- the character, the heart, generous qualities and progressive ideas. Doystoyevsky
BlackZ
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of BlackZ
I have found only the video to download and nothing more till now... but the video is amazing... nothing new but his way to teach is unique... I suggest that product to anyone... from beginning to advanced...
latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
438 Posts

Profile of latentimage
Yes, the downloads don't come with anything extra, but each effect is presented with a full script. It would be easy to type them up and customize them to your personal performing style. I will try to do some reviews of the other effects when I get to those as well.
"Come to the edge," he said, They Said "We Are Afraid," "Come to the edge," he said, They Came, He Pushed Them...And They Flew. -Apollinaire

"If there be a skeptical star, I was born under it. Yet I have lived all my days in complete astonishment." -W. MacNeile Dixon
Sebastian Oudot
View Profile
Regular user
Somewhere Between Two Worlds
197 Posts

Profile of Sebastian Oudot
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2018, latentimage wrote:
I was going to wait for the release of the physical DVD's of this project, but ended up going with the digital downloads right before the end of the option to purchase the season pass. I'm slowly working my way through the first disc, and here are my impressions:

First of all, the quality of the actual video is excellent. There are four effects here, and they are all great. The teaching is extremely well done, and Sansminds decided to have someone sit in while Armando teaches, and learn along with you. I've always liked this format, since the person learning quite often has the same questions I would have if I were taking the lesson in person. Each effect is complete with a wonderfully written script, and a detailed analysis of not only what you need to do to accomplish the effect, but also why you need to do it. In other words, the psychology and choreography behind why the effects work, and how to use all of this to your advantage. For anyone who knows Armando or is familiar with his work, this shouldn't be a surprise.

My two favorites so far from this release are Taco and The Ascension. I think one of the best tricks in card magic is Armando's Empanada, and Taco is basically another version of this effect that can be performed by regular human beings (with enough practice). Empanada itself is only covered in private lessons with Armando, which I haven't yet been able to attend, so I was quite excited to see this version on here. For me personally, this one effect was worth the entire price of the downloads. Basically, any card named by the spectator unexpectedly appears between two cards that have been set aside before the effect begins. This effect, as with all the others on the DVD, includes moves that you can use with many other effects. I wouldn't say that Taco is "easy" to do, but it is well within the grasp of any competent magician who is willing to put in the work. Once it's ready, this is something I will performing for the rest of my career.

The other effect that I will tell you a little bit about is The Ascension. Out of the four, this was the one I expected to be the least interested in, since I've always really hated the Ambitious Card plot. After watching this version, however, I not only enjoyed the performance of this plot for the first time, but I was also inspired to learn it. The script that Armando includes helps a lot, as it gives a meaning to the effect which really resonates with me. Beyond that, the moves that he includes in this routine are some that I have never seen before, that I feel elevate the piece to an entirely new level. For the average magician, this one may be a little difficult to learn. It certainly is for me, but I'm positive it's going to be worth the effort. I don't perform a whole lot of card magic, so it might be a little easier for you if you do. Even if you already do an Ambitious Card, there are bits and pieces here you can add to any routine to make it better and more interesting.

I should also mention that I particularly enjoyed the end of the video where Armando talks about performing magic for a camera. In this discussion, he covers a lot of different things, including the difference between practicing using a mirror, and practicing using a video camera. I really hope there are segments like this at the end of each of the upcoming downloads. I guess we will see.

In conclusion, for me at least, this is the best video on card magic that I have ever bought. I would give this first part of the release a solid 10/10. This might not be the same for everyone, since the information that's on here is very different than your typical magic DVD. If you are looking for quick tricks to do while walking around at a party, this probably isn't what you are looking for. In order to perform this stuff well, you are going to need to take the time to perfect it, work on a script (either the ones that are provided, or one of your own) and polish everything. You won't be able to put this stuff into your show tomorrow, and for me, that's ok. If you aren't familiar with Armando's work, think Ricky Jay level stuff. You really can't compare the two in a performance aspect, since it's sort of like apples and oranges, but my point is that obviously pieces like this are not learned overnight. This is well choreographed, close-up theatre that happens to use playing cards.

A lot of people like to toss around the term "Master Class" these days, but that's really what this is. For the perceptive student, the information here will not only help you make these tricks great, but will also elevate other areas of your magical performance. I'm primarily a stage magician, there is no doubt that the deeper lessons can be applied there as well. For anybody that wishes that they could study with a real master like Armando in person, this really is the next best thing.

Excellent review. Thanks a lot for that.
Christopher James Rose
View Profile
SansMinds Magic forum Staff
34 Posts

Profile of Christopher James Rose
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2018, Jon Hackett wrote:
Hi thanks for the review. So where the scripts included separately? Or just what Armando said during the video?

What I mean to say is, did the download include anything beyond the video?

Thanks again for an excellent review- perhaps you might like to tell us about all the effects in the video and what else Armando discusses.

Jonathan Hackett

Hey there,

I'm Christopher (the one in the video with Aramndo and the Special Operations Manager for SansMinds Magic) and I just wanted to let you know that all season pass holders will receive the full scripts in written form, with extra notes from Armando, as a series of PDFs that will be delivered to your account on April 1st, once we start shipping the physical DVDs and open up individual digital sales on the website.
BlackZ
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of BlackZ
Super! Thanks for the update!
Dandin
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Dandin
Looks amazing. I will definitely get it.
Mr. Dural
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Mr. Dural
Had a look at disk one. I loved his ambitious card routine presentation. The story was actually interesting - instead of the usual magician dumbed down patter.
Shikina
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
260 Posts

Profile of Shikina
Have people who purchased the Season Pass already received their physical dvds? I bought the pass when it was first offered in February and have yet to receive the physical copies so I would love to know if I am alone in that regard or if that is the general experience.
Christopher James Rose
View Profile
34 Posts

Quote:
On May 4, 2018, Shikina wrote:
Have people who purchased the Season Pass already received their physical dvds? I bought the pass when it was first offered in February and have yet to receive the physical copies so I would love to know if I am alone in that regard or if that is the general experience.

Hi there,

The Season Pass is a digital product only. No physical disks will be sent to any Season Pass holder.
Shikina
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
260 Posts

Profile of Shikina
Quote:
On May 4, 2018, Christopher James Rose wrote:

The Season Pass is a digital product only. No physical disks will be sent to any Season Pass holder.

SansMinds seems to have removed the product description of the season pass since it is Out of Stock. Can you clarify for me what benefit the season pass gave over individual downloads? I thought that physical dvds were part of that benefit but if not I’m struggling to remember what the perks were.
Christopher James Rose
View Profile
34 Posts

Quote:
On May 4, 2018, Shikina wrote:
Quote:
On May 4, 2018, Christopher James Rose wrote:

SansMinds seems to have removed the product description of the season pass since it is Out of Stock. Can you clarify for me what benefit the season pass gave over individual downloads? I thought that physical dvds were part of that benefit but if not I’m struggling to remember what the perks were.

Of course,

It was a pre-order offer. The benefits were 1. Less expensive overall price per volume. 2. Receive the first volume 15 days early from release date. 3.Instant delivery (digital) of Volume 2 and 3 on their release dates. And access to the full scripts with notes that Armando has created for each of his effects.
Agaton
View Profile
Loyal user
Manila
299 Posts

Profile of Agaton
I initially saw this when it was being teased but somehow went under my radar for the past few months. Excited to see this masterclass.
magicmann
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of magicmann
Why is shipping a DVD with Sansminds so expensive. $41.54 for a single DVD to the UK.$124 for 3 DVDs . This is nuts

Paul
asherfox
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of asherfox
They are very greedy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Paper Cuts by Armando Lucero and Sandsminds (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL