The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Houdini's Death (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Roy the Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee, USA
147 Posts

Profile of Roy the Illusionist
I heard that a Houdini claimed that he could withstand a punch to the gut from anybody without pain, and one time backstage a teenager approached him and asked if he really could. But before Houdini could answer the kid punched him and the punch aggravated his appendicitis which caused his death. Is this the most likely explanation or is there another one?
Are you watching closely?
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
"On the afternoon of October 22, 1926, two McGill University students visited Houdini’s dressing room. According to reports, Houdini was looking through his mail, when one of the students, J. Gordon Whitehead, asked Harry if he could indeed withstand any blow to the abdomen, as the magician had previously proclaimed. Harry responded that he could, if given time to brace himself, at which point Whitehead hit Houdini four times in the abdomen, under the impression that Houdini had indeed braced himself for the blows".

He died of peritonitis.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Roy the Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee, USA
147 Posts

Never heard that one before.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Traumatic Peritonitis.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
houdinisghost
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of houdinisghost
We had a lively discussion on this subject on this forum a couple of years ago.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=18
Roy the Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee, USA
147 Posts

Thanks for the link. -Roy
MartiniMagic
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of MartiniMagic
That's how I heard he died.
InstantMagicBen
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of InstantMagicBen
Amazing, amazing person, It's as though he never died..
Dapperdan
View Profile
Regular user
Detroit Area Magicians & Mentalists (DAMM)
136 Posts

Profile of Dapperdan
In Detroit... On Halloween!... Smile
Tada!...

Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
The Spirit Guides of at least two famous Spiritualists (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Mina Crandon) predicted the crossing over of Harry Houdini... It was Fate, Destiny or whatever you call it. Self Fulfilling Prophecy???
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
The most likely explanation is stubbornness. Harry should have seen a doctor after that punch instead of waiting to see if it would heal on its own. A careless mistake can cost you your life.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On May 26, 2016, Leo H wrote:
The most likely explanation is stubbornness. Harry should have seen a doctor after that punch instead of waiting to see if it would heal on its own. A careless mistake can cost you your life.
So what is the final truth to this?????
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
The final truth Slim is that Harry died of peritonitis caused by a ruptured appendix. Penicillin would not be discovered until 1928, two years after his death. That antibiotic could have saved him. He waited too long to see a doctor when the symptoms of appendicitis began to emerge.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2018, Leo H wrote:
The final truth Slim is that Harry died of peritonitis caused by a ruptured appendix. Penicillin would not be discovered until 1928, two years after his death. That antibiotic could have saved him. He waited too long to see a doctor when the symptoms of appendicitis began to emerge.

Amen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
ActionJack
View Profile
Regular user
Pacific NW
120 Posts

Profile of ActionJack
Quote:
On May 22, 2016, Slim King wrote:
The Spirit Guides of at least two famous Spiritualists (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Mina Crandon) predicted the crossing over of Harry Houdini... It was Fate, Destiny or whatever you call it. Self Fulfilling Prophecy???

Ms Crandon made predictions multiple times of Houdinis death I recall reading, as they say even a broken clock is right twice a day. Houdini debunked Crandon and Doyles wife as spirit guides along with many others. The Witch of Lime Street details the story surrounding Houdini and Crandon. There are many interesting books on Houdini and it is interesting how some authors approach his life.
JoshDude849
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of JoshDude849
I still find it crazy that he is still well-known 100 years later. Even though most magicians consider him an "escape artist", he was and still is an icon to everyone.

Crazy stuff...It's now the Legend of Houdini.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Houdini's Death (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL